“Trying to walk the fine line between cool and pretentious”
Review of Opus Hotel

Opus Hotel
Ranked #6 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
Reviewed July 1, 2008

I'm torn. On one hand I liked the Opus for its convenient location, comfortable room and friendly staff. On the other hand, I could barely stand the pretention and wannabe-hipster vibe. I appreciate interesting design, and I'm all for a hotel trying to fit its neighbourhood, but...elevators bathed in red and blue floodlights? C'mon. I've stayed in plenty of hotels, like the Gault in Montreal or Le Germain in Toronto that ARE cool, without resorting to parlour tricks like that. I appreciated the function, comfort and design touches (like the Aeron desk chairs and raindrop showerheads) of the hotel but I found it hard not to snicker at all the awkward attempts to be funky.

Two issues I had: 1) if you stay on the 2nd, or even 3rd floor, expect street noise. We live in downtown Toronto and are used to it, but on Saturday night at 2AM there were literally people outside our window having screaming contests. Ask for a high floor. 2) Charging $14.95/day for an internet connection is ridiculous. For a hotel that claims to be cutting edge, that's some pretty 2002 thinking. If you stay here and you need to check your email or do a web check-in, just go down to the business centre on the 2nd floor. It's free.

I would happily recommend the Yaletown neighbourhood to someone visiting Vancouver, but I don't know if I'd recommend this hotel to most people. I like boutique hotels, and recommend them often, but this isn't one.

Nearby: Yaletown's a great neighbourhood to stroll around. You can borrow bikes from the hotel, or rent them at the bottom of Davie Street, and bike along the waterfront...or walk, or rollerblade. It's easy to get to the other side of downtown as well, with all that entails, or to get to Stanley Park & the seawall, etc., etc.

Restaurants: the restaurant in the hotel seemed ok (we only had breakfast there) but the hotel bar itself was trying desperately hard to be trendy. If sitting on bean bag chairs and drinking cocktails bathed in purple light is your thing, then this is the bar for you. If not, there's a great brewpub around the corner on Mainland, or lots of nearby places in between those extremes. Same goes for food...you can easily walk to anything from a sports bar to thai to italian to a Rob Feenie restaurant, or take a cab to everything else. Vancouver's limitless when it comes to good food. Also, Yaletown has just as many coffee shops as other Vancouver neighbourhoods (if not more) and there's a great grocery store near the foot of Davie Street.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
3  Thank LtDan

Reviewed July 1, 2008

Hotel is just lovely. We liked absolutely everything. Room was bueatiful, modern, cosy, well equiped (plasma tv, ihome, mini bar very well stocked with a vairety of drinks and snacks, l'occitane toileteries). Stuff was very friendly, nice, helpfull. There's free internet , free bikes, lovely lounge/bar area and the location is great for exploring the city. After a whole day of hopping around the city, we coulnd't wait to get back to the room :) we really enjoyed it!

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank journeys4me
Reviewed June 10, 2008

We loved everything about this hotel except the yellow paint colour in our room. Other than that the room was very comfortable. Breakfast was delicious. We were upgraded to make sure we we were in a quiet room as we requested when we booked. There were real rock stars eating breakfast at the same time as us. The shopping and restaurants right outside the door are great. The gym is bijoux but clean and has a good outlook onto a corner where you can watch all the groovy locals go by. Most importantly the staff were friendly and helpful in everyway possible.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank WhistlerManchester
Reviewed June 4, 2008

I booked this hotel through Hotwire. When you book through Hotwire the way I did, you don't know the name of the hotel until AFTER you've paid for it!!! But I was willing to run that risk, because I could just not make my mind up with what hotel to pick downtown! I was concerned with some of the reviews/remarks that I read about the construction going on on Davie Street where the hotel is located, but, believe me, I am a light sleeper, and it was fine! I had a room that faced the street perpendicular to Davie. DON'T stay at a Holiday Inn, Westin, etc. Stay here-you can stay at a Holiday Inn, etc anytime!!! I was a flight attendant for 6 years, and am more than qualified to recommend hotels-trust me, you will not be disappointed! Nice L'Occitane (sp.?) toiletries, heated floor in the bathrooms!, free bottled water (2 a day!), free use of internet computer in the business center, no ice per se, but they provide you with a full bucket of ice as part of their turn-down service! A lot of nice little touches that make a difference, and that you wouldn't see too many other places! And the bus/public transportation is very easy-correct change only when you get on the buses, but your bus ticket has an expiration time, so it's good until that time. And if you miss a bus, they're quite frequent-usually every 15 min. or so, so even though the Opus is not on Robson, don't be discouraged about public transport-between customer service at Translink, and the staff at Opus, it's quite easy to get around!

