“Great Date Activity”

Neighborhood: Gastown
New Westminster, Canada
“Great Date Activity”
Reviewed October 20, 2012

On Valetines Day we took a class here. It was a great experience.

The class had the right mixture of lessons and hands on experience. They teach you, have you cook a bit, and the eat your creation and repeat for the next course. With each course they offer wine or beer. Best of all while you are eating they clean up you cooking/preparation area. And once you are done they give you all the recipes. Great date experience.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Ottawa, Canada
“Truly outstanding cooking class experience”
Reviewed August 9, 2012

Unlike most cooking classes, this one is fully participatory. I've attended classes where you simply watch the chef and sample the food, or - you cook a portion of the meal. Not at the Dirty Apron. Here, they demonstrate a course, then you go to your fancy workstation to replicate the food on your own (with their guidance, of course). It's awesome. And you don't have to fuss with measuring things out - they do all of that for you! All you do is focus on the skill. And it can appeal to all foodie levels ... for example in January 2011's class I gutted a fish. In November 2011's brunch class I made a 'sabayon'. In December 2011's class I made a stuffed pork tenderloin. Yum.

Once you prepare your first course, you enjoy it with the other participants in a beautiful room with high ceilings, brick walls flanked on one side by beautiful windows. There are chandeliers, there is wine. The dining part can be as social or introverted as you like. I've gone alone twice. Both times I met some really nice people. The best part? While you're eating your first course, they're literally clearing your workstation and preparing the items for your second course. You watch the chef, cook on your own, eat it. Repeat for dessert.

It's not cheap but IMHO it's worth every penny ... for the educational aspect, for the hands-on aspect, for the delicate and more complicated food preparation aspect, for the quality and novelty of the items on the menu .... I even arranged to take my whole office here for our Christmas party! We booked the place out for a private cooking class - an awesome team building event too! (Keep in mind the wine is limited to 2 glasses per participant so if you're looking to indulge, wait until afterwards - we went to the Shebeen Whiskey House).

My last comment is about their deli. Their lunch items are amazing and I love their Tuna Sandwich. I no longer work downtown and the DA is one of the 2 places I talk about and miss the most. If you're tooling around Yaletown or Gastown or Chinatown, take the time to have lunch here. I'm working from home today and have just convinced myself to do that very exact thing!! :) :)

• Visited December 2011
San Francisco, California
“Freakin' Great!”
Reviewed July 24, 2012

Quite possibly the best chicken sandwich I have ever eaten. Fresh sides and friendly service. I loved this place.

• Visited July 2012
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
“Nice deli and culinary school Mecca”
Reviewed July 15, 2012

Great sandwiches and sides and prepared foods along with baked goods, gourmet food selections and more. Don't forget to check out the culinary classes.

Visited February 2012
Vancouver, Canada
“A treat in Yaletown!”
Reviewed July 1, 2012

We have eaten here a few times and each time we have been impressed. The food is outstanding, and the sandwiches are amazing. I have had the Chicken Mayo with anchovies twice and it is a great combo. The setting, the food and the overall feel is great here, you will love it!

• Visited May 2012