“A sophisticated boutique hotel with exceptional service”
Review of Opus Hotel

Opus Hotel
Ranked #6 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
BC
“A sophisticated boutique hotel with exceptional service”
Reviewed July 3, 2009

I have stayed at Opus a number of times and have always found the service and staff to be simply exceptional. The advantages of a small hotel are numerous, the staff greet you as you walk in and are always at your service and it just feels cozier than the larger hotels. The rooms are far from standard fare, offering very interesting layouts and services. Most of the ones I’ve stayed in had large bathrooms with separate glass showers, some have had fireplaces. The TVs are all new and work well (a simple thing that never fails to annoy me if they don't work), and the provided amenities are first rate. All the rooms have had a nice desk and much apprecaited office chair for working at.

The Elixir restaurant is fantastic; especially their French take on breakfast and room service is always quick and accommodating. I travel a fair amount and the quality of food in some high-end hotels room service is lacking at times, this has never been the case at Opus. Opus also offers a very convenient car service, a black 7-series BMW will take you to a restaurant or play in downtown Vancouver, and you arrive thinking you're a much bigger VIP than you might actually be.

Opus Hotel is located in Yale town, a newly renovated neighborhood in Downtown Vancouver comprised of great restaurants and small boutique shops but also close to all of downtown. It’s also close to the False Creek sea wall, a nice place to walk off the days’ stress.

As I said, I've stayed at Opus Hotel a number of times and keep going back because of the service. It’s my favorite of all the hotels in downtown Vancouver and I’ve stayed at most of major ones. I would heartily recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (452)
Vernon, Canada
Reviewed July 1, 2009

I travelled to Vancouver about 2 weeks ago to visit my sister and get my urban fix. Thought we'd stay in a hotel for a night to endulge in some luxury even though she lives there. Had always heard good things about the Opus but hadn't stayed there before...

I was travelling solo, took a cab from the airport and was at the hotel in about 25 minutes. By the time I paid the cab, the attendant had already taken my bag to the front desk. I was impressed. Checked in at the front desk, was told my sister had already checked in was waiting in the lobby bar. The attendant took my bag up to the room and I met my sister in the lobby bar.

Room:

Room had a cool vibe, not the usual hotel decor. Modern, lots of dark wood, white, and chrome. Room was small but roomy enough. Had enough closet space to hang clothes. One wall was windows with a small balcony. The bed was very comfortable especially since they didn't have the usual huge cheap pillows which kill my neck. Quality sheets and duvet. Bathroom was modern and roomy, L'Occitane products were another plus. the glass shower with a sheer curtain was cool. If I was there with my husband, it would of totally rocked. You can pull back the curtain and view the person showering from the bed, interesting, maybe not so much with my sis, but not a big deal. Had turn down service before we left for dinner. Had a great sleep and was amazed how quiet it was, especially since it's right downtown (we were on the 7th, top floor).
FYI: Room also comes with 2 ipod docking stations, so don't need to bring your ipod speakers.

Business Centre:

I had to use the business centre during my stay, on Saturday before check-out, since I was doing a distance education course, something was due. Bus. centre is on the 2nd floor, which I liked. Not placed in the lobby in a small room. Card entry was required, room was large, with 2 spacious desks. Room was even equipped with printers. No password was required, so it was very comfortable just like I was at home, which is important I think when you want to deal with your work/school responsibilities and get back to your vacation.

Service:

We were impressed by the service, it was professional and extremely efficient. We had to call down twice during our stay. Once, we requested more coffee (house brand is starbucks) which was brought up to our room in about 2 seconds it seemed. Second time my sis was wondering if they had morning paper service and was then asked which one she would prefer out of three choices, nice!

Best things about the hotel are it doesn't feel like a hotel (small size), decor, service, and location.

Area:

Lots of cool boutiques, restaurants, and bars in the area all within walking distance of hotel. Sea wall is about 2 blocks away which is also an awesome perk.

Stayed June 2009, traveled solo
Naarden
Reviewed June 29, 2009

The unpretentious and friendly approach of staff to their guests makes this hotel stand out from many famed hotels. This combined with an eye for aesthetics, all details done well, great bar and location make this hotel a great place. I fully understand their top rating by Conde Nast.
Getting one of the larger rooms is recommended for longer stays, we were in one of the suites with our 5 year old son and that extra space worked well for us all.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
okanogan
Reviewed June 28, 2009

We enjoyed the " room with a difference", its quality and cleanliness. The staff were very efficent and very friendly from the time of booking until we checked out. The location to the main downtown area of Vancouver was excellent without feeling you were staying in the busy downtown area of a major city.

• Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed June 28, 2009

Stayed a night at the opus hotel recently. Very cool rooms, not big, but big enough. The bathroom was big and the shower was great. Bed was super comfortable. Downside was the curtains don't block out all the light, I like to sleep in a dark room, but the blinds/cutrains here were very light. Also, you can hear everything outside in the hallway and the surrounding room, the walls mist be quite thin, I could here the wheels on someones suitcase as the rolled it past the door the next morning. We had a drink in the bar downstairs which was a cool crowd and a busy place for a Friday night. The front desk staff were friendly and helpful and the location was very much smack in the middle of trendy yaletown.

Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
edmonton
Reviewed June 24, 2009

excellent service, extremely clean and modern rooms, the price, at least on my stay was a bargain for the hotel as a whole. hip, fun, safe , professional, friendly, makes staying there absolutly wounderful.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled solo
Florida
Reviewed June 23, 2009

Loved the decor. The artistic and creative way the hotel plays with lighting. Energetic, helpful and friendly staff. We loved the waterfall shower. The turn down surface was a treat. Loved all the extras. The fact that the Hotel has so many unique designs and extras made it stand out from all our other stays. Restaurant's a block away. Great walking area. Loved it!

Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple