“Bad customer experience and really expensive”

Granville Island Boat Rentals and Fishing Charters
Book In Advance
More Info
$135.18*
and up
Seal Colony 3-Hour Boat Rental for 5 to 6 People
More attraction details
Owner description: Granville Island Boat Rentals, located in the heart of downtown Vancouver, has the safest and most modern boat rental fleet in Vancouver. We have been servicing all of Vancouver’s speed boat rental needs since 1982.If it’s zipping around the harbour you’re after, or a peaceful, leisurely cruise, we have the boats for you and your friends. There is no better way to experience the magnificent waters of Vancouver.Adventure awaits .. look up and catch sight of a bald eagle or gaze down at a harbour seal. Boating in and around Vancouver is truly an unforgettable experience, nothing brings a family or friends together like a day on the water. Put us down on your itinerary for fun. Reserve your spot today!Granville Island Boat Rentals has partnered with the most experienced deep sea fishing guides in Vancouver. They know all the secret fishing grounds and some of the best fishing often takes place within minutes of leaving our dock. Granville Island is uniquely located in the center of most of Vancouver’s prime fishing spots.Our fishing guides have some of the fastest and newest fishing boats in Vancouver. Each boat is fully equipped with all the fishing equipment you will need to catch the big one. The chinook salmon has always been BC sport fishing’s crown jewel. This trophy fish can tip the scales at more than 32kg/70lb.
Reviewed October 30, 2012

I’ve purchased a Groupon for the Granville Island rental boats. The location is convenient and the scenery is nice. I was extremely disappointed. I would NOT RECOMMEND GRANVILLE ISLAND RENTAL BOATS and would definitely tell people to go to Horseshoe Bay instead. The bad experience I had from Granville Island rental boat is about customer service and price. First I’ve tried to go a week ago when it was grayish but not raining and they were closed, not sure why. I tried to call but nobody answered and there was no voicemail. I’ve followed up with a few calls and sent them an email via the email indicated on their website… no answer, ever. That was bad, but well, I had my voucher for 1 free hour, so I wanted to use it. I went the following week, I made a booking this time, so I was sure they would be open. First bad surprise, they request a minimum of 2 hours boat rental on weekends, that rule is really lame. Second bad surprise, the rental doesn’t include gas… what? What a rip off! They charge $30 per hour for gas on top of the hourly rate. And wait, they don’t tell you until you are paying. Also, the girl who was working there was not the most friendly or empathetic person. It seems that it is catered to rip tourists off and they don’t care about service. I live in Vancouver and love Granville Island except Granville Island rental boats. So if you want to have a good time on a boat, don’t go there. Bad customer experience and really expensive.

1  Thank Tony G
GIBR B, Manager at Granville Island Boat Rentals and Fishing Charters, responded to this reviewResponded November 5, 2012

Thank you for your review of Granville Island Boat Rentals, we appreciate your feedback.

We regret that you did not enjoy your experience with us. Our priority is to provide a memorable experience for all of our customers both locals and tourists alike and we have been doing so for the last 30 years from our prime downtown location at Granville Island. We are however really glad to hear that you did enjoy the amazing scenery and convenience of our downtown location.

We would like to address your concerns relating to price and customer service.

Granville Island Boat Rentals strives to offer the best value for money to all our customers. Our hourly boat rental rates are the most competitive in downtown Vancouver . In common with all boat rental companies in downtown Vancouver, insurance and gas are not included in the hourly rate.

As was stated on Groupon, our website and again during our phone conversation at the time of making your reservation, a 2 hour minimum boat rental during weekends is required and fuel and insurance is not included in the hourly rate.

With regard to the fuel cost, we only charge for the fuel you use .Our records indicate your total fuel charge, for your 2 hour rental, was $26.40 (which works out at $13.20 per hour). You were not charged $60 ($30 per hour) for fuel as stated in your review above.

Regarding the weekend prior to your rental, as the season was coming to a close, we were forced to close due to the poor weather and high winds. We do not send customers out on the water in unsuitable boating conditions due to safety concerns. We apologize that you were not able to get through to us over the phone that weekend as the office was not staffed due to the closure. We did however receive voicemails on that weekend and it is unfortunate your voicemail did not come through. With regards to emails we aim to reply to every email we receive within 24hrs. We have searched through our email inbox but cannot seem to locate the email that you refer to in your review.

We are truly upset that you did not have an amazing time with Granville Island Boat Rentals.

Again, we thank you for taking the time to leave your review and we do appreciate your feedback.

All reviews
"spanish banks"
"beautiful city"
"sunny day"

Reviewed May 7, 2012 via mobile

First off, I'd like to say thanks for the help getting us started. Didn't really have it all sorted beforehand but the staff quickly got us underway. The boat we took was totally sweet and just convinced me to go buy one myself :) They also helped out with a few ideas to fill in the day so we could make theist of it all.
Big cheers for New Zealand! Will be back soon I hope and out on the water again with the Granville Island guys again.

2  Thank KampferAs
Reviewed May 7, 2012

We had never rented a speed boat before but we had heard from a friend it was really special. The staff were great giving us all the information we needed and they gave us lots of ideas of where to see. Our boat was stunning and looking back over the Vancouver skyline is a memory I’ll keep forever. My favourite day of our trip. Thank you so much!

1  Thank Yasmin C
Reviewed March 26, 2012

Hi guys .. what can i say .. We had a wonderful time on your boats .. cant wait to experience vancouver from the water again when we return in August. Thanks again .. Tracey from Calgary

2  Thank TraceyWA