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled solo
2  Thank torracym
Reviewed June 4, 2008

Despite the unavoidable construction around the hotel at this time, our stay was without problems or complaints. The service provided by the hotel staff is unrivalled. They accommodate all your requests with warmth and generosity. This hotel clearly realizes that service is still the most important factor, and it's refreshing to see such care and attention paid to guests' needs.

The room, while small, is comfortable with all conveniences. I never slept better than the nights I stayed here. The sheets and pillows are magic. The hallways were always very quiet--something that I am very sensitive to at other hotels--and I think the design / construction of the hotel must have taken sound-proofing into account, because I never heard other guests anywhere on the floor.

We found good rates online with Orbitz, but I was hesitant to book with this online service. Opus matched Orbitz's rate without any question.

We enjoyed our stay at this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled on business
3  Thank Dr1975
Reviewed May 24, 2008

Stayed at the Opus Hotel for 4 nights recently. We got upgraded from a standard Queen room to a King room which was nice. The room was spacious, loved the decor, bed was comfortable, pillows could have been better. They change the sheets every day unless you place a card on the bed to notify that the sheets don't need to be changed. Bathroom was awesome, loved the shower and the L'Occitane toiletries. Complimentary water every day was great.

We were only on the second floor of the hotel and the construction of the Canada Line was right out front, however we didn't really notice the noise too much and didn't need the earplugs! However on our last night which was a Thursday night there was a DJ in the bar area downstairs and this did keep me awake until after 2am, so if you are staying over a weekend I would suggest a higher room in the hotel to avoid the loud base music thumping.

The service we received was fantastic. We utilised the complimentary hotel bicycles for a lovely morning cycle around the seawall and Stanley Park. I would recommend this. It was very easy to get from the hotel to the cycle path. The location of the hotel is great. Loved Yaletown and the boutique shops and so many restaurant choices all within a few minutes walk. We didn't pay for the internet in our room but just chose to use the internet in the Business Center which was free, if we needed to check anything online. Used the gym as well which was adequate for our needs. Fresh apples here as well, very nice. I would definitely recommend this hotel and would choose to stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
4  Thank cedunning
Reviewed May 11, 2008

I went to stay one night at the Opus hotel while waiting for the rest of our travel party to arrive in the city. We were forewarned about the construction occurring beside the hotel for the Olympics, and had requested a room on the side of the hotel away from the noise. Not only did the hotel do a great job accommodating this request - they upgraded my Standard Room reservation to a Business Executive Suite at no extra charge!! Needless to say, my travel partner and I were ecstatic! We also highly enjoyed the secure elevators (which will only access floors using your keypass). Great safety measure in a metropolitan city.

Around 20 minutes after checking in to our suite an settling down, the wonderful Meaghan from the front desk was kind enough to provide us with a courtesy call to ensure that all our needs were met. 10 minutes afterwards, the friendliest staff member came to our door to deliver water, ice, earplugs, and offer turndown service. I have never met nicer people in the hospitality industry who genuinely seem to love their jobs. Well done!

The suite itself was high high high above expectations, in terms of finish, decor, and just general quality of furniture. Everything was squeaky clean and very orderly. The design element was consistent throughout, and impressed me (a frequent traveler) very much. The bathrooms were stunning and the stand-up shower was definitely my favourite part of the room (aside from the most comfortable bed in the world). A word of advice to those who are picky with pillows - the Opus has fairly high pillows which can be an issue if you are used to lower ones at home. But the beds themselves are awesome! The lobby itself was also very well decorated - the only issue is that the concierge desk is right next to the open bar concept. When there is a reception there (as there was when we arrived), it can be very loud and hard to check in and hear what the concierge is trying to say.

We checked out at noon the next day, and sorely missed the hotel and all its beautiful amenities for the rest of our trip. Thank you to the wonderful staff at the Opus for starting off our trip on a most positive note!

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with family