“A quick light lunch”

Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Granville Island & Fairview
Cross street: 2nd
Description: Located at the Gateway to Granville Island, WHET: kitchen. bar. patio, is Vancouver's newest eating, drinking, and viewing experience. At WHET we focus on using local and organic ingredients in everything we do: Oceanwise seasonal seafoods and Granville island market ingredients like oyama sausage, artesian cheese, island baked breads, and market fresh herbs and spices. We combine a sophisticated seasonal menu with a relaxed atmosphere and panoramic view. Our libations consist of contemporary and modern wine and cocktail offerings which have been created, sourced and refined with a careful mind to stay true to our philosophy of using fresh, vibrant flavours and pairings.We have a wide craft beer selection of both local & international draught and bottled favourites. WHET is open late every night of the week for a glass of wine or cocktail after a show, a late dinner after taking in a famous Granville Island play, or a night out with friends in our cozy and vibrant lounge.
Reviewed December 31, 2012

My wife and I arrived at Whet for a quick lunch, we had 25 minutes.

we were noticed after about 20 seconds and taken to a table to review the menu. A few minutes later we ordered a crab cake and a mussels to share, plates were put in front of us within 2 minutes and the food items arrived about 10 minutes later. We were in a hurry, so this was just what we wanted!
The food was perfect, the mussels and sauce were tasty and moreish and the crab cake was all crab.
When we looked for service to receive our bill all we received was a nod of recognition but no bill. We went to the bar for our bill and payment.
I have highlighted some minor negatives because we were in a rush, but for delicious food, if the two offerings we sampled are a good example, I would say to anyone going to Granville Island to open the door to Whet and walk on in and enjoy the food.

Reviewed December 20, 2012

Wear your smart casual cute top & dark jeans to this "sophisticated rustic" restaurant at Granville Island. The first time I ate here the food was nothing new, but delicious. Second time, food was still good, but took forever to get to table and we had to walk into theatre late!
Typical North American menu, fish piled on puree, beef brisket on potatoes, beets & goat cheese salad all good. Espresso martini needs some work, but they were great with wine offerings for single glass.

Reviewed November 29, 2012

had an alright time eating at whet. service is nice. they never turn on the sound for any of the sporting games, and dont have much of a lounge/bar. food is mediocre but the service does make up for it. i would stick to drinks!

Reviewed October 11, 2012

Happened upon the restaurant as we wandered around Granville Island. It was early evening so we were offered the lunch menu as dinner didn't start until around 6pm. A very helpful waiter talked us through the menu. We shared (on the waiters advice) a special starter which was a crab oriental roll (can't remember the name of the dish). Wonderful and just the right quantity. I had salmon for my main and it was amazing. I don't usually have a starter and dessert but I couldn't resist the chocolate dessert. It was WONDERFUL! I have never tasted such a euphoric chocolate dessert...it certainly released some endorphines for me. A great chef who knows how to combine his flavours. All this accompanied by some fantastic Canadian Chardonnay and followed by cappuccino.
A lovely location and we sat on the patio under the warmth of patio heaters. Will definately make it my first port of call if I am lucky enough to return to Vancouver.

Reviewed September 28, 2012

We had lunch at Whet after spending some time at Granville Island. The food was wonderful and the service was terrific. The restaurant looks out on the marina, but we ate inside because it was quite chilly. Our young waitress helped us customize a couple of entrees and drinks as two of our group had dietary issues (diabetes and portion size). They were quite willing to split a sandwich between two of us, so we could have soup as well. The soup was amazing and the sandwiches huge. I would definitely recommend Whet for any meal whether you are visiting Granville Island or just out for a good meal.