“Uber-Chic”
Review of Opus Hotel

Opus Hotel
Ranked #6 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
Reviewed July 28, 2005

I was lucky to stay at the Opus for 10 days on business. It's a refreshing change from a typical business hotel. Decor and the whole atmosphere is very cool. I felt like i had to be dress up to be there!

I've uploaded some photos of the room i stayed in as well as the view. Yes, the large window is actually in the bathroom. There are glass doors that separate the bathroom from the bedroom and blinds to lower when you need the privacy. People can look into the windows if the blinds are up.

The hotel was very accomodating. At one point I borrowed a bike from a colleague and was allowed to park in the garage overnight. There are CDs you can borrow to listen to in your room. That's a nice touch (though i wish the library was larger). But I don't think in 10 days they bothered to learn my name, though the concierge and bellmen were very friendly and the limo service was for the most part available when we needed it.

Drinks in the lobby were always lovely. I had breakfast in the hotel once and it was good.

The location is wonderful. There are tons of great restaurants and shops within walking distance.

I look forward to staying there again (on the company's dime!)

7  Thank adomatic

Reviewed July 24, 2005

This is one of the best hotels I have ever stayed at within my preferred hotel type of small, boutique hotels. The service is fantastic, with brilliant concierges. We had a superior room, not the most luxurious you can book at the hotel, but fine for us - with a great, funky bathroom overlooking the main street.

Breakfasts are great as was dinner when we ate there. The gym is cool.

There is a great vibe throughout.

The location is really the best you could want in Vancouver, just a very short walk to the newly developed wharf area with its long promenade offering a great walks.

My only gripe was the cost of the internet as others have commented upon. In fact the vast majority of hotels I have stayed in over the last year have ofered free access and I feel they should look at this.

Unless you like staying in big hotel chains such as the Fairmont or Sheraton, then I cannot recommend the Opus highly enough.

• Stayed: July 2005
5  Thank FoodDoc
Reviewed July 10, 2005

Stayed 3 nights in a superior room during our wedding trip. When we arrived, we were advised there is no self park available, so the CAD 25 valet parking is obligatory. We arrived at 2.30 PM and were advised that international check-in time is 3 PM, so had to go for a walk.
Our room was small, but clean and nice. The safe was not working properly during our entire stay. On the first morning, I left my pj's in bed; quite a challenge to recover them by the day we left; without appologies or so. (and they even lost my handkerchiefs...). They offer nice l'Occitane products in your bathroom, but they're so sparing with them; I didn't get a refill during my 3 days, although I finished them up. Internet access is really expensive for this type of hotel. The Opus bar is self-advertised as the place to be seen, but ehhhh, I'm afraid that goes back to times long gone (although the hotel only opened in 2002); all we saw were very typical tourists like us and some American students, and part of the staff was very unattentive. At check-out, there were 3 nights of accommodation on my bill, although fully pre-paid.
On the positive: the only hotel during our honeymoon that did something special: they put a large bottle of VOSS water in our room, some top chocolates and a greeting card. The hotel's location is SUPER, and their dining suggestions are TOP (Tojo's for Japanese, Blue Water Cafe for Seafood) and they have a complimentary limousine service for their guests, meaning a nice Mercedes S-Class brings you around town free of chrage.
My conclusion: the Opus doesn't come up to the mark and should work on the details. My advice: if you can book a promotion, don't hesitate!

• Stayed: July 2005
9  Thank ErwinFromBelgium
A TripAdvisor Member
Vancouver, B.C.
Reviewed June 20, 2005

My first stay in this hotel was Valentines Day 2003 with my husband (who was then my "significant other"!) I felt like I was at club med in my own city! It was obvious the layout of the room was well thought out for the romantic, the travelling business person or the person travelling for pleasure. The soaker tub and/or rain shower head that you can indulge yourself in l'occitane products. You can get some wonderful rest on their comfy beds with fine linens, go downstairs for a delicious meal at the Elixir (which turns into one of Vancouver hot spots at night!) or just step out the door and you are in beautiful Yaletown. My husband and I stayed at the OPUS on our wedding night in 2003 (and the next night) and we had one of the garden terrace rooms. I private dinner for us was set up in the zen garden which was amazing. We have been back for our anniversary in 2004 and we are due to return July 18, 2005 for our 2nd anniversay. Each time we have stayed the service is professional, courteous and friendly. There is rarely a need or want that they will not make an effort to satifsy above your expectations. Thank you to all the staff at OPUS it is you that keep us coming back and recommending you to our friends and family.

• Stayed: July 2004
5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 3, 2005

I had read very good reviews of the Opus, and the hotel definitely lived up to expectations. The service was as good as any Four Seasons I've ever stayed in, even though the people at the front desk are responsible for not just check-in, but concierge duties as well, not to mention taking room service orders. They are incredibly cheerful and very helpful, very adept at making great suggestions for day trips or restaurants based on what we were looking for. We had an excellent room--splurged on a Deluxe Courtyard, with a push-button fireplace, which came in handy to celebrate my wife's 40th birthday. They even had a bottle of wine and chocolates in the room when we arrived. It's right in Yaletown, blocks away from most of the hippest restaurants in town and great trendy shopping, and blocks from the water/aquabus station. It's an example of what an excellent small hotel can be.

7  Thank cubbyboy1991
A TripAdvisor Member
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed May 26, 2005

Went to the Opus for a bachelor party weekend. The service at the Opus is fantastic and all the staff were great. We had an executive suite which was plenty big on the corner of the hotel (the regular rooms were of okay size). The bed was very comfy and all the amenities in the room were what you would expect of a high end hotel. The only negative for some people would be that the room could get a little noisy from the street traffic (we were on the 3rd floor). The bar downstairs was great - not as crowded as I would have thought, but a good time. All the other bars in Yaletown were only 4 blocks away and easily walkable. The hotel has an S430 that will take you whereever you want - you should definitely request it if its available and just tip the driver. If you are up there for the strip clubs, screw Brandi's and go to No. 5 Orange instead - very very good times. I would highly recommend the hotel.

• Stayed: May 2005
6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 11, 2005

Well where do I begin. The lobby was small but welcoming. A hip bar and local hangout to the right. You gotta check out the bathroom too.... kind of a unique setup..... just go see for yourself.

Now for the room. I was on the 7th floor facing a group of apartments across the way. My room was very clean and well appointed. The best part was the shower. It had a full glass wall facing the bedroom. In the bedroom was a curtain that covered this window/wall to the shower basicallly right next to the bed. Leave the rest up to your imagination as to how this can apply to you.

Looking out the main window to the adjacent apartments, especially when dark, will give another interestesting visual experience. Many of apartment's bathrooms have shower walls that are merely frosted floor to ceiling windows that face the hotel. Not much more to explain beyond than that.

I am beginning to wonder what it is about Vancouver and showers..... hmmmm

The hotel is located in a great area of town. A little bit of walking and you will have some great food and shopping at your disposal.

Vancouver is a great place and unlike many cities. The Opus enhances this experience. I was told from others in my party that all the rooms were NOT like mine. In fact, everyone came over to mine just to see I wasn't pulling their legs.

Just in case you are wondering..... and I am sure that you are.... my room number was 730. Any questions contact me.... I'll be happy to help.

Have fun!