“Love this hotel - not so much the specific room”
Review of Opus Hotel

Opus Hotel
Ranked #6 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
Reviewed February 5, 2008

Have stayed at the Opus previously and really enjoyed our stay which is why we decided to return again this time in Vancouver. The only complaint I have, is that the room was above the bar area, which, on a Friday night became quite boisterous and loud as the night wore on. Other than that, love the funkiness of the hotel (including the bar) and the great Yaletown location.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled on business
2  Thank TravelBugMississauga

Reviewed February 2, 2008

We arrived at the Opus on Christmas eve. Not surprisingly, the hotel was pretty empty. This worked in our favor as we were instantly upgraded to a studio suite. The staff went out of their way to make us comfortable - even to the point of making calls to and compiling a list of restaurants around town that were open on Christmas day (not much was). They all seemed to know the area well and gave us lots of valuable advice. The hotel bar and restaurant (Elixir) were both fantastic. Not only the food and drinks, but the decor. Modern, yet still pretty comfortable. I had heard that the Opus was the best hotel in Vancouver. Now I know why.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled as a couple
5  Thank ReedC
Reviewed February 2, 2008

I spent a night at the Opus recently and was looking forward to it as I have had several friends and collegues recommend it. My expectations were high and I was not disappointed. As a business traveller I see my fair share of hotels and after a while, even the best ones seem homogenized. So it was to my great delight that I found the Opus Hotel to be a unique and funky property with amazing service. It's hip decor seems to transcend time. At one moment you're in the lobby at the post modern check-in desk, and then just a few minutes later, enjoying drinks and dinner in a wonderful French style bistro. The rooms are just as cool, decorated in vibrant colors (mine was chartruese!), and filled with tiny ammentities that make the most jaded traveller sit up and take notice. I personally enjoyed the latest cultural magazines (not the usual "Guides and activity brochures" here!), and the relaxing CD's included in the room that turned me on to some new artists. As for the service, it was attentive, professional and not the least bit "put on". I had some great chats with some of the staff that made me feel like I was hanging out with new friends, not the hired help. I can probably best sum up the visit with a quote I found in the hotel from another guest. To paraphrase, "I felt like my cool friend had just gone away for the weekend and left me the keys to his funky pad in the heart of Yaletown". I hope he goes away again soon!

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled on business
5  Thank Darryl46
Reviewed January 31, 2008

I found this hotel after looking on Tripadvisor for a hotel in Vancouver. I had always stayed at the Hamptons in the past. After staying at this hotel the last week I would never stay anywhere different in Vancouver.

FIRST IMPRESSIONS-
I arrived early in the morning on a snow covered day and the staff greeted me and had everything done in about 2 mins for me to get up to my room. I went up to my room to put my bags down before I went back out to get a friend I was coming to visit. When I opened the door I was pleasantly surprised by how nice the room was. It reminded me of the W chain of hotels. The room was not huge but very well designed and the washroom was to die for. When I got back from picking up my friend and sat on one of the beds I realized how incredibly comfortable the bed was. The next morning I almost didn't want to get out of bed I was so comfy.

Staff-
|As with most times I stay at hotels I don't know the city that well and ask a few questions the first day. I think this is the first time in recent memory that the staff actually made me feel like asking a question was a good thing rather then bothering them while they did work. Anytime I had any question or needed anything they were right on top of it. They even had coupons for when I went to the aquarium near by.

Area-
I had never heard of or been to yaletown where the hotel is located before this visit so I didn't know what to expect. I personally had never been a huge fan of Vancouver before largely because of the problem they have with run down areas and the poor everywhere but I was blown away by this part of town. It reminded me of Soho in new york or the hip and trendy spots in any city. It has tons of nice restaurants, bars, lounges and shops around it. Your also very close to all the sporting venues and if you need a ride they have a BMW 7 series that can drive you where you need to go.

OVERALL-
I personally am never intending to stay at another hotel when I am in vancouver. As long as there are rooms here I will be staying at this beautiful boutique hotel.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled solo
2  Thank littlesmitty45
Reviewed December 21, 2007

If luxury and attention to detail is your thing then go. Treat a girlfriend to a romantic get away - we loved it! MAke sure you get to the recommended breakfast bar out of town ?Sophies. The limousine driver kindly dropped us there both days.

• Stayed: September 2004, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 9, 2007

The hotel is in a great location, has very comfortable and funky rooms. Extra little touches like books and magazines in the room are awesome. Along with nice music selection. Beds were very comfortable.

However, we could not enjoy it because there was a party in the room next door until 4am. They were extremely loud. We could not sleep even with earplugs. We did complain and the hotel did send two people up but it did not help for long.

When we told reception at check out the next day, they did not seem to care. There was no offer for discount or apologies. That was very disappointing and eliminates all the good work the hotel does in all other areas.

Stayed: December 2007
4  Thank mbuie
Reviewed November 27, 2007

Staying at the Opus Hotel is an experience in and of itself. Honestly, having stayed at quite a few hotels, this is the only hotel that truly impressed me to the point where I regretted having to return the keys for my guestroom.

This is not to say that my stay at the Opus was without its faults. However, this property is fresh and cutting-edge. The staff are professional (without being stuffy) and the rooms, restaurant and amenities are all fantastic.

Here's an overview of my stay:

Pros

- Trendy boutique-style hotel unique to Vancouver
- Location is insanely cool (great architecture, many shops, cafes, restaurants etc.)
- Rooms are on the smaller side but are well laid-out and are very sleek and sexy
- Opus Spa Bathrooms are amazing (heated floors, deep soaker tubs, rainfall showers)
- New LCD/Plasma TVs are excellent (I'd love to rent a room just to have friends over to watch a hockey game)
- Opus Bar and Elixir Restaurant are great hot-spots with excellent food and drinks
- The staff are young, professional and personable
- Complimentary downtown BMW car service is very handy
- Turndown service is wonderful (I loved the chocolates)

Cons

- There is construction next to the hotel which, at times, is annoying
- This is a fairly expensive hotel (but definitely worthwhile spending money to stay in)
- The rooms are starting to show wear-and-tear (rooms need paint, tables/wood work are chipped etc.)
- Beds are not pillow-top (they're still fairly comfortable!)
- As the hotel is small, the rooms are generally smaller, too

Overall

In my opinion, Opus deserves all the hype and attention it receives. It's the only hotel of its kind in Vancouver and, as far as my stay went, there really wasn't anything wrong with the hotel that would keep me from wanting to stay there in the future. It's also worth noting that yes, Opus is ultra modern and hip - but that dosen't mean it isn't home-like or welcoming. The rooms feature so many small, personal touches (CDs, iPod stations, books, magazines) which most hotels just don't offer.

I recommend booking this hotel directly to request rooms away from the construction.

All-in-all, this is the best hotel I have stayed in yet and do not hesitate giving it my highest recommendation.

Stayed: October 2007