“Makes no sense at all”

Auberge Vancouver Hotel
Ranked #42 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
Reviewed February 15, 2014

Overpriced... And here is a list of questions that haunt me.

1. Why is there no sign identifying the hotel? Seriously, in the entire building.

2. Why was I not given pool passes when I checked in? I went to the pool and was informed I had to go to the lobby to get a yellow piece of paper to hand to the pool guy.

3. Why do we have An ice bucket in our room but no ice machine?

4. This is a statement... Your garage is a joke. Get it together.

All in all it has potential. Clean and nice enough but everything seems to have silly paperwork... I don't understand how anyone could be this bad at running a business.

I don't think I captured what a truly ridiculous place this is... But without a stay here its impossible to understand. Skip it and stay at a holiday inn.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Mike M

Reviewed January 12, 2014

When traveling to Vancouver for extended stays I usually try to stay at the TCC. The location is central in downtown Vancouver (one block away from the waterfront, in the financial district, and a couple blocks away from shopping, etc.) and extremely reasonable in price for the location.

My most recent stay however was a tad disappointing. My previous review I had raved about how excellent housekeeping was, but it has since declined dramatically. The bathroom had the standard toiletries (shampoo, conditioner, lotion, shower cap) but only one small bar of soap (and no shower gel) that never got restocked or refilled during the week+ spent there. After a couple days, I just purchased my own shower gel, since we needed the flimsy bar of soap for washing our hands in the sink. The hair dryer didn't work, the lock on the bathroom door didn't work, and besides making the bed, trash disposal and restocking the towels, it seemed nothing else in our suite was cleaned.

Otherwise I have no other issues, it was a quiet building, felt like an apartment more than a hotel, room service was satisfactory, wi-fi is fast and complimentary, I didn't have time to use the facilities.

FYI: to the night owls, the building is a hotel/ residential/ members club hybrid - so for security, the main entrance doors are locked after 11pm and require hotel guests to ring a doorbell for entry.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank grumpykins
Reviewed December 26, 2013

I considered not sharing my experience since it seems in such stark contrast to so many satisfied customers, but since the whole idea of TA is to help others make an informed decision based on several people's first hand experiences, here is mine:

My company was having our annual Christmas party once again at TCC, so I decided to book a room on the special group rate. My phone call was answered by a gentleman who informed me that I would have to book it with "name shall remain anonymous" (not into dissing individuals on TA) in group reservations and he transferred my call. GR lady answered my call and confirmed Xmas party rate with me etc., then asked me to hold for a moment - o-k, then phone rang back to original guy who asked if he could help me (??) I explained that I had been holding for GR lady, he replied "oh, she's left for the day", I interjected "no, I was just speaking to her and she put me on hold", he replied "no, she transferred you to me because she left and I see her heading for the door", I was dumbfounded to say the least, and finally when I got over the shock and could speak, asked if he would then take my reservation, and he replied "no, only GR lady can take it". WOW never ever been treated so unwanted by any hotel in my entire life - and I travel a fair bit.

Needless to say - I really didn't want to stay after that, but after a couple of weeks of fuming, I finally sucked it up and called back since I didn't want to be standing outside at midnight waiting for a taxi after our Christmas party.

This time, again a man answered the phone - but for some reason he was now able to take my reservation without transferring me to GR lady or putting me on hold. Thank goodness!!!

Check-in is a bit of a hike from the main door and up a few stairs, though they do have a ramp to the side. The woman at the reception was efficient enough, but just wasn't very engaged. I worked at the reception in hotels for many years so I don't expect employees to want to bond with me or be my instant BF, but if the hospitality industry is your chosen profession - you could at least put on a smile and "pretend" that you are happy to see me!! Instead of giving off the impression that you have something much more important to do as soon as you can give me my key and send me off.

The room was nice enough and on the quieter side at the back, it included a safe, fridge, microwave, keurig etc. The shower was confusing, I actually had to get out and go get my glasses to read the directions that you pull the ring on the faucet for the water to come out of the shower head. I never would have figured that one out.

As I was getting ready, a notice was slipped under my door informing me that as of Jan.1/14 the hotel would no longer be managed by TCC, it would be called Auberge and guests would not have any access to the clubs private facilities, i.e. the pool, fitness club etc. unless they became members.

