Having recently spent a combined 6 nights at the hotel one is left with two lasting impressions. The first is of a hotel that is showing its age and the second of a very helpful and friendly set of staff. Unfortunately for the hotel the efforts of the latter cannot wholly compensate for the former.
There is also a feeling that the hotel may be a little short of cash (??) as the interiors and rooms are in need of refurbishment and the standard rooms are still not equipped with any form of in room safe leaving you to need to deposit any valuables in the safety deposit boxes behind the reception (for which woe betide you lose the key as the replacement will set you back $200!)
The feeling of the hotel working with less than optimal staffing is also suggested by the fact that on two separate arrivals and departures we only spied a member of the bell desk on one occasion. The plus side is that you save the tips but the downside is lugging your bags what can be a considerable distance to the room.
So what stands out from the trip is
1) A good looking facade to the hotel and some character within. Decent sized rooms but very rudimentary/small bathrooms.
2) Good downtown location (especially for shoppers)
3) Friendly and efficient staff
4) A very average breakfast (there are cheaper and better cafes/restaurants nearby)
5) Expensive internet
The overall experience was not a bad one but neither was it anything better than average and so unless doing better than their 'best rate' it is not a good value proposition as it sits uncomfortably between the experience of higher class 5 star hotels (which would cost more) and the likely decently cheaper 3 or 4 star hotels nearby which would provide the same in room experience.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Fairmont Hotel Vancouver is centrally located, close to Robson street shopping and many cultural offerings. The lobby features designer shops, including the flagship Louis Vuitton boutique, Gucci, Omega, and St. John. The hotel has a state-of-the-art health club, indoor pool and Absolute Spa. Vancouver's landmark hotel, the castle in the heart of the city is rich in history, vibrant and cosmopolitan. Fairmont Hotel Vancouver will continue its guest room renovation project. Floors under renovation will be closed with no guest access and construction is limited to 09:30am to 5:30pm, minimizing any impact to guests staying with us. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Expedia, Priceline, Booking.com, Orbitz, Fairmont Hotels, Hotels.com, Hotwire, getaroom.com, HotelsforEveryone, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your Fairmont Hotel Vancouver reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Fairmont Vancouver
- Vancouver Fairmont