“Cellar temperature??”

Luke's Corner Bar and Kitchen
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: South Granville
Description: Luke's is South Granville one of a kind. A casual and friendly neighbourhood restaurant and corner bar in the swanky South Granville shopping and fashion area featuring fresh, local and natural food and beverages served with upscale touches. We specialize in seasonal offerings with fresh fish a favourite. Our famous burgers are made from premium B.C. grass fed beef. We have a fantastic selection of local draft beer and premium B.C. wines. We are open lunch, dinner and late night and for weekend and holiday brunch. At Luke's "You're Welcome Here"
Maple Ridge, Canada
“Cellar temperature??”
Reviewed February 24, 2013 via mobile

Went in for a glass of wine and appy. The service was excellent. No wait and nice atmosphere. The waitress was knowledgable of the menu. The wine was v good but far too warm. Tasted like it was stored in the kitchen..... Had the deep fried squid. Not chewy but tasteless. Not a good experience

Roberts Creek, Canada
“Best Corner in Town”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

All my adult life I have felt most comfortable when I have, in the British sense, a local. To me, a local is a place which offers a friendly atmosphere, a range of good beers, and good food. Luke's Corner Bar and Kitchen was established to meet all those requirements, and then some.

Owner Mark Roberts, who previously ran a restaurant of very different concept at the same location, set out to create what he'd long wanted - an upscale but affordable restaurant and bar geared to the needs of people living nearby in trendy South Granville while attracting passersby and becoming a "destination" spot. He has succeeded. I live in Roberts Creek, BC, which by public transit is about four hours travel from the Corner, and I have become a regular. When I'm in town, I stay a block away. I have made many new friends at Luke's, and staff treat me as they do any of the many regulars - with friendly, crackerjack service and good conversation. Non-regulars, if they seem interested, are introduced to the habitues and often become regulars themslves.

The food. Luke's kitchen is open-plan, fun to watch, and capable of producing spectacular dishes - the lamb shank currently on offer, for instance, with its peppercorn porter jus, white cheddar mashed potatoes and broccolini, is magnificent. Preceded by a mouth watering sweet-chili chicken starter (to become a regular menu item) and follwed by a warm apple & raspberry bread pudding, this braised lamb entree formed the centrepiece of Luke's participation in the Vancouver Dine Out Festival, which carries on for another ten days or so. At Festival pricing, this was a $28 meal. Yes, $28Cdn. On the same special menu, Jackson-Triggs Sauvignon Blanc is available for $7 a glass / $28 a bottle, and the vintner's Merlot for $11/$30. My companion and I, however, preferred our Blue Buck amber ale from the Phillips tap.

I'm lising this review as a "solo" visit to Luke's, because that is most often how I go. On the occasion of the recent shank of lamb, however, I was accompanied by the Englsh friend whose apartment I am lucky enough to use as my pied a terre in Vancouver. As similar clarification, the outdoor seating at Luke's is enclosed during cooler weather. There is no smoking anywhere. The washrooms are capacious, attractive, and spotless. Food purchase is not required to have a drink, and the selection of drinkables is generous. Craft beers are featured, and most of them rotate. But there's Bud on tap, and lots of other brews in the coolers.

Treat your host and servers as stylish friends and they'll return in kind.

• Visited January 2013
Roberts Creek, Canada
“Convenient location, average food, terrible service”
Reviewed December 12, 2012

Had lunch here today, during shopping. The place was busy, but not full. Took about 10 minutes before we could place our order, then, because we were now watching the clock so our parking meter would not run out, we noted that it took an additional 30 minutes before our food arrived. Looking around, it appeared everyone on site was in the same boat. No apology or warning was offered as to why the service was so terribly slow. Won't be going back. Not worth it.

• Visited December 2012
White Rock, British Columbia, Canada
“Pleasant surprise after reading poor reviews.”
Reviewed September 16, 2012 via mobile

Had arranged to meet at Luke's before reading a lot of poor reviews so didn't expect much. Service was very friendly and prompt. Two of the three dishes were excellent and the third was good and as advertised. Hard to beat an outdoor table on a sunny evening in Vancouver. Server was cute and top notch.

Vancouver, Canada
“Bursting with good energy and food!”
Reviewed August 26, 2012

This is a superb neighbourhood lunch or dinner place on the south side of Vancouver. Good menu, excellent service but quite noisy. Also has an outdoor patio. Worth a visit.

• Visited August 2012