2,616 results
All reviewsyaletown locationglass of sparkling wineheated floorsgreat boutiquefalse creekcanada lineyale townturn down servicecar servicerestaurants and barsgranville islandskytrain stationsea wallfront desk staffvisiting vancouvercontinental breakfastvalet parking
Reviewed August 21, 2005

This is a great hotel to stay in, the location is perfect if you want to go the lively bars and restaurants of Yaletown and as far as I know is the only boutique style hotel in Vancouver. I had high expectations having read the conde nast review that it was "one of the top ten places in the world". It was very good but I think that is a slight exaggeration unless of course you are in the very best room.

We stayed 3 nights in a superior room, it was not particularly big (one king bed and just adequate room around it) but was stylish and had the trademark Opus bathroom looking out onto the street. The decor was good but apart from the interesting colours and unusual bathroom it was not actually any more luxurious than many other standard hotel rooms (no Bose sound system or plasma TV or spa bath: they are obviously reserved for only the best rooms).

Read another review about them being stingey with the toiletries but we had plentiful supplies of Occitane products every day. The room service every day was very good, it was always very obvious that they had cleaned and tidied the room extremely thoroughly and there were all the nice touches that you would expect (e.g. overnight shoe shine service, chocolates on the pillow and complimentary bottled water left by the bed each night).

The staff were very helpful with recommendations and ordering cabs. Only minor complaint is that we arrived to drop off bags for 5 minutes before returning our hire car. The valet insisted on taking the car for that short time and then lo and behold 3 nights parking at $25 per night appeared on our bill. They happily took it off but that is steep for parking when the hotel is already pricey.

The bar area was packed when we returned late Saturday night and I suspect some rooms at the front would have been noisy as the music was incredibly loud (we could faintly here it on 6th floor).

Overall though, it is a fantastic hotel with a great atmosphere in the best location. Next time I would probably pay the extra for a better room.

• Stayed: August 2005
1  Thank fifibell
Reviewed August 11, 2005

Oh yeah! Great location in Yaletown close to a bunch of restaurants, a fifteen minute stroll to the financial district, and just around the corner from the harbor and marinas. If the Opus is good enough for Sir Richard Branson (Virgin Airways / Records etc etc) who was staying, it's good enough for me! Nice room with a bathroom with a glass wall between the shower and the bedroom - with louvered shade - viewing by your room mate (if you have one) while you are showering optional! Good service in the restaurant and a nice bar. Definitely a hotel I will return to.

• Stayed: August 2005, traveled on business
1  Thank GoPlaces16289
Reviewed August 10, 2005

Stayed at the Opus Hotel in june for a business trip for two nights. I simply loved the room I was in: colourscheme was great, excellent bed, good Bose Wave soundsystem and a truly exciting bathroom with lovely l'Occitane products! The service was very good: staff was always helpful and hospitable. The restaurant did not really match the architecture, style and decor of the hotel but this was surely intended to be totally different. The neighbourhood (Yaletown) is trendy and has nice restaurants closeby.
All in all a good place to stay and to tell your friends about!

3  Thank Connector9112
Reviewed July 28, 2005

I was lucky to stay at the Opus for 10 days on business. It's a refreshing change from a typical business hotel. Decor and the whole atmosphere is very cool. I felt like i had to be dress up to be there!

I've uploaded some photos of the room i stayed in as well as the view. Yes, the large window is actually in the bathroom. There are glass doors that separate the bathroom from the bedroom and blinds to lower when you need the privacy. People can look into the windows if the blinds are up.

The hotel was very accomodating. At one point I borrowed a bike from a colleague and was allowed to park in the garage overnight. There are CDs you can borrow to listen to in your room. That's a nice touch (though i wish the library was larger). But I don't think in 10 days they bothered to learn my name, though the concierge and bellmen were very friendly and the limo service was for the most part available when we needed it.

Drinks in the lobby were always lovely. I had breakfast in the hotel once and it was good.

The location is wonderful. There are tons of great restaurants and shops within walking distance.

I look forward to staying there again (on the company's dime!)

7  Thank adomatic
Reviewed July 24, 2005

This is one of the best hotels I have ever stayed at within my preferred hotel type of small, boutique hotels. The service is fantastic, with brilliant concierges. We had a superior room, not the most luxurious you can book at the hotel, but fine for us - with a great, funky bathroom overlooking the main street.

Breakfasts are great as was dinner when we ate there. The gym is cool.

There is a great vibe throughout.

The location is really the best you could want in Vancouver, just a very short walk to the newly developed wharf area with its long promenade offering a great walks.

My only gripe was the cost of the internet as others have commented upon. In fact the vast majority of hotels I have stayed in over the last year have ofered free access and I feel they should look at this.

Unless you like staying in big hotel chains such as the Fairmont or Sheraton, then I cannot recommend the Opus highly enough.

• Stayed: July 2005