“Needs much better customer service”

Executive Hotel Vintage Park
Ranked #51 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
Reviewed November 25, 2012 via mobile

We stayed one night for a quick get away. We chose this hotel based on price, location and what they advertised as a special inclusive with room rate given the time of year being fairly slow.
First the positives...it was easy to find, 10 -15 min walk to downtown centre or 25 min walk to kitsilano. Safe location and rooms were standard but clean. Beds/pillows were comfortable and a very quiet location. Staff at buffet in the morning were very kind and customer oriented. Our room came with free parking/breakfast. Parking was easy and convenient but would be expensive if not included with special we found on internet. Same thing said for breakfast.
Now for the negatives. Only one staff at desk for check in and very slow service at that. We waited approximately 15 mins before we were helped and there was a line of folks behind us. Elevators are old and painfully slow. Much quicker to take the stairs. Customer service as a whole was completely lacking. They advertise a free "wine reception" on internet but we felt taken advantage of because it was literally one 3oz tasting of a wine. I asked for a little more as we were enjoying ourselves in the lounge and after 4 sips i was done (just wanted another tasting size) but was firmly told no way, that's all people get. Felt staff were rude on delivering message and i mean really? What's another 2oz serving going to do except make a happy customer? No hot water at all in the morning. Went to take a shower and it was freezing cold. We decided not to call and complain as we were checking out and on our way home anyway- but did mention it when we had to go to reception because we were not given our free breakfast voucher at check in and therefore told we'd have to pay for breakf without it. Front desk response was sorry water heater stopped working. No offer to upgrade our breakfast or anything to turn it into a positive situation. Free Breakfast was only an egg and toast although there was a small buffet already sitting there that cost $15.99. As i mentioned earlier, restaurant staff in the morning were apologetic, kind and turned that.potentially negative experience into a positive.
I want to emphasize that we are pretty easy going when it comes to service but felt there was a lot lacking and down right rude that actually spoiled our experience. Would i stay here again? Absolutely not as i felt deceived by their advertising and customer service is terrible.

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank cantravellor
ExecGMVan, Manager at Executive Hotel Vintage Park, responded to this reviewResponded November 29, 2012

Dear cantravellor,

I am pleased to read that you found our location to be quiet and convenient, and that our restaurant staff made you feel welcome. I also recognize that you feel that your expectations were ultimately not met while our guest this last weekend. We are grateful to have the opportunity to learn where we can improve our guest's experience.

Our wine tastings are intended to be a fun and relaxed complementary nightly event, and I will be pleased to review the amount of wine we offer each guest immediately to ensure that our guests are enjoying themselves.

Our hotel was very busy this weekend and if our staffing levels did not allow for prompt service at our front desk, I would like to apologize for that experience. Our front desk service is normally our strong suit so I am surprised to read your feedback.

Regarding a lack of hot water during your stay, one of our boiler tanks was unexpectedly offline recently which unfortunately has limited the amount of available hot water. We are performing a major repair to our entire boiler system within the next ten days which I expect will eliminate any such challenges in the future.

I have not received feedback from guests before today relating to our elevators, so I wonder if their "slow" operation might have been simply due to higher than usual volumes? I can appreciate that having to wait to access the elevator would have been frustrating.

On behalf of our entire team I would like to apologize for not having met the standard of service you would expect from an Executive Hotel, and I do thank you for the opportunity to learn from our mis-steps. Our service is normally what sets us apart from our competitors so we will be re-visiting our standards this week to ensure we are taking the very best care of guests in the future.

There are newer reviews for Executive Hotel Vintage Park

Reviewed November 25, 2012

Stayed with the family (spouse, two kids) in a standard double room. The room was clean and well-appointed, but would be a little cozy for the four of us had we spent more time in it. The service was excellent, especially the restaurant staff. The evening wine reception isn't worth moving heaven and earth to attend, but if you are there, by all means, take advantage: there were two wines to enjoy along with a light appetizer. Our stay included an "American" breakfast, but the staff let us go through the tasty breakfast buffet instead. A nice room, a couple glasses of wine and four full breakfasts for a total of $130 -- I'm happy with the value we received.

The location is an easy walk to Yaletown and the water taxi to Granville Island.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 25, 2012

We had stayed at an Executive Inn at Squamish in the past and absolutely loved it. This is the same chain but nothing like it.

