“Best restaurant in town!!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Black + Blue

Black + Blue
Reserve with OpenTable
Black + Blue is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #53 of 3,678 Restaurants in Vancouver
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse, Canadian
Good for: Bar scene, Romantic, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Brunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: Burrard
Description: The magic of a classic steakhouse, but with a decidedly contemporary twist. In-house aged rare cuts of beef, tableside Caesar salads, flambes, flaming coffees, and more. While he may find it familiar, it's definitely not your Daddy's steak house!
“Best restaurant in town!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2012 via mobile

As I searched my trip advisor to find a place for supper I stumbled upon black and blue. It wasn't the number one spot but it definitely should be.
As we walked up to the entrance there was a nice warmth coming from the heated patio. The hostess was not only beautiful but full of smiles and very quick to find us a nice table. Our waiter, Phenix was there in no time at all. He filled up our glasses of water. I oredered a Caesar (drink) and my friend ordered a glass of wine. The Caesar was spectacular. The rim was seasoned with a nice spice, there was a piece of pepperette, a blue cheese stuffed olive and a peperoncinni. What a nice combination! We scowered the menu for a few minutes and one of the managers came over to say hi and ask if we had any questions. We briefly chatted and asked about a couple things on the menu. He mentioned they make a table side Caesar (salad) which sounded quite neat especially since I've always wanted to know how to do it. As he left the waiter returned topped off my water and was kind enough to charge my phone (awesome service). We oredered the bacon wrapped scallops, Caesar salad and tuna screamer. I watched attentively as the Caesar was made, the scallops were very good and the tuna screamer was great with a nice kick. For the main course we oredered a New York strip medium rare slightly chared and it was done to perfection. On the side we had a tomato salad. By that point we were stuffed!! Overall it was the best restaurant I've visited in BC and one of my overall favorites.
If I lived here I would have my birthday party tere very year. The restaurant is huge, nice big private rooms, very nice decor, big bar, great staff and fun music! This restaurant should be number one!!!

1 Thank cjddmm
Tara A, Guest Relations Manager at Black + Blue, responded to this review, October 12, 2012
Wow - thank you so much for your review! Phenix is great and I will be sure to pass on your kind words. Maybe this year you should have your birthday in BC:) We look forward to serving you again on your next visit to Vancouver!

“Better for drinks”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2012 via mobile

Food was good but not great. Service was friendly and better than usual. Energetic atmosphere and a good place to meet for drinks (unless you like good beer. You won't find any decent beer here). A bit expensive for what you get but it's right downtown.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
Tara A, Guest Relations Manager at Black + Blue, responded to this review, October 5, 2012
Glad to hear you had nice time! We look forward to serving you again soon.
Mobile, Alabama, United States
“Black and Blue, the best of Vancouver”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2012

By far the best place we ate in Vancouver and by far the most reasonable. The service was prompt, the atmosphere inviting and the food was outstanding. We discovered Black and Blue on our last day in Vancouver, I wish it had been our first as we would have ate nowhere else.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
Tara A, Guest Relations Manager at Black + Blue, responded to this review, October 2, 2012
Thanks for taking the time to write a review! We would love to have you join us on your next visit to Vancouver! Cheers
Van BC
“Pricey near perfect filet mignon”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2012

I have wanted to try this restaurant for a while. We made reservations (which I recommend) for Friday @ 7 pm, arrived on time and were promptly seated upstairs at a table for 2 along a glass railing which looks over the bar and tables below. Nice lighting although down stairs seating looked dark, You can see the glass-faced meat cooler behind the bar with meat on display. Tables are tight. When another table for 2 sat behind us our chairs were rubbing and both parties (us and them) are average/slim size. We started with cocktails which our waiter encouraged. I loved the Black & Blue Martini (highly recommend). My husband had a bourbon cocktail (sorry, I can't remember the name - it was very boozey). They have a rolling bar cart upstairs to ensure your cocktail needs are met (smart promo on their part). We had a bottle of sparkling water and we ordered a bottle of red wine (be warned the Glowbal group, of which this restaurant is one of 7 in Vancouver, have a big mark up on their wine. We ordered a Malbec which was fine). We both ordered the PEI blue ribbon beef tenderloin (8 oz @ $39. I wish they had a 6oz on their menu). The server, who was quite good did advise that a larger serving such as the special could be shared and served family style. I appreciated his advice but my husband & I prefer different levels of doneness). The server also suggested that the sides are large enough to share (I agree). The steak menu is a la carte - your tenderloin comes with 3 sauces (Chimichurri | Peppercorn | Steak Sauce) which are brought to the table in a serving dish. We ordered mushrooms and my husband wanted to try the Mac & Cheese as sides. Given the size of the beef we did not order appetizers. The tenderloin was perfectly done as I had requested. My only quibble was that it was a bit oily as were the mushrooms. My husband said his tenderloin was a perfect medium rare. We did not recognize the Mac & Cheese. Both my husband & I had thought it was a dish for another table until the server said "and this is your Mac & Cheese". My husband said it looked like fish sticks from the frozen food aisle at the grocer. Deep fried mac & cheese is not very good (I had a small bite, that was enough for me and I would not recommend it and nor would my husband).The serving plates were very large (larger than necessary), especially at a table for 2. I was stuffed not being able to finish my tenderloin so no dessert for me or my husband. Service was fine. I'm not a huge fan of the 80's music that was playing. Would I go back - Glad we tried the steaks. Yeah, I'd go back for the Black & Blue Martini and try an appie at the bar.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
Thanks for your review! Glad to hear you and your husband enjoyed your time at Black+Blue! We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
London, United Kingdom
“Appalling service and overcooked steak”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2012

I chose this restaurant to celebrate my 30th birthday with 6 other family members who had flown into Vancouver especially.  I researched long and hard and believed it was the perfect choice for a contemporary setting and a high quality menu.  The night ended with tears following a series of disappointments by this establishment.  Firstly we were sat in a dark corridor-like table on the upper floor, most of the tables on this level are booths that can probably only sit about 5 and have actual lights above them, so the place doesnt seem very suitable to host larger groups.  On our table we had to use the lights on our phones to read the menu.  Our waiter was very friendly but slow and ineffective when things went wrong.  We started with cocktails, they took about 15 minutes to arrive, when they did the manhattan was evil, but the wine was good.

The real issue was the food - when it eventually arrived!  After over an hour from ordering we had to ask our waiter twice where the food was, the second time he disappeared and returned with food which was generally only lukewarm.  The expensive steaks ordered medium were over-cooked and tough.

When we got the attention of the waiter once all the food arrived to complain he just agreed with us and said that the kitchen was aware!  We asked to speak to the manager who was the greatest joke of the evening, he was absolutely incompetent and completely unable to take decisive steps to rectify anything - he actually asked if we wanted to go to another restaurant!  It was late and we just wanted to get out of there, my birthday evening was completely ruined.  This place has all the potential to be really nice, it's smart and the menu was good, but for the price you expect a certain level of service and well-cooked food which was severely lacking from our experience.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank KatCon1
Tara A, Guest Relations Manager at Black + Blue, responded to this review, September 28, 2012
Hi there,

I'm very sorry to hear of your recent experience at Black+Blue. I would like to speak with you directly regarding the details of your evening so that I can follow up with the management and kitchen teams at the restaurant. Can you please send your contact info to marketing@glowbalgroup.com?

Many thanks,