“Another great beer and food place...DTES”

Bitter Tasting Room
Ranked #2,762 of 3,948 Restaurants in Vancouver
Cuisines: German
Dining options: Private Dining
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Chinatown
Reviewed June 17, 2012

After living and working around the DTES for three years, I've seen some major transformations. There really are some amazing new restaurants and drinking establishments...many that I frequent.

I can't fault Bitter Tasting Room. The selection of exquisite beers and the spot on English and European small bites are true quality!! I had a lovely stout on draft, and it was reasonably priced and smooth. I also had a belgian Krjek beer that was phenomenal but $16, yikes. The scotch egg was amazing, best ever, said from someone who was raised on them. Deviled eggs were very satisfying, and the pretzels okay. In all it is a great place, Except, ...for me.. it is across the street from Pigeon Park. It was hard for me to sit there and enjoy a $16 glass of fine beer, while some of the most destitute among us drifted past the glass front. Still having a hard time coming to terms with these very fine dining places next to some hard living. A little too contrasty for me, to enjoy. Maybe it's hypocritical, my problem. I can't fault the quality and service.

Reviewed May 30, 2012

We enjoyed a wide selection of beers, knowledgable and friendly staff, and nice atmosphere at The Bitter Tasting Room. Lots of unique beers and fairly reasonably priced. Would return the next time I'm in Gastown.

1  Thank StylinScotty
Reviewed February 9, 2012

As part of a "dinner club" who go out about every 2 months to try out new restaurants in Vancouver, Bitter Tasting Room was the choice for February 2012. It was a Wednesday night so not very busy at all. Three of us had the cocktail, Bitter Chill. While it sounded refreshing on the menu, it just tasted like watered down beer to me. Maybe a bit more ginger would have made it tastier or a little less ice and more beer...? I then had the Scotch Egg as an appetizer. It was totally delicious and came hot and with no greasy deep fried taste to it. The sausage wrapping was very tasty. For my meal, I chose the Debricner. It said it came with sauerkraut and pickled vegetables. They might as well not have bothered for the size of the portion. I received about a tablespoon of each. With five good size sausages, this was just not enough to counteract all that meat. I ended up taking 2 sausages home. There are two desserts offered and one was not available. It didn't matter too much as I wasn't interested in the chocolate one anyway so had the lemon and it was quite tasty. A layered dessert served in a jar. A couple of friends had the chicken pot pie and while it was tasty, it was also lacking in something more than just pieces of chicken, gravy and a biscuit. No vegetables except some celery. All in all, not a bad experience, I just wouldn't go again expecting a "real" dinner.