“Terrible service, but good food for the money from the regular menu”

Kyo Korean BBQ & Sushi House
Ranked #2,284 of 3,871 Restaurants in Vancouver
Cuisines: Sushi
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: South Granville
Reviewed February 17, 2013 via mobile

Yes, this place does not always fare well when it comes to customer service. However the food usually comes out fast, is fresh, and done well.

I have been here with a group of 15, were all seated together, and had a relatively flawless all you can eat experience! Quality is less in the AYCE menu, but still decent.

Reviewed January 4, 2013 via mobile

We enjoyed going to this restaurant when it was Shabusen. The cuisine is similar if not identical. The decor has been changed slightly. Someone missed part of our order which meant the kid food came after the adults, which is not great with small children. There are cheaper sushi/all you can eat on vancouver but Kyo is comfortable and convenient and we will be back on our next trip through.

Reviewed December 27, 2012

I will NEVER go to this restaurant again! I went there with 10+ people and we received horrible service. Here is why:

6 reasons why not to go to Kyo Korean BBQ & Sushi House

1. Bad organization – I went in with 10+ people and we were told that a room will be ready for us in 30min. After 30min, the manager told us he made a mistake and it should be 1hr and 30min. We were given two choices: Sit in two separate tables or wait for another hour.

2. Bad Service – We were not given tea at the start. We did not receive tea pot until we requested. Throughout the dinner, the waitress saw us waving (made eye contact with me) and ignored us many times. They ignored me even when I spoke in a loud voice “Excuse me”.

3. Charged Extra – They placed 15% tip on the bill because they count us to be in a group of 8+ people when we were forced to sit on two separate tables.

4. Force Tips – They place tip onto the bill to force me to tip. The service was bad and I was still forced to pay full tip. Their reason was “well, we gave you service and this is the minimum charge”

5. Does not value customers’ time – I requested to speak to the manager regarding billing issue and he kept us waiting for at least 20min before talking to us. Even after that, another staff came to discuss the billing issue so we repeated the story to three different people.

6. Manager lied to customers – We were told by the manager that it is their store policy to include tip onto the bills regardless of the amount of people in the group. HOWEVER, another staff told us that groups with less than 8 people don’t get tip included in their bills. Either way, they still charged us full tip even when I told them I am not satisfy with their service.

This is the WORST experience I had at any restaurant. Even fast food restaurants offer better service than Kyo!

2  Thank stevie T
Reviewed December 27, 2012

This sums up my last two dinner experiences at this restaurant.

I'm just going to be generous for a moment here and start off with what wasn't horrible. Most of the food was acceptable, although if you're looking for korean BBQ this shouldn't be an option since the quality of their meat is rather poor. It was overseasoned/overmarinated and a bit too sweet for my tastes. I don't even know why they call their cones cones since they were more like cylinders rather than cones.

Don't even get me started on their service. This is where it gets ugly. Now, experiences may vary from group to group, but if you're willing to take the chance then their lack of consistency may get to you. Both times I went to eat, I was ignored by the waitress countless times, even after we had made eye contact. Both times, we were not given tea at the start and had to ask for it after sitting down for at least 10 minutes. But it gets worse. We were charged as a group of 8+ people (meaning mandatory 15% gratuity) even though our group was split into two tables (unable to talk to each other, mind you). When we asked for an explanation, the manager simply said that it was policy everyone to pay at least 10% gratuity, so we were charged that much, thinking that was the normal amount that anyone had to pay. It turns out we were lied to, as gratuity was not mandatory, ONLY for groups of 8+ people, but we were charged nonetheless even though we ended up having TWO separate groups of less than 6 people each. Frankly, I'm a bit disgusted by this behaviour as my own experience is not the first that I've heard of.

Never eating here again, and honestly, neither should you. Save your money.

1  Thank Mike232
Reviewed December 27, 2012 via mobile

Wasn't even able to be seated. Walked in and was completely ignored for over 15 minutes. Asked if we had reservations and we replied no. Then they continued to ignore us. There were tables available and plenty of staff. The host just ignored us completed. Worst service ever. Even the wait staff were oblivious and pushed passed us to talk to the host. Yup WORST SERVICE EVER. DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME OR MONEY