“A Magnificent Opus” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #6 of 89 Hotels in Vancouver
Edmonton
“A Magnificent Opus”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2011

Opus is a high-end boutique hotel frequented by notables from the fashion and film industries and youngish professionals in-the-know. It looks like something our of Wallpaper magazine: ultra-trendy, understated-modern punctuated with vibrant colours and a hip vibe.

My room was spacious with a glorious soaking tub and a walk-in shower. The king-sized bed gave me the chance to try the TempurPedic mattress (sheer indulgence and a great night's sleep). All the amenities are high-end: the l'Occitane toiletries, larger bottles of liquor on the desk, the softest bathrobe ever. Yet for me the most important part of the room was the feeling I got as I entered after a hectic day of sightseeing: It was tranquil and I welcomed the feeling of privacy and quiet. I could get used to this.

When I returned to my room at night, there was little card at my bedside that told me what tomorrow's weather would bring, along with a carafe of water. Where else would nightly turn down service come with an all-day sucker one night and a string of fizzy candy the next, instead of the ubiquitous chocolate?

That told me that I was staying in a place that takes its service, rather than itself, seriously. And that really made a difference, because I'm so far off the fashion/trendy grid that it's a non-fashion statement in itself. So I was worried that I'd be treated to pretentious staff looking me over and making me feel like I didn't belong.
Instead I was spoiled at and by Opus - starting with informed, cheerful and courteous staff and running the gamut.

The David-Bowie-does-Andy-Warhol decor of the restaurant (complete with silver walls, sprayed-on graphics, crystal chandeliers and disco balls) was so retro is took me back to my grad school days in NYC. Breakfasts there are really worth it: lavender-honey yogurt, chunks of fresh fruit, and thick, toothsome multi-grained toast really got my attention.

And it couldn't be more convenient: a few blocks walk to the pier to catch the Aquabus fro Granville Island market, walking distance to almost anything I wanted to see, and just kitty corner from the Yaletown-Roundhouse stop of the Canada Line to the airport.

So you think I liked Opus? I LOVED it!

3 Thank NattyDeFirenze
OPUSHotel, General Manager at Opus Hotel, responded to this review, August 25, 2011
Firstly. we wanted to say thank you for choosing OPUS for your recent stay in Vancouver. Secondly, we wanted to express our gratitude for the time you took to post your feedback, detailing your OPUS Vancouver experience. Our staff do take great pride in the service they offer, and your comments were very much appreciated. Hopefully we will have another opportunity to welcome you back in the very near future.

Nicholas Gandossi

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (413)
Arlington Heights, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2011

My husband and I stayed for several days in August during a trip to the Pacific Northwest. During our entire trip, we had the opportunity to visit several cities/hotels. The Opus was the only one of the 4 star properties that we stayed at that I would look forward to visiting again. This hotel made our stay in Vancouver memorable. The staff, service and hotel are deserving of a 5 star rating. It is a very unique boutique hotel that has rooms decorated with the customer in mind. The 100 nights restaurant is awesome for breakfast. The waiters actually help you plan your day, give you tips on what to see, where to eat! The lounge/restaurant completely changes their decor every 100 days/nights and it takes on a completely new theme. The rooms are equallly creative! The lobby of the hotel is intimate and striking! In the evening the lobby becomes part of the lounge. The vibe is hip but fine for families and anyone that wants to feel pampered. It definitely is not a boring business hotel, but has a great business center if needed. Free bike rental, wireless internet, and transporation is an added perk. The front desk and the management are there to serve you and actually remember their guests names. We checked out after a few days and had them hold our extra luggage as we traveled to Whistler. On our return stay, at check in we wanted to claim our stored luggage and found out to our surprise that is was already delivered it to our room (at 10am before check in was even available). That is what I call service! Did I mention that you get champagne on check in?

Room Tip: Ask about the different color and themes of the rooms!
1 Thank danmarc2002
Victoria, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2011

Opus has become my favourite Vancouver hotel for business. This time I was combining business and pleasure with the added challenge of being my first trip since hip replacment surgery. The staff could not have been kinder or more attentive. The dinner, breakfast and lunch at 100 Nights were each in their own way superb, and the arrival lunch in the Cafe just what we wanted. Of course we will be back!

1 Thank patferns
charlotte
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2011

So I must say that our stay at the Opus was great. Upon arriving we were upgraded to a suite which had been almost $200 more per night, and they upgraded us for $50 per night, and the difference in room size was very nice. The furnishings were playful with purple paint on the walls. The bathroom had a great view facing False Creek and heated floors were a nice touch. The restaurant served great breakfast and the service was relaxed. The front desk was very helpful in making reservations, giving advice on sights to see and things to do, and the bellman were very courteous with giving us free rides in the complimentary 7 Series BMW the hotel provides.

The hotel is definitely a different scene at night, as it turns into the hottest bar in town. Quite different than the peacefulness of the day. Prepare for ferrari's, rolls royce's, aston Martin's and others parked in front of the hotel and a loud techno beat spilling out into the lobby.

Room Tip: Face the water if possible. The higher the floor the better.
1 Thank andytscg
Winnipeg, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2011

Thank you so much to the staff at the Opus. First class all the way! I was there on a business trip and the staff was attentive, helpfuland very friendly. The rooms were great. Perfect location , close to everything - will most definately be back!!

Room Tip: the rooms facing Davie are the best
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank adriasilvest
Kansas City
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2011

The Opus is a wonderful hotel, tucked away in the Yaletown section of Vancouver... Yaletown appears to be a hub of nightlife, restaurants, and is just a short walk away from a wonderful paved trail and sidewalk that goes around an inlet. The hotel itself is contemporary in decor...but done in a very tasteful and vibrant way. The room was lovely with clean fresh white linens on the bed which was very comfortable...believe ours was a queen size. The bathroom was incredibly unique and lovely. It actually was in the back part of the room, which is really the front of the building. There were floor to ceiling shades which when pulled up gave you a wonderful light into the room and a view of street goings on. The room also had a wonderful walk-in shower. The bathroom also had a floor heater which is a fabulous amenity. To accomodate a large bathroom in the front of the building and not waste space, they put a custom made vanity table that ran almost the width of the room. Ample space for everyone's cosmetics and toiletry products. Nice full length mirror. Housekeeping staff was very pleasant when visiting in the evening in offering ice or anything else. Coffee maker with Starbucks coffee is included. There were two robes in thecloset which we didn't use, but would be nice to wear. The hotel staff was very efficient and pleasant. We ate dinner and breakfast at the hotel restaurant, 100 days. The food was excellent as was the service. This is a great hotel with wonderful accomodations, service, and location. I will recommend it highly to any of my friends or business acquaintances visiting Vancouver.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank kleighKansasCity
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2011

Awesome hotel! It is everything you need and located in Yaletown. Especially good if you are looking for a happening place to stay.

• Stayed August 2011