“Fine Dining Choice”

Ranked #755 of 3,868 Restaurants in Vancouver
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: South Main
Description: Welcome to The French TableFormer Master Executive Chef Herve Martin is proud to present his newest eating establishment, The French Table. Nestled cosily in the Riley Park area on Main St & 23rd Ave, it’s a far away from the former Hermitage restaurant, which was a downtown staple on Robson Street for 24 years until last year. After the developer announced new plans, Herve patiently and rightfully re-located to an area that’s ripe for a surburban French cuisine in this up and coming, bustling area. The French Table still carries the tradition of its former self, especially with the outstanding first class servers, whom he successfully carried over but also has a modern flair. Clean lines, open room, first comes into mind when first stepping inside. Unlike the traditional white table cloths, Herve cleverly designed its logo under the glass tables bearing The French table signature, a very nice touch. Tables line the walls for best view of everything. You can select from a menu created by Master Chef Herve Martin and served in the traditional French style. The critically acclaimed wine list boasts one of the best selections of Burgundy wines in Vancouver and is highlighted with exclusive wines from the family winery in Chamilly, France.
Reviewed July 13, 2014

Made a reservation for 7 pm, seated promptly and the evening was a success with excellent friendly service, and rich flavoured food. The soup of the day was cold green pea (fresh, in season) and it was delicious. The sweetbreads were also tasty and the French Table does it in their own fashion. The onion soup was a tad under salted and could have been a bit warmer but overall enjoyable. All the appies were decent sized. The mains, calfs liver was not the best tried but eddible. The Coq Au Vin was a good size with tender chicken in a richly flavoured sauce and was a winner! For dessert we all had the seasonally fresh blueberry and raspberry tart with whipped cream - lovely.
A nice neighbourhood dining spot we will return to.

Reviewed June 29, 2014

This was a little restaurant we stumbled on by chance. The food was beautiful, the staff were so helpful and well informed. Gluten free meals were available, but not actually on the menu and slightly limited. I had buckwheat crepes stuffed with shrimps and Brie and they were so moist and delicate. The coffee was superb, the best I have had since I left New Zealand a month ago. The outside area was roadside and not the best of views, but good to be outside. Prices were not exorbitant. The creme caramel was beautiful.

1  Thank TripMember051220151
Reviewed June 19, 2014

A good meal is like a good conversation. A good meal combined with a good conversation provides the ingredients for a memorable occasion. we dropped into The French Table ( please excuse Vancouver's provincialism; 'La Table Francaise' would be so much more appropriate, alas.) and had an wonderful conversation with the owner about wines of his home town. We followed their suggestions for everything we ate and drank and were pleasantly surprised. The ambiance invited conversation and we left replete. We felt 'en famille' and would return.

Reviewed June 7, 2014

I am actually going to copy a letter I wrote to "Herve Martin" of the French Table management and I believe this will be comment enough for this wonderful place.

Dear Herve,

We have just moved to Vancouver and we love wonderful food so, after asking around, we visited the French Table last night because of its rave reviews.

What a delightful experience!!!!

We ordered the specials, mine being quail and my husband's being cod with seafood. The food was amazing!!!! My only difficulty was choosing what to order because everything sounded gorgeous.

But the main reason I am writing to you today is to compliment you on your amazing staff. Phillip and Gilles, (please ask them to forgive me if I have spelt their names incorrectly.)

While they were prompt and professional, they were so personal too. Because of their sweet, humorous and relaxing demeanour, we felt that we were in their home rather then your restaurant.

I have never kissed staff after a meal out, but I did to both of them because it felt like we were "family".

We are so looking forward to visiting again soon.

I do not usually ask for contact information so that I can write to the owner of a restaurant, but in this case I thought I must.

Kindest of regards to you Herve.

Reviewed May 23, 2014

Dropped in at 5;30 and not busy. Beautiful day so sat at the tiny table on the sidewalk. Almost like Paris but since the street is wider than most in Paris it was much noisier. Inside would have been better and the table more spacious.
Husband ordered the Coq au Vin which he said was good but very sparse on the vegies. I had the mussels and frites. Small portion of mussels and the frites were overdone. Asked if they were home made and assured there was a huge long process to get them done but no apology for over frying them. When they are dry on the inside they are overdone. Broth was okay but not one I have ever had in France. Would have preferred a choice of broth. Not difficult. Also no water so finally had to ask for the water. Pleasant place, good service but a little more attention to the food. Not overly expensive but when small things are not perfect we are not eager to come back and spend more money. If this is going to be your first try go for lunch then you can see if the meal prices are worth it.