The signature hotel room we had was small! Our room was named “Dirty Laundry” what kind of a name is that? Furniture was too large for the room which made it very crowded. Bed was hard but then again the bed at Squamish was intolerably hard, too. TV was a 26” and just seems too small nowadays. Our view was of the Burrard Street bridge and since we were only 6 floors up so couldn’t see past any of the other buildings. Noisy, downtown hotel but close walking distance to shops, restaurants, theatres & comedy clubs.

There was a large Jacuzzi tub as advertised. There was an exercise room and small hot tub but it was full when we went to check it out. The towels were small and we only had one small bath towel and one small handtowel (each) left nothing for me to dry my hair with. Air conditioning / heater was noisy so I shut it off so we could sleep at night.

The best thing about the signature room is you don’t have to pay an extra $35 for parking !

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 21, 2012

My wife and I were looking forward to two nights away from our 8-month-old and were quite impressed with online customer service experience in booking our room.
Unfortunately, we arrived at the property with high expectations and they didn't deliver.
Karol, a young man at the front desk when we checked in Friday, Nov. 16, was assisting another guest when we arrived and it was probably five minutes before he even acknowledged us. After dropping our bags off in the room, we went to the manager's wine reception, but were disappointed to find a single bottle. Our past experiences have included multiple bottles to choose from, but not here.
Saturday, Nov. 17 we used the hot tub and a departing party told us that someone at the front desk told them that more towels were on their way up. We were there for 15 minutes and never saw anyone.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Drew T

Dear Drew_T,

Thank you for your feedback, we always appreciate comments that may help us improve our services. I am pleased to know that you had a good experience booking your room online, however it is disappointing to read that your experience while our guest did not meet your expectations in some areas.

Your comments have been passed on to our Front Desk Duty Manager and our Housekeeping Manager, who will both ensure that our team members are reminded of the high service standards we expect from all of our employees. We will certainly will do our best to ensure that your experience will not be repeated for future guests of the hotel. Based on your feedback we have started featuring two varieties of wine during our evening wine tastings.

Reviewed November 14, 2012

This hotel is close to many of Vancouver's attractions although it's a bit of a hike from the Canada Line from the airport - uphill all the way too. We didn't use the room much, just a place to sleep. But the beds were very comfortable and the linens clean and fresh. I didn't try the TV or use any of the guest services other than internet which worked fine. However having a shower was a problem. I waited at least 15 minutes to have any hot water and even then it wasn't really hot. The wait was inconvenient but worse is the waste. How many gallons of water flowed down the drain, lost forever. Multiply that waste times the other rooms in the hotel and I think it's completely unacceptable. We all should be aware of water usage. Hotels who don't remedy this kind of problem should be fined. But then they'd pass it along to their guests and still not fix the problem. I won't stay here again - despite my good sleep - until the matter is fixed.

Room Tip: Our room overlooked a busy bridge and was up against the onramp. While I wasn't aware of traffi...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 11, 2012

I stayed here in the summer and it certainly wasn't up to the 4 star rating. When we booked, we upgraded to a room with a jacuzzi bath, on arrival to the hotel, we went to the room, which stank of smoke, the toilet was broken and constantly flushing. the jaxuzzi bath didn't look up to much. We were moved to a different room, without the jacuzzi and given breakfast vouchers as compensation. The breakfast (buffet) was ok but the attitude from the staff was terrible, we were really looked down upon for dining with vouchers. The room itself was noisy, there were about 24 small holes drilled through the window frame which let in air and noise. Although I complained several times about these holes, the management did not know what they were for and nothing was done to fix them. Wish I'd spent a few extra dollars and gone to a decent hotel up the road.

Room Tip: Hilton is close and much better
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AllanPM
Reviewed November 9, 2012

Second stay in this hotel, the location is beside the Granville Bridge and I stayed on the 6th floor and had a very nice view. Sit on the sofa beside the Window and enjoyed a cup of coffee and looked at the cars and people pass by, it was really relaxing. The room is large and the beds are very comfortable. And the bathroom is clean. The check in and out were pretty efficient, the front staff were very helpful such as providing directions. I requested an early check in and the staff made the accommodation for me. I always have a good experience with that.

Room Tip: I have traveled all over the world and stayed in lots of different hotels. It is safe to say as long...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business