“Good food and value”

La Taqueria
Ranked #308 of 3,897 Restaurants in Vancouver
Cuisines: Mexican
Neighborhood: Shaughnessy
Description: We make our tacos from traditional recipes with local, organic and sustainable products, when possible. Our menu offers different types of fillings which can be served as a Taco (soft tortilla, made locally & homemade style) or as a Quesadilla. La Taqueria was born in 2009, through the idea of creating a taco stand, which resemble the taste and feel of street tacos around Mexico. These tacos are usually the best, a real Mexican tradition.
Reviewed April 19, 2014

I ordered the sample plate with different things and was very very happy! It's authentic Mexican corn tacos with delish flavors. They also have different chili and condiments such as onions, jalapeno and habanero sauce. Service is fast, the price is right; it's simple, authentic food at its best value!

1  Thank Lucy_Pottinger

Reviewed April 7, 2014

This place is the bomb. And I would bet the most amazing hangover cure! My husband and I popped in and tried a variety of items, but the stars were the cheese quesadilla (surprisingly HUGE AND GOOEY) and the De Lengua taco, which was so delicious we had 2 servings. Amazing food.

Reviewed March 22, 2014

Very good real Mexican food in Vancouver, B.C. In a fun and simple setting, with reasonable prices, authentic flavors, not Tex-Mex, even the drinks are authentic.

Reviewed January 26, 2014

From my blog "50 in 52 Vancouver," auditing TripAdvisor's Top 50 Vancouver restaurants. Read my entire review at http://50in52vancouver.blogspot.ca/2014/01/28-la-taqueria-january-17-2014.html

THE STATS - Out of 10

Taste: 7 - It was good, but not blow your mind good.
Creativity: 5 - They're classic, authentic flavours, so it's hard to rate them high on creativity
Service: 7 - Very friendly staff, but not sit-down quality service
Bang for your buck: 10 - You can't get 8 decent tacos for $16.50 anywhere else
Overall experience: 7.5 - Pretty good Friday night.

Would I go back? Probably not, just because the menu doesn't change. Though we didn't try all the tacos, there were only 3 that we didn't.
Who would I recommend it to? Couples or pairs. There isn't much seating, and getting a table for more than 2 could take a long while. Don't bring your kids! There were 3 horribly behaved kids on their way out when we walked in, and in a small space it's especially aggravating for everyone. Bring your annoying vegetarian and vegan friends! Don't bring your picky friend who thinks Taco Bell is a real Mexican feast.
For what occasion? Quick dinner or lunch, or even a mid-afternoon snack
It was better than: Any "americanized" mexican restaurant
It wasn't as good as: Grumman 78 back in MTL
Expect: To wait for a few minutes for a seat, and to feel the pressure to leave as quickly as possible from the people waiting in line eye-ing you down. Though the beers are cheap, you won't feel like sticking around for 2-3, which sucks. $4 beers!

Top 50 Worthy? Maybe not. The tacos were good, and it's a great value, but I could probably find 50 better restaurants. I was glad we went, and I did enjoy the food, but it doesn't get an A for Amazing unfortunately.

Reviewed January 5, 2014

This is a taco restaurant, like a lunch counter or diner, and in that category I would give it 4.5 stars. Fast, friendly service for fresh food. My teenager and I were full after 4 mini-tacos each at $2-3 per taco. Great flavour, we really enjoyed the green mole special.