Wow, another cold shoulder-they were starting to give me a complex. How unwanted can you make some one feel?

Then off to my party and yes the banquet room as usual was very nice and the food was excellent. The staff efficient, but again - you couldn't call them friendly, more like very serious and frankly a bit robotic.

On other occasions at TCC, i.e. prior Christmas parties, meetings or lunch when I have passed by "members" of the club, it is true - they look at you (particularly women) like you are an intruder. Perhaps it is better that the hotel be off on its own and be run by "hospitality people" instead of private club staff who judging by my experience - tend to be very stiff and just as pretentious as their men's club members.

In summary - the room was fine, but the unwelcoming attitude really blew me away.BTW I go out of my way to be a pleasant customer because I had my share of rude and problem guests when I was on the other side of the counter several years ago and I still remember how stressful it can be. Next year I will stand outside and wait for a cab to take me to the Pan Pacific or Four Seasons where I have stayed previous years because they actually treat me like they are happy that I'm staying with them!!!

Room Tip: Rooms at the front on Hastings Street have traffic noise, rooms at the back are much quieter.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank Vansportsfan
Reviewed December 20, 2013

The Terminal Club is my first choice when our Association meets in Vancouver, and this time was no disappointment. Stayed on Dec 9th. Rooms are always clean, comfy and of course the have a Kuerig which is perfect for morning coffee.

The location is great, underground parking it very tight and the fellows who man it are great. The check in is always terrific.

Check out the pub for a late night snack,yummy British pub food.
I've rated breakfast a 5 it is catered and always terrific.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed December 9, 2013

It was all better than we even expected! The room service was out of this world! Complimentary bottled water and chocolates in the afternoon was awesome! Location is great, we didn't rent a car and walked all over downtown, there was everything we needed! Starbucks across the street! Suite was amazing for a family with 2 children and a baby!

• Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank Smashinszakacs
TCCLUB, Director of Sales at Auberge Vancouver Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 10, 2013

Dear Smashinszakacs,

This is a wonderful review - thank you.

We strive to ensure our guests stay is comfortable and one way has been to include bottled water and Purdy's chocolates as a room drop every evening. We are glad to hear you enjoyed this.

You are so right - our location is perfect for downtown Vancouver. Whether you are here for business or pleasure, our location is very convenient.

Overall, it sounds like you had a great visit to Vancouver and with your stay at The Hotel at Terminal City Club, which is perfect to hear.

Reviewed December 3, 2013

Great downtown location particularly if you are flying to Vancouver. Transportation to and from the International airport is quick, easy and cheap by using the Canada (rail) Line. The hotel is only a little over a block away from the end of the rail line. First class hotel, well worth the cost. All the staff we encountered were pleasant and competent.

Room Tip: We had a 'city-view' room but still had a decent view of the ocean.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
TCCLUB, Director of Sales at Auberge Vancouver Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 5, 2013

Dear pc52,

Thank you for posting comments on your stay with us. We are always pleased to see reviews.

It is a bonus with the city view rooms that most have a corridor view through to the harbour and mountain range. The views whether city and/or ocean are wonderful.

I'm glad to hear you came in on the Canada Line as it is only $8 to take the train from the airport to Waterfront Station. You then walk two blocks to the hotel.

Thank you again and we do hope to see you in the near future, whether for business or pleasure.

Reviewed November 26, 2013 via mobile

The night i arrived there was a huge Halloween party, and i was afraid not to sleep brcause of the noise (i was exhausted after a long trip from Osaka). The guy at the reception was very kind and reassured me, and he put me in a room on the highest floor. Room was actually a suite, very spacious with a big living room and a kitchen.
Overall everything was good, although furniture was pretty old, gym too...

• Stayed: October 2013

Dear Rosalita_65,

You did come into the hotel on a huge event night for Terminal City Club. The Halloween party in the club had 700 people in attendance. It was an amazing evening with the attendees in full costume and the club was decorated to create the perfect, eerie glow!

With the hotel separated from the club, as well as having residence floors, I know you would have found it very quiet. As you travelled a long distance from Osaka, I know you must have been very tired.

Wishing you safe journeys.