“This place is fine if all you need is a bed for the night.”

City Centre Motor Hotel
Ranked #85 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
Vancouver, Canada
“This place is fine if all you need is a bed for the night.”
Reviewed October 4, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here while visiting Vancouver. It was fast, easy, clean enough and reasonably priced. I'd stay here again if I had to. It's not far from the city center. The area is pretty busy as its located off of a major street.

• Stayed September 2013
2 Thank AdrianTav

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed July 29, 2013

First and foremost it's a cheap motel in a decent area of Vancouver fairly close to the downtown core and less than a 5 min walk from Science World. For less than $100 a night you aren't going to get much better. My husband and I and another couple rented this place for one night as EVERY other hotel in Vancouver was booked. We went in with low expectations praying that it was clean and free of bed bugs. It was clean and we did not have any problems with bugs of any sort. It did have an odd smell but it wasn't a "dirty" smell...just an ethnic one. Nothing unbearable and we got used to it once we were in the room for a little while.
In short this motel is perfectly fine if you want a decent location and need somewhere cheap to crash for the night. I would not recommend it if you are planning on spending time in your room or need it more than one or two nights.
As far as some of the really bad reviews go you have to wonder what they were expecting. If they were expecting a 5 star hotel for less than $100 a night in Vancouver then they were clearly unprepared.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank honeymooners096
Busby
Reviewed July 17, 2013

The room sharing our access/door way had people up and down, up and down the stairs all night. Then at 0500h, when I was in our washroom, I heard BANG BANG BANG. The door banging happened again, and then there was yelling
Police: THIS IS THE POLICE, OPEN UP
Hotel room occupants: NO! You don't have the right to do this! We're not doing anything! No!
Police: YES WE DO. Open the door. Management called us, this is private property
Occupants: NO! We're not opening it
Police: OPEN IT OR WE'RE BREAKING THE DOOR DOWN.

We spent the next 2+ hours listening to a police raid take place, including the occupants being pulled out and individually hand cuffed, and the police running up and down the stairs running each person's information. At one point I stuck my head out and a very friendly police woman asked if I'd heard anything. I explained about the people up and down the stairs all night and their door slamming repeatedly, and she asked about fights in the parking lot.

At least one of the occupants was taken away by police on an outstanding warrant. He didn't go quietly.

When I expressed my displeasure to the hotel staff about being woken up, not being warned that a police raid was going to happen in my shared access area, not getting a discount or something for having my stay disturbed, the young man just said "oh" and rang through my credit card at full price.

The rooms were fairly clean, small, the carpet had tears, the bathroom was small but clean ish. Not commercial, shared space clean though. I would not stay here again. In the words of a friend, after the police raid we'd consider this a hook-tel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank Elisabeth O

Travelers are raving about these Vancouver hotels

Nanaimo, BC, Canada
Reviewed June 2, 2013

I booked this motel because of the Trip Advisor and Google+ reviews. I have to wonder if some of the positive reviews were planted (Many of the positive reviews are by people with only one review).

Front desk staff were friendly on check in and check out - but the rooms and the motel's control of what happens in their parking lot were dismal.

Regarding the rooms - my room smelled terrible. Somewhere between mold, dust, and some kind of chemical. I should have asked to change rooms - but I was in a hurry to go pick up somebody at the airport.

The room appeared clean but I was afraid to look to carefully. All the furniture was marked up and probably relics of the 70's. The carpet looked like it was last cleaned in that decade as well. The bathrooms are small but adequate - mine having some new lino on the floor. However, you get something the size of a hand towel instead of a bath towel - and there is no shampoo. The walls were pretty beat up in the room as well.

The smell in the room affected my allergies - and it was hard to sleep - and I regret not changing hotels after arriving.

Now about the activities.

On the first night (a Friday) we witnessed a prostitute yelling at some guy in the parking lot at about 9pm when we got back to the hotel. Then another prostitute arguing with a taxi driver about 20 minutes later. Lots of sketchy people hanging around the hotel. At 12 am some guy was on his cell phone outside my door making very loud calls on his phone - the first to his dealer looking for him to come down to sell him some coke, and the second to some woman who we was trying to convince to come down to "party". This went on for over an hour.

On the second night there I witnessed another prostitute being dropped off by taxi (who looked like she was zonked out on drugs) and going into one of the rooms next to mine, more sketchy people driving into the parking lot or hanging out in the parking lot. Lot's a yelling and "Whooooo" coming from somewhere (neighbouring rooms, parking lot?) until about 2:30 in the morning. Some guy in a car in the parking lot was also blasting club music with a massive low end bass for about 15 minutes around midnight.

While the price was around $75, I should have just paid more for a room at a different hotel.

Room Tip: Go to a different motel.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
5 Thank wessmith68
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed June 2, 2013

I guess you shouldn't expect too much for $88 in Vancouver - but this motel is really run down. My wife and I stayed there a few weekends ago. The room smelled musty - when we tried to change rooms the hotel front desk said that they were fully booked. We had to stay 2 nights as everything else booked in town for long weekend.

Between 8pm and 3 am - all sorts of shenanigans happening on the property. People yelling and running up and down stairs, people hanging out in front of rooms, prostitutes coming and going (from taxis), rowdy drunks everywhere.

Beds were ok but I was afraid to look at them too closely. Everything very old in room (30 years +). We were afraid to walk barefoot on floor (carpet also 30+ years old and looks disgusting). Drywall split along seems on walls and on ceiling. Last painted about 30 years ago. Patched holes in walls.

Bathroom's towels were the size of hand towels. No shampoo in room.

With a location like this, it's too bad the owners don't see the potential and upgrade the rooms and charge an extra $20 or $30 to get rid of the riff raff around the hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Gumpo G
Bagsvaerd
Reviewed May 25, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the City Centre Motor Hotel for 5 nights. We had a twin double bed room. There was very little space around the beds. Poorly furnished. Good Bathroom. No breakfast facilities except coffe in the lobby in the morning. WiFi OK. Free parking. Clean. Good connection to the town.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Bagsvaerd
Dallas, TX
Reviewed May 14, 2013

That is not a criticism however. If you need a very convenient, very clean, perfectly nice motel that has a very good location and very close to public transportation then this is it. If you do not need all of the bells and whistles of a modern motel, which for me means a hd tv and swipe card instead of an actual key then there is nothing wrong with this place. At $80 a night walking up with free parking this is a great deal.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family