“What's the fuss?”

Ranked #6 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
Seattle, Washington
“What's the fuss?”
Reviewed April 18, 2007

This is supposed to be one of the best 100 hotels in the world?

The bed is hard -- no pillowtops here. The lobby and room furniture are worn and seedy, suggesting that the Opus' days as some sort of living legend are probably behind it. The rooms are nice enough, but I've spent half this much for hotels that were at least as nice. (At these prices, I expect triple sheets and extra pillows and blankets at a minimum.) Nobody warned me about the $25 daily parking charge; and the guy at the desk cheerfully explained how to access the wifi -- without mentioning that I'd have to pay $15/day for it. (I can name a dozen $100/night highway motels that can manage free wireless internet. If there's a traveler's bill of rights, this should be on it.) The hotel's amenities are extremely limited, too.

The location can't be beat if you're doing business in Yaletown. If you're not, there are plenty of better places to stay in Vancouver -- especially if you're willing to spend what this place costs.

Seriously: It doesn't begin to come close to living up to the hype.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — didn't live up to its big reputation at all
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled on business
3 Thank RedAhead

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (452)
Amsterdam, Netherlands
Reviewed April 14, 2007

I believe this hotel used to have some gimmick about matching rooms to fictional character/personality types?? They don't do this any longer, so you get a straightforward boutique-style hotel in Yaletown, downtown Vancouver. I thought the location was great with a
couple of great bars and restaurants nearby (eg Glowbal) and the entire city was easily and enjoyably walkable. The staff here are fine - they are not going to babysit you and will leave you to figure
things out unless you ask them for help directly. They stiff you on parking fees which are unadvertised in advance. Rooms are nice, but reasonably small. Overall, an enjoyable, friendly experience

Stayed April 2007
1 Thank Pincut
Vancouver, BC
Reviewed March 25, 2007

We just spent a night at The Opus following the Eric Clapton concert at GM Place. Having stayed there before, I knew what to expect. The hotel consistently delivers excellent service. Friendly staff at valet parking to check-in make you feel welcome. Our room faced into the courtyard - city noise was non-existent. We awoke to sea gulls chattering the next morning - a reminder our location is close to English Bay. When my husband called the front desk asking for the nearest ice machine, he was told ice would be delivered right away. Within seconds, a staff member brought a bucket of ice and asked if there was anything else we needed. Small touches like cooling the bottled water in the ice bucket while we were at the concert are the things that keep us coming back. You'll love the heated floor in the bathroom - guests control how warm they want it. Breakfast at Elixir was served in a sunroom and although it was grey and rainy outside, we felt very pampered inside. The coffee is so good we drank several cups each. Everything about staying at this hotel is so enjoyable, especially the location in Yaletown. We look forward to our next stay when an event brings us into Vancouver.

• Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
Vancouver
Reviewed March 25, 2007

I had the opportunity to stay at Opus and have to say that every aspect of the stay was devine. It is a totally stylish hotel with every amenity you could wish for, with unique room decor and WOW those bathrooms!!!! Finally, you couldn't ask for a better staff - young, hip and absolutely lovely, they were great. Obviously an exceptional stay in my books, and believe me I have seen it all!

Stayed March 2007
1 Thank Vancouvergirl1
Ottawa
Reviewed March 25, 2007

OPUS Hotel is definately worth another visit, and another, and another. Well located, it is within easy reach of everything I needed, but I felt like I was in a more residential area. Staff were very pleasant, and went out of their way to help me. Meanwhile the restaurant was first rate. I ended up having to spend more time in my room on my computer working than I would have liked, but it was so comfortable I almost didn't mind.

Go and find out yourself - it was wonderful.

Stayed March 2007
Vancouver
Reviewed March 15, 2007

I booked Opus for New Years Eve 2007. I live in Vancouver and decided that for New Years I would just stay in the city to celebrate NYE. My booking was made in November over the phone for an executive suite but for whatever reason Opus would not allow me to just book one night so I had to book 2 nights which cost just under $1200. The nightmare began on the 30th. The check-in time was after 3 PM so I came in around 6 PM and approached the front desk.

The woman handling the reservations desk had a chip on her shoulder before I walked up. She asked me for my Visa card on which I booked my room on. I told her my Visa did not have enough for both nights and I would pay her a cash deposit. I've stayed at other hotels in Vancouver and around the world and almost every hotel will accommodate cash as deposit. Her response was 'NO' and told me if my credit card didn't have enough for both nights she wouldn't give me the room. At this point I told her that I would give her the full amount in cash and even an extra $200, which would be $1400!!! The answer was 'NO' and you would think by booking one of the expensive suites the front desk would have some respect and try to work the problem out but nope, she left me hanging and started helping someone else.

I sat around the hotel in disbelief for 30 mins trying to figure out how I could pay the deposit with my visa. The whole time no hotel staff approached me to try to solve the problem, instead the front desk employees were too busy talking to each other. I finally approached her and asked if she could, for this one time only, let me pay with cash. This time around she made sure other people sitting in the lobby would hear and said 'do you not understand I’m not going to repeat myself...WE DON'T ACCEPT CASH AS DEPOSIT!’ I was shocked. I asked for the manager but the manager wasn't 'in'. I went back and sat down and started calling other hotels in Vancouver to see if I could get a room for NYE but all the other hotels were booked. I couldn't believe the service so after wasting an hour in total I approach another employee and asked her if I could use my debit card and her response 'Yes you can'. I was so pissed off that I told her and the lady that had spoken to me in such a rude way earlier that the service at this hotel was [--] and I wanted the manager's business card. The women were obviously shocked that I said '[--]' but if it wasn't for Nye’s, I would have cancelled the room and went somewhere else.

I finally got a call from the manager a few days later and he tried to blame me and said 'you raised your voice and said [--]'. Of course it's [--] when someone is spending $1200 and your service is worst then a freaking gas station!!!!!!!!! As a resident of Vancouver I will warn all travelers to be careful. The service is 0 out 5, the executive suite was 1 out of 5 with torn bed sheets, no LCD TV's, carpet looks like its 20 years old and the washroom is plain. This by far is the worst hotel in Vancouver and is in no way a 5 star. Save your money and book at the Pan Pacific or Hotel Vancouver.

I don't have any pictures of the rooms but I’ve added the receipt incase people think this is a [--] review.

• Liked — Nothing. Worst hotel in Vancouver and a waste of $1200!
  • Disliked — Everything.
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled as a couple
10 Thank jetsetter604
Menlo Park, California
Reviewed March 12, 2007

Hi,

From the website, the hotel seems like an upscale boutique but it is really not. When we got into the hotel at night, I noticed that they provided earplugs by my bedside. Later at 3AM I realized that I definitely needed them. Although the hotel had rooms facing the courtyard, they placed us in one facing the street. The noise from the street crowd didn't end until 5AM. Plus the neighbourhood was not really that safe either. I wouldn't recommend this hotel to a friend.

Stayed February 2007