“Trafiq is ..... Great”

Ranked #25 of 59 Bakeries in Vancouver
Neighborhood: South Main
Neighborhood: South Main
Reviewed December 1, 2013

We have been twice to this great bakery cafe on Main in the mid 20's. The cakes and sweets are dreamy and the coffees, hot chocolates and teas sooth you when it is cold and rainy. Minimalist atmosphere and ambiance. Nicely done baked goods of all sorts.

There are newer reviews for Trafiq Cafe and Bakery

Reviewed November 16, 2013

I can't review the cafe because I haven't eaten here. I did, however, order a chocolate raspberry cake (large, $52.00) for a dinner party. It was truly one of the best cakes I've ever had, and the people at the party all said the same thing. It could easily feed 18 people, and not only looked beautiful but was so delicious. Not overly sweet, so moist and rich, and worth every penny. I would definitely order a cake from Trafiq again.

Reviewed December 13, 2012

My friends and I had started going to Trafiq Cafe and Bakery on Main St. about one evening a week for the past two months or so. We saw last week that they were staying open later on Thursdays so we switched from our usual Wednesday meeting so that we could stay and visit a little longer. We would normally meet at 5:00 and stay until they closed at 7:00, tonight we planned to stay until 7:30! -- we would have 'dinner' (quiche and salad, that kind of thing) and later coffee and dessert. The music has been loud in the past but tonight it was really blasting. We were the only ones in the place, except for a lone woman sitting at the front. Keep in mind that this place is billed as a 'cafe and bakery' and so loud music doesn't really seem to fit. After about 10 minutes of this, we asked if they would turn the music down. The women we asked (not the owner) disappeared to the back for quite some time, but there was no sign of the music being turned down. When she finally reappeared (music still way too loud) she said nothing to us and just started working behind the counter, cleaning up, etc. and ignoring us. As we could no longer carry on a conversation we decided to leave, but at the door we asked the woman we assumed to be one of the owners, why they wouldn't turn down the music (or at the very least why they didn't explain why they wouldn't turn down the music). She said they were going in a new direction (or words to that effect) and that they closed down between 6:00 and 7:00 (no one told us) so they could clean up, etc. and open up again at 7:00 as a lounge. A lounge? It so does not look or feel like a lounge -- it looks and feels like what it is, a cafe and bakery. Rude response by the owner and they basically drove us out of the place both with the loud music and with the attitude. Then there was one, one customer that is, left in the cafe. It looks really inviting to people walking by The Trafiq CAFE and BAKERY, I mean lounge, when there's only one person in the rather large room -- looks real popular. OK, it's your call owner lady, but we won't be back and we'll be sure to give your place a thumbs down to anyone who'll listen. Great PR which gives way to great word of mouth.

2  Thank Dublinvanaire
Reviewed November 19, 2012

Highly recommend any of the desserts and sandwiches. Not only are the cakes stunningly beautiful, they are tasty and unbelievably inexpensive. (similar slices of cake are almost double the price at mediocre cafes!)
Usually we split the sandwiches because they are larger than normal and a cake because they are so rich and sinful.

The cafe/bistro look is elegant and modern. I feel like I'm in Brooklyn or London!

Reviewed February 18, 2012

With no plans or thoughts of where to brunch we wandered down Main Street looking for inspiration, until we arrived at Trafiq. This is a place that we have walked past many times while on our way elsewhere, always thinking, "yes, we'll go there next week." Well, this week was the week for Trafiq.

A cute neighbourhood cafe and bakery (with a second location in West Van), the decor is absolutely fitting and adorable. The street view is picturesque with it's large panel windows and small cafe style outdoor seating. The inside has the feeling of what I would call French rustic and Dave would call Italian rustic. Though, neither of us having been to France or Italy, arguing seems pointless.

Friendly, helpful, and incredibly efficient staff behind the counter allows Trafiq to keep up with the high volume of customers who keep them busy from the time the doors open in the morning to when they close, while still maintaining a level of customer service that feels special.

I was swayed to order a piece of cream cheese and walnut coffee cake after eating a sample of it as well as an incredible lemon tartlette and a Kahlua spiked latte. Dave resisted the coffee cake and instead ordered a ham and swiss croissant sandwich and a glass of freshly squeezed orange juice.

The portion size of the coffee cake was enormous and perfect for sharing. The lemon tartlette was the best I have ever tasted. My Kahlua spiked latte was delicious, though a little rich. Dave noshed his ham and swiss croissant, which was fresh and fabulous. The only problem with the fresh orange juice, according to Dave, was that there wasn't enough of it.

Over all our experience at Trafiq was perfect, that is except for the stroller parking lot.