“The Place to stay in Yale Town, Vancouver”
Review of Opus Hotel

Opus Hotel
Ranked #6 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
Westlake Village, United States
“The Place to stay in Yale Town, Vancouver”
Reviewed August 7, 2014

This is my fourth stay at the Opus and once again they did a great job of looking after me. From the very friendly staff to the excellent service you cannot fault the experience. Thye say it is all about location, location, location well the Opus is very handly located for everything. I am looking foward to my next trip to Vancouver and will certainl stay at the Opus again.

Room Tip: 7th Floor at the side of the hotel are the quietest rooms.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
OPUSHotel, General Manager at Opus Hotel, responded to this review, August 11, 2014
Dear Robert M,

Firstly, thank you very much for your on going loyal support! We rely heavily on receiving guest feedback to ensure we are providing the best boutique experience possible, and truly appreciate you taking the time to forward on your comments. As you mentioned, our Yaletown neighborhood has continued over the years to grow in popularity with our guests and locals alike. Thank you again for returning to the hotel for your recent stay, and we will look forward to welcoming you back for #5!

Nicholas Gandossi

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (451)
Kelowna, Canada
Reviewed August 7, 2014

My wife and I loved this hotel. The only complaint was the washroom door would get a little stuck when you tried to open it. Location was perfect and the service was excellent. This hotel has a very unique style and we thought it was great. Loved the pop rocks they put on your bed at night instead of a mint !
We will be back.

• Stayed July 2014
Dear RyanHamilton123,

Thank you very much for choosing to stay with OPUS. We loved hearing how you would want to return to stay with us for your next visit to Vancouver! We know you enjoyed the pop rocks at turn down, but you will be interested to hear that the retro candy we leave in the room each night is different for every day of the week, just to keep things exciting. A quick note, to extend our apologies for the challenges with the door, something we should have caught prior to your arrival. Thank you again for taking the time to post your feedback, and we will look forward to welcoming you back to OPUS!

Sisters, Oregon
Reviewed August 6, 2014

This was our first stay at the Opus, it will not be our last. The room was beautifully appointed, quiet, super clean and neat, lots of elbow room.. All the rooms have iPads for the guests to use, what a wonderful idea, no need to drag out the laptop, plus the room had plugs easily accessible for all those gadgets that we need to charge. All and all a very well thought out room. Also the staff were exceptional, always polite, able to answer, help, find, direct, you name it and they could do it. They made you feel like their sole purpose was make sure we were happy, content and in need of nothing.

Dear Carol W,

Than you very much for choosing to stay with us, and for then posting your feedback. We were very happy to see your comments regarding the staff and the service they provided, along with how you were able to take advantage of the iPad in the room! We appreciate your support, and will look forward to the next opportunity to welcome you back to OPUS!

Calgary, Canada
Reviewed August 6, 2014

On a recent getaway weekend, I was not really enjoying the alternate hotel (luxury) I was staying at, so decided I would move to the Opus if possible. I've stayed there several times previously and enjoy the property and location. The gentleman at the reception counter informed me the hotel was sold out for the nights I requested. As I left, just to double check availability I logged into the Opus website on my I-phone and booked a room. !?!? I had inadvertently booked a double room online, I contacted a very helpful person at the reservations phone #, she switched my room to a Standard King (at a lower price category!). So obviously there were rooms available, I'm not sure if I should take my treatment at the front desk personally. :o(

Otherwise an excellent stay a usual, the rest of the staff were pleasant, friendly and helpful. Offer of water or sparking wine at check in, cheerful greetings, comfortable room, etc.

A nice gesture was the delivery to my room of an great bottle of BC wine on ice and a plate of macarons to recognize my 10th stay at the Opus! Much appreciated.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Dear Jake F,

Thank you very much for choosing to move back to OPUS during your recent stay in Vancouver. Our apologies for the initial confusion we caused at the front desk, but we were very happy things corrected themselves, and that you were back staying at OPUS! Please contact me directly at ngandossi@opushotel.com for your next visit to Vancouver, and I will personally ensure that your 11th stay with us is an exceptional one! Thank you again for all of your support, and we will look forward to the next opportunity to welcome you back to OPUS.

Reviewed August 5, 2014

Checked my brother & his wife into this hotel for their wedding night. Staff & service was excellent.
Manager at the front desk was particularly accommodating. Bride & groom were very happy. I'd recommend this hotel.

Seattle, Washington
Reviewed August 5, 2014

This is my first stay at the Opus Hotel and I my expectations were exceeded in every way. It is located in Yaletown (my first time staying in that part of Vancouver) and I found it to be not too far from the hot spots (we walked everywhere). There are tons of great restaurants minutes away on Hamilton Street (try The Flying Pig). The waterfront is very close which makes for a great view walk. The hotel is also dog friendly (no surcharge either!). The staff was very friendly, valet was fast and efficient, and the hip style of the hotel fit with my tastes. I had a King Deluxe room which was spacious and even had an ipad and mobile phone in the room. The wifi was free. There is no pool but that was not that big of deal to me. I would stay again for sure!

