We stayed at the Greenbrier Hotel in the last week of June, two girls per room in two rooms, while visiting Vancouver for a conference. What a GREAT spot (at a GREAT price) for taking in the city. The Ritz Carleton it is not, but it served the needs of four young doctors looking for clean and close to everything. It was just perfect and we had a wonderful time there.
The best parts:
1. The hotel itself: Desk guys have their own quirky, slightly goofy, and helpful charm. Mathew, the manager, is frequently around and available, and VERY nice. Each suite has either one or two double beds, a comfy little living area with a couch and cable TV (and ours in room 106 had the most AMAZING view down to the water and north to the mountains!), and a kitchen with fully functional appliances, cutlery, etc. The bathroom was clean and served the purpose.
2. The neighbourhood: a five minute walk to EVERYTHING from Capers (the organic grocery store) to Stanley Park to Miso (this AWESOME sushi restaurant) to the fine SHOPPING of Robson street. Lululemon, Banana Republic, Esprit, the Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory, M.A.C., and others are within spitting distance. Ten or fifteen minutes on foot in one direction lands you in Yaletown, and in the other direction lands you in that downtown area overlooking the bay.
Things to be aware of:
- The guys at the desk are a hoot, really, but be prepared to be self directed. They have lots of touristy brouchures not a lot of advice about how to find things or get places, eg with public transit. Fortunately, pretty much every second person on the street or in any shop can tell you how to get wherever you want to go. There are detailed tourism brochures everywhere.
- Some of the first floor rooms (I think the odd numbers, eg 103, 105) are on the side of the building against a parking lot and so the windows are barred and a little lacking in view. I'd avoid them if possible.
All in all, the Greenbriar comes HIGHLY recommended. I'll certainly plan a repeat stay the next time I need a spot in Vancouver!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Greenbrier Hotel is located in the middle the famous Robson Street in Vancouver, just steps away from great shopping and dining. All within walking distance to Stanley Park, Convention Centre, Canada Place, English Bay, and most Vancouver attractions. Friendly front desk staff are available 24 hours a day to assist you with every aspect of your trip, from planning tours, dinner reservations and any other arrangements. Most of our suites are furnished with: pillow top mattresses, kitchenette**, living room*, dining table*, sofa bed*, LCD TV with local channels, complimentary high speed WiFi and free local calls. Complimentary coffee/tea is available in the lounge, daily housekeeping and a secured underground parking***. *Subject to room type **Kitchen utensils and crockery available upon request (subject to availability). ***Available at additional cost ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotwire, Priceline, Hotels.com, Cancelon, getaroom.com, TripOnline SA and HRS so you can book your Greenbrier Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Greenbrier Hotel Vancouver