“Treated Like 2nd Class for Using Hotwire”

Executive Hotel Vintage Park
Ranked #51 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
Reviewed October 27, 2013

My wife and I booked a room more than two months in advance using Hotwire. Executive Hotel Vintage Park was a Hotwire Hot Rate so we went with it. On the day of check-in we knew we were going to be a little late so we called ahead. We were told "NO PROBLEM" someone is at the desk round the clock. When we arrived my wife ran in to check us in. She came back out and said that the computers had been down when our reservation was made and we didn't actually have a reservation there, that we had been moved to a sister hotel (Quality Inn) a few door down. We checked in and I asked the clerk, so when was our reservation made. Just TODAY the clerk said. I went back to Executive hotel and was given a different story than what my wife was given. It basically comes down to a full price vs. a lower price. If they can get a full price, they will push out a lower price. The manager tried to tell me that when you use Hotwire you don't know what hotel you will be getting. When knew for two months! They are crooks! It's almost a bait and switch scam. I will never consider staying there again nor recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Travler7723
ExecGMVan, General Manager at Executive Hotel Vintage Park, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2013

I apologize for the apparent treatment you appear to have received when you arrived at the hotel. I can begin by assuring you that we do not treat Hotwire or any other online reservations differently than anyone else as we value all partnerships that we build.

The only time that a guest has to be relocated is if the property is unexpectedly oversold, or a room goes out of service for an unforeseen reason. When such a situation arises, the hotel quickly works to ensure we have alternate accommodations upon your arrival. In this case we were able to secure accommodations at the hotel attached to us next door, just a few steps away. We apologize for the information given by the front desk and I have personally reviewed this with our team to ensure they let guests know the exact reason they are being relocated should it happen. I am sorry that you felt that you being mistreated due to how you booked, which is far from the truth and we should not have given you that impression. Your comments will be used as a training for our team to avoid such misinformation in the future and I am grateful that you brought it to our attention. I understand your reluctance to return, and I hope that all properties can learn from your experience when it becomes necessary to relocate an arriving guest.

Reviewed October 23, 2013

This hotel was in a great location - within walking distance of downtown and everything Granville Island, in fact its in the heart if everything. The staff were amazing and it was the quietest hotel I have EVER slept in - I am a light sleeper. We found the staff helpful - especially ALBERT. Rooms clean although the double beds on the small side if you are taller than 6 feet. Exceeded expectations in every way. Also has WIFI.

Room Tip: Room 719 had no A/C noise and was incredibly quiet and very roomy.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Clarendon1234

Thank you for the kind words and we are thrilled that your enjoyed your time with us. I will be sure to pass along your comments to our team, especially Albert our concierge. I hope that you enjoyed Granville Island and took the iconic Aquabus over to the market to make it that much more special. I hope that we will see you on your next visit as we would look forward to meeting you at our evening wine tasting and share your Vancouver adventures.

Reviewed October 22, 2013

Room wasn't ready. Taps leaked. Exhaust in bathroom made the roof shudder. Spent an hour on the phone to IT help desk trying to fix our wi-fi. All they have us was free parking. Did not reply to complaint email.

• Stayed: October 2013

I am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay and found the room to be less than expected. We do our best to ensure that all rooms are ready by check-in time of 3pm and when possible we are happy to check you in early. There is no excuse for a room to have maintenance issues at check-in and I will ensure our maintenance department reviews their procedures to do their best to prevent this happening in the future.

At times when a computer cannot connect o the Wi-Fi system for whatever reason, we do put you in contact you with the service provider so they can walk through the set-up with you and your computer directly. While it is normally as simple as connecting, on occasion there are technical issues between the setup of a personal system and the Wi-Fi connection. We apologize for this inconvenience and hope that support was able to resolve the problem and get you online. Thank you for bring these issues to our attention and giving us the opportunity to improve our operation for all guests.

Reviewed October 21, 2013

From start to finish this hotel met my expectations! I traveled on a Travel Zoo Voucher and we had a phenomenal deal! We loved the complimentary parking, bottle of wine..nice touch and the complimentary bike rentals.

The location was perfect for a walk to Granville Island or downtown. Very friendly staff on all levels!

We will definitely book again!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
ExecGMVan, General Manager at Executive Hotel Vintage Park, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2013

Thank you so much for the wonderful review of your stay with us. I am pleased that we met your expectations and that you were able to take advantage of the Travelzoo offer. It has been extremely popular and we look forward to being able to do it again.

I will be sure to let the staff know of your kind words, as it means a lot to them. We look forward to welcoming you again in the future.

Reviewed October 21, 2013

We booked the executive hotel and found it to be several blocks away from our evening destination and found a good walk is in most peoples best interest. The executive hotel vintage park is very close to Yale town and there's plenty to do on that side of town. Tons of good restaurants and watering holes, grocery and retail shopping. Several blocks will get you to the heart of Vancouver shopping but we found this corner of downtown Vancouver to be a pleasant surprise. The rooms were clean, quiet and comfortable. Looking forward to our next visit.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 20, 2013

What a hidden little gem. Booked this hotel through travel zoo and got an amazing deal. Very comfortable bed and the outdoor hot tub was nice. Breakfast was ok, mostly standard fare which we expected. All in all, we would definatly stay at the Vintage Park again and will recommend this hotel to friends and family.

Room Tip: Avoid room 810; the fitness room and treadmill are right above this room.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 20, 2013

Upon check-in, they charge your credit card $175 ahead of time and refund it at check-out for any "necessities" you encounter. If you don't have enough $ on your card or need to use it to purchase things before they are able to refund it, you are out of luck. Room was very small and oddly shaped but clean and that's what was important. Parking was hard to find, but we discovered it was under the building and you were able to come/go as you choose (I stayed in a hotel once that wasn't like this). Breakfast buffet was small with basic choices (eggs, sausage, bacon, hash browns, muffins, toast, cereal) but very good and just $9.99. One member of my party tried the apple juice and said it was the smoothest and best he's ever tasted. There is a double lock (but not a bar-type lock across the door) on the door which housekeeping easily can bypass as I found out at 8:30 am when they walked in unannounced (and the do not disturb was on the door and we hadn't even checked out yet). I was so shocked I could only stare at the maid and say "Um.........." before she just turned around and left with her vacuum.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank TheodensQueen

It is always a pleasure to receive comments from our guests as it allows us to get better and improve the hotel. I begin by apologizing for the intrusion by housekeeping as there is simply no excuse for ignoring a do not disturb sign prior to checkout time. Your comment of the security bar of great assistance and we will install them on doors as quickly as possible to prevent such an intrusion in the future.

We were pleased that overall you enjoyed your stay and found the rooms to be clean, which we wholeheartedly agree is important. Thank you so much for letting us know what we did to make your stay enjoyable and where we can improve.

Helpful hint:
All hotels will process a pre-authorization on your credit card at check-in or take a cash deposit. One tip that we can offer travelers, especially those concerned about credit limits, is to leave the deposit for incidental on your debit card. It is refunded to the same card at checkout and is instantly returned to your bank. Returning a pre-authorization is decided by the policies of your credit card company as to when they release it and put it back to your account. Hotels do not have control over that, which can prove difficult, especially if you are visiting multiple hotels, or renting vehicles. These pre-authorizations rapidly use up your limits. We hope that may assist.