“Great disappointment”

Cuisines: Canadian
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Yaletown & False Creek North
Description: We refer to our restaurant as a "nouveau Canadian Bistro"... offering a simple, seasonally inspired menu with fresh, local ingredients at a great value. Our open concept kitchen brings the Chef to your table, delivering a memorable overall dining experience.
Reviewed August 12, 2013

We are staying nearby and saw that this place is highly rated in Trip Adviser. We ate there this evening and really regret our choice to do so. The ambiance is fine, the service is fine, but the food and the wine selection are poor. My wife had tomato salad to start, seemingly a safe choice in the summer when tomatoes are at their best. We had passed stores with gorgeous fresh local tomatoes in the afternoon. But the Flying Pig clearly sourced its produce from some wholesaler who provded utterly flavourless tomatoes. Why bother going on? The meal was uniformly mediocre, and the price/quality ratio is abysmal.

Reviewed August 5, 2013 via mobile

Delicious food; friendly, knowledgable staff; and great ambience. Highly recommended. We ordered an entree as a side and two entrees as a main. No problem. We were able to dicuss local coffee culture, mental health policy and salmon provenance with our waiter. Top stuff.

Reviewed August 4, 2013

Went to the Flying Pig in Yaletown as per the recommendation from my hotel. Kind of disappointed that it wasn't on the other side of the street with the beautiful open terraces. I ordered the Brussels sports and short rib macaroni and cheese as per my servers recommendation. The food arrived instantly, within five minutes which made me think that it was not fresh and probably reheated. The Brussels sprouts were good but dry, the shortrib Mac was nothing to write home about. At least the bill was cheap, nothing special and probably would not recommend if you're looking for great food.

Reviewed August 2, 2013

I get a little rush when I know I am coming back to Vancouver. The water, the mountains and the food do it for me. It is like a city I constructed in a dream. Inception-style. I want shiny buildings, blue everywhere, adorable clothing shops, polite drivers and good food.

On this trip to my dream-city, I arrived about a day and a half before my husband. Because of advancements in technology, I know that he is currently on a plane sitting next to a Vancouverite who is telling him to eat sushi while in the city. Where I totally appreciate recommendations from locals and love sushi, this trip is about meat. I am focused and love a food-themed trip. Meat, meat, meat.

I have been to The Flying Pig before and decided that it was going to do the meat-trick last night. DID IT EVER.

About their name from their website:
The Flying Pig represents our desire for you to see the impossible happen every time you visit us.

Adorable. Speaking of adorable, everyone who works there is cute. Specifically, they look like they belong in Kinfolk or A Well-Traveled Woman. And the atmosphere matches them. It is perfect. Muted neutrals, nice materials. A slight gloss, really clean and natural.

What I ordered:
Three Pea Soup (smoked ham hock, chick, split and sweet peas)
Red Wine Braised Beef Short Ribs (roasted bone marrow, aged white cheddar mash)
Bone Marrow Cheesy Bread (self-explanatory and yummy)

The Three Pea Soup is the kind of soup that produces oh-this-person-really-loves-me feelings. You could be slightly under the weather or it could be a little cold outside and a magic master of the kitchen would make that for you. Because of the love.
The Braised Short Rib has exactly enough sauce and I am a sauce-scrutinizer. Also, a giant hunk of bone marrow with it. Um, delightful.

Did I mention the service? Because IT. IS. GOOD. They serve the wine quickly and often, just the way I like it. At one point, the Manager came over to check on me and, with a mouth full of short rib, I told him I was JUST fine.

By the end, after housing the Bone Marrow Cheesy Bread with everything, I was so, so, so, so full. You know that Louis C.K. bit about eating habits?

"I don't stop eating! The meal isn't over when I'm full. The meal is over when I hate myself. That is when I stop."

That is exactly how I felt. Painful and awesome at the same time. Some women sitting next to me ordered more plates than I did and shared everything, which seemed to be a better strategy overall, but I have no regrets.

Now, listen: they don't take reservations, so come early. You won't regret it. You can eat sushi another night. I am basically an honorary Vancouverite. I know what I am talking about.

1  Thank Erica319
Reviewed July 28, 2013

One of the best restaurant in Vancouver. The service is excellent and so prompt and friendly. Young and vibrant with this amazing idea of serving a combo dish that you can share ,usually a fish side and meat side. We had tasty salmon and topside beef. Best meal in Vancouver by miles. If you like lager, they serve tfp lager.A delight. Do not miss.