Room Tip: Higher floor room
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JeffSeattle007
washington
Reviewed August 5, 2014

Hi everyone, if you're reading this review, it's probably because you've read other reviews about this hotel that were just as complementary. I most certainly agree with everyone else about this boutique hotel, it is phenomenal. Let's see, where to start:

1) Guest Services/Concierge - I have to say that the hotel staff (from the front desk to the valet) were incredibly attentive and friendly. They were GENUINE about their hospitality. I've stayed at other hotels where the concierge personnel seem "nice" -- however it shows that it's a requirement of their job. Everyone at the Opus was genuinely nice! Everyone greeted us, had wonderful conversation, remembered details about us, and were able to give excellent recommendations. We were able to ask about restaurants, activities, sights, etc. They notified us that the weekend we came up they were having the fireworks on English Bay. They even told us where to go to get the best view/seats for the show. This is top notch service to me -- and I've stayed at Four Seasons, Sofitel, and other top notch places as well -- nothing matched to this level of genuine hospitality.

Upon our arrival, they sent us a complimentary bottle of wine and chocolates (we were there to celebrate our anniversary) to our room, but we also received a glass of sparkling wine upon check in. Even the food service staff took the time to welcome us, thank us for staying with them, and wishing us a happy anniversary. They were very nice and open.

2) Accommodations -- the room we stayed in (executive suite) was an upgrade from our Courtyard Deluxe accommodations (see pictures). The room was just exquisite. We had plenty of room to spread about our things. As another guest noted, the rooms have floor to ceiling windows, which allow for lots of natural light. I love it, however others might be a bit more nervous about people from the building across the street staring into their rooms. They have two types of blinds, one is mesh, while the other is opaque. We kept the mesh blinds 3/4 of the way down in the bathroom to allow natural light in, and to be able to see out. Other folks might choose to have it all the way down. We had a 4 piece washroom which was always clean. In the shower there were 3 wall dispensers (shampoo, conditioner, body wash). Unfortunately my hubby and I were allergic to the body wash -- however in the temporary time we used it, it smelled phenomenal. The heated floors were a great addition on the cool mornings.

The beds were amazingly comfortable. I've slept on many a bed, and generally I prefer extremely firm mattresses, but these were firm, and also had a soft overlay, so it was quite comfortable. The pillows were incredibly soft, and plentiful, so no worries there. There are a ton of outlets everywhere -- they have an ipod/iphone dock next to the bed, however it will work with the older connectors rather than the new lightening chords.

There were tv's in both the living room and the bedroom. We also had an ipad and Samsung phone to use during our stay. This was so helpful, as we used the phone for navigation outside of the hotel. They also were able to tell us how to use it as well (inside the perimeter and outside). The signal in and out of the hotel is great. If you are someone from the state side (or international), it's easy to get wi-fi from almost everywhere in Granville.

All rooms have various themes in them, our room was red. The rooms were also very sound proof. I was afraid I would hear other people or noises, but the rooms are very solidly built.

3) Restaurant -- we only had breakfast at the Opus restaurant (which was included in the package we purchased), it was very good. We had the continental breakfast, which exceeded my expectations. A lot of "continental breakfasts" only include bagels, cream cheese, and pastries. They had various juices, granola, cereal, hard boiled eggs, various pastries, fruit, bread, and bagels. It was more than enough for a delicious start to the day.

4) Activities and food -- I want to mention that there are LOTS of restaurants around the hotel. Everything from pizza (flying pig?) to asian, to fusion, to you name it. Taxi's run consistently in front of the hotel, however the underground is directly caddy corner to the hotel as well if you need it. The hotel has bicycles for rent -- however you should get to them as soon as you can, as they go quickly! If you aren't able to get one from the hotel, there is a bicycle rental that gives discounts if you stay at the hotel -- they are located right down the street (go out of the hotel and make a right -- go approximately 4 blocks down, and you'll see it on the right). There is the seawall that you can walk (or bike around), you can walk to Gasworks, or all around the general vicinity and go boutique shopping.

If you do have any questions about things to do, please do ask the front desk staff, they are SUPER friendly and have all of the information. The General Manager (Nicholas Gandossi), while we never got to meet vis-a-vis, I can tell you runs an incredibly pristine hotel and must really take care of his staff.

Oh, one quick note before I forget, this tip will be very helpful for those not from Canada (stateside or international) -- they exchange currency at the front desk! We wanted to have Canadian currency while there, however the banks were closed at the time we wanted to exchange. We were able to get our funds changed at the front desk (they exchange at about the same rate the banks do -- whatever is the going rate at the end of the day).

Also, we saw many families there. This hotel clearly does cater to children as well. They have a gym there (small by convention), however with lots of equipment available. There is a shower in the gym if you'd rather shower there than go back t your room. They have fruit, towels, and bottled water if needed. The facility was very clean and usable. Lastly, if you have a hybrid, parking is free. I'm not sure if it's all over Vancouver, but I believe it is at the hotel (which was great to know -- even though parking came with our package).

Hope this is helpful to all who plan on staying there. I would DEFINITELY recommend this place to anyone that stays in Granville. Good luck!

Room Tip: Corner rooms give a better view of the outside-street which is lovely, however sometimes it can be r...
Dear travelling_fishes,

Thank you very much for providing one of the most detailed and thorough reviews we have received. On behalf of the hotel and the entire Trip Advisor community, we truly appreciate the time you took to note, and write down all of the various points that you brought forward. Most importantly, we were thrilled to read how much you enjoyed your overall OPUS experience! Thank you again for your support, and we will look forward to the next opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel.