“the real thing!”

Neighborhood: Chinatown
east anglia
“the real thing!”
Reviewed September 7, 2012

Found Kents Kitchen after walking through Chinatown - it was lunchtime and the queues were out the door - mainly local people - there were only about 5 europeans but if you want authentic chinese food that the locals eat this is the place. Huge portions and special lunchtime deals ie rice or noodles with a choice of two toppings for $4.50 - we had rice with honey chicken and sweet and sour pork - we found one meal was enough for the two of us. Took about 5 mins to serve us. Very helpful staff - we didnt know what to choose and they went through the food with us. Eat in or take out. Its a bit like a 1970's cafe but the food was amazing - will definitely go back

• Visited September 2012

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Edmonton, Canada
“Loads of food for cheap!”
Reviewed July 3, 2012

Went to Kent's Kitchen while touring thru China Town in Vancouver on our cross Canada road trip. There are LOT of options in this restaurant. Very much like a buffet system, only you order the number of items.

Generally most people get the rice and/or noodles with some meat options.
Lots of pork, so non pork eaters beware.
There are a lot of chicken and veggie options as well. The taste is good, a little bland tho, but good enough to fill you up completely, for a very good price.

I remember paying 10$ or so for rice + noodles, 2 meats and a vegetable. I thought I would burst open after eating this.

BEWARE of parking, pay for parking and park your car right in front of your eyes. Our car got broken into in this place. We had to drive to Edmonton without a window (taping cardboard) to get the glass replaced. They took tons of stuff from the car. So just be careful!

• Visited August 2011
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Large portions for the price!”
Reviewed January 4, 2012

I just picked up Kent's for dinner yesterday and for a rice and 2 toppings, it's lasted me for yesterday's dinner, today's lunch, and tonight's dinner! All for the price of $7!

I had fried rice with eggplant/tofu and deep fried spicy fish. The eggplant dish was really good. The fish was ok. Kind of bland and too much corn starch.

Nonetheless, I'd go back just because one portion lasts me a few meals!

Visited January 2012
Toronto, Canada
“Chinese people eat there all the time”
Reviewed November 20, 2011

My brother took me there the first time, and I have been there few more times.

Let me tell you about this place. The restaurant is in heart of Chinatown. Like the other person said, the decor is very basic. But let me tell you about the food.

It is a L shape counter. When you walk in, the food close to you is more colourful and more for North Americans or non-asian people ( not so spicy and less exotic) The farther you go down the L shape, the food is less colourful but is also very good and I noticed older Chinese people eat more from that side. The service is good, few people speak English. The ladies maybe do not smile as much but they are nice. The place reminds me more of a place for locals and workers, but in a good way :)

I have also notice that a lot of Chinese people eat there which is always a good sign for a restaurant. The portions are huge- you can share it for sure, you also get a soup ( very light broth) and green tea for free. The lunch will cost you around $7

The place is clean but basic. It is always busy at lunch time, but the line moves quickly so you don't have to wait long. So if you want to try something new, cheap and eat with chopstick this is the place.

• Visited October 2011
Bruce Mines, Canada
“Delicious Food at a Great Price”
Reviewed November 5, 2011

This is a very popular restaurant in Vancouver's China Town. If you are looking for atmosphere this is not the restaurant for you. The decor could not be more basic. There is a very long glass display counter along one wall. A bunch of tables and chairs take up the rest of the space. You take a number from the machine when you enter. While waiting for your number to be called have a good look at everything on offer. You can either buy just your favourites or go for the lunch special which seems to be served all day. You can eat in or take out. Because the portions are huge it makes sense to ask for take out, eat what you want at the restaurant and then take the rest home for the next day. We ate there twice while visiting Vancouver and everything we chose was delicious. The food is fresh and well prepared. One lunch special was sufficient for the two of us. Lunch specials include rice or noodles and a choice of two other items. You can help yourself to tea or water. All this for about $7.00 including tax. Enjoy.

• Visited October 2011