“great atmosphere, food OK”

The Flying Pig Yaletown
Ranked #46 of 3,914 Restaurants in Vancouver
Cuisines: Canadian
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Yaletown & False Creek North
Description: We refer to our restaurant as a "nouveau Canadian Bistro"... offering a simple, seasonally inspired menu with fresh, local ingredients at a great value. Our open concept kitchen brings the Chef to your table, delivering a memorable overall dining experience.
Reviewed January 28, 2013

Love the atmosphere here. They've totally nailed the decor, it's comfortable & trendy and doesn't feel pretentious. The menu is appealing and while it's not extensive, there's a great selection of dishes. The food, while a few things were great, for the most part was just ok. Our table of 3 ordered 3 appetizers, 2 mains and a dessert. The artisan board (or charcuterie) was disappointing, tiny little olives, pretty basic meat selection, only 2 little chunks of cheese, and boring crousitni. We didn't feel it was a good value either. The halibut cheeks was a great dinner. The sauce & gnocchi were amazing.
The service was good too.
Overall the entire experience was good, great place to socialize and enjoy a night out with friends, I'd go back for that type of evening. If I wanted to go out for an amazing dinner, I'd try somewhere else next time.

Reviewed January 27, 2013 via mobile

Really enjoyed our experience

Tried to get in on a Saturday but was incredibly busy due to the ice hockey, no reservation policy & every single person in Vancouver was out! Went back early for dinner on Sunday & wasn't disappointed

Ordered the pea & ham soup & salmon taster for entree. Both delicious!

Had halibut & the Arctic char. Both delicious but Artic Char was suburb. Was pretty hungry & also sides of creamed corn & lobster & shrimp risotto. Local draft beers great too. All food & drink was fantastic, no complaints!

Service was great, also no complaints

It was pretty noisy inside but wasn't concerned as I was too busy eating. Atmosphere was good. It's a bit fresh sitting near the front door but no big deal. Bring a jacket & you will be fine

Absolutely recommend coming here. Gobsmacked why this place would get average/poor reviews for food!

1  Thank Bristraveller3870
Reviewed January 27, 2013

If I go back to the Flying Pig I would just order a double order of Brussels sprouts!!! I thought the veal was a massive let down! The pulled pork was OK and saved only by the recommended side of sauce only! Still for those marinated grilled Brussels Sprouts I would return.

Reviewed January 26, 2013

A bustling and vibrant atmosphere full of people enjoying great regional food with an Italian twist, and reasonable wine!
Near all the standard chain restaurants (Earls, Milestones, Cactus Club, Keg,etc) this independent really stands out!
Well worth a visit when in groovy Yaletown!!

2  Thank R K
Reviewed January 23, 2013

My sister-in-law and I had dinner at the Flying Pig in Yaletown on a recommendation from a coworker. It was a good choice. They don't take reservations, and it's a busy place, so we did take the one empty table that was beside the front door. The only downside of the meal was the cold air coming in regularly. The food: not all pork dishes, by any stretch. We did have the pork rack - which is actually one large chop cut from a whole roasted rack. Very tasty! For the two of us, we just ordered one entree and three additional sides so we could taste more things. The pulled pork poutine that came with the pork rack was very good. I really liked the boneless beef rib macaroni and the creamed corn with chili and lime. Very tasty! I wasn't really taken by the lobster and shrimp risotto though - it was flavorful, but it wasn't a very smooth texture. The drinks are served in mason jars, which is interesting...