“Very disappointing. Outdated menu on website”
Review of Kerkis Greek Taverna - CLOSED

Cuisines: Greek
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Kitsilano
Reviewed July 30, 2012

It was okay but there are far better Greek restaurants in the lower mainland. We arrived for dinner about 5:30. They had patio seating as well as seating indoors. We opted to sit inside. The ambiance and décor is typical of most Greek restaurants – hanging plants, wooden tables and chairs etc.

My husband had a couple of glasses of wine with dinner and I had sangria. The sangria was on special for $4.50 a glass. It was well made and good value. We started off with an appetizer of saganaki. I’m not sure what kind of cheese was used but it did not have much flavor. The cheese did not melt as nicely as it does on most saganakis that I’ve had. Dinner was accompanied by whole wheat pita bread that was brought to our table nice and hot and Greek salad. I don’t think that the cheese used on the Greek salad was feta, it looked and tasted more like parmesan to me – very strange. The salad was definitely lacking in flavour, not very interesting. For entrees my husband had arni psito (roast lamb). It was okay but again not one of the better ones that I’ve had. I had the garlic prawns in butter sauce – 5 prawns for $18.99 (more like an appetizer portion). It was accompanied by a potato that had too strong a lemon taste to it, a massive amount of rice that looked stale and overcooked carrots. Be warned the menu they show on their website is outdated. The prices on the menu last night were about 11% higher than the menu on their website. I think that they are way overpriced for the quality of the food served. We had an entertainment coupon but without the coupon it is just not good value for the money. With the coupon it’s probably what you would pay at other Greek restaurants for the quantity and quality that we had. We would not return because the value for the money is just not there.

Service was decent.

Reviewed July 10, 2012

I have dined at 30 plus Greek restaurants in the lower mainland from Chilliwack to Vancouver and i would put this establishment in the top three. Excellent Greek salad - very fresh ingredients with not to many green peppers, rice was fluffy and spiced just right, the lamb shank just melted in your mouth. Sangria's were tasty with fresh fruit and reasonably priced. We sat outside and enjoyed the comings and goings of the locals while enjoying the music from the restaurant.

1  Thank RaymondBurtH
Reviewed March 21, 2012

kerkis is one of my favorite greek restaurants in town. The food is always good and the prices are reasonable. They recently had a 3 course meal promotion for $18 and it was great. The atmosphere is great and lately on weekends there is live music.
All that I could say is that I have never been dissapointed with the food a Kerkis.

1  Thank Litzza
Reviewed February 27, 2012

Kerkis has been around a long time in Kits. Their food is authentic and well priced. Great for take out also. Lamb dishes a specialty, moussaka is excellent as is chicken souvlaki.

Reviewed December 28, 2011

We found the food, service and atmosphere to be excellent..