“Very nice experience.”

Fairmont Hotel Vancouver
Ranked #31 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
Reviewed August 26, 2006

We quite enjoyed the Hotel Vancouver and it was refreshingly different than the usual Vancouver hotel experience. The hotel is not brand spanking new but that's part of the charm. The corridors are very, very spacious, the rooms while old fashioned are roomy, clean and have character (lots of crown moldings etc.). While one of the oldest hotels in town, the rooms are actually larger and more comfy than the Bayshore and the Vancouver Four Seasons which I don't recommend BTW. The experience is warmer than the Pan Pacific and Sunday Brunch at Griffin's was superb. As with most Fairmont properties, it probably would suit "old money" types more than "new money" types in terms of taste. I would stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
7  Thank Jason9613
Write a ReviewReviews (3,426)

Reviewed August 25, 2006

We stayed at the Fairmont Hotel Vancouver for 4 nights before embarking on an Alaskan cruise. It is about 6 blocks from the cruise ship dock. We decided to stay there instead of the Fairmont Waterfront because of all the construction in the immediate area of the dock. We made the right choice. It is a beautiful historic hotel in the Fairmont tradition. We were warmly welcomed and our room was ready upon arrival. The room itself was a bit small but very clean and comfortable, most important to us. The reason I selected the Fairmont was in order to utilize the services of their concierge desk. Their services were extraordinary. They made reservations for us at Cloud 9, a revolving restaurant in order to view the fireworks on our first night. They arranged an entire day for us in Victoria, from rental car, to ferry reservations, to sight- seeing suggestinons. They gave us suggestions and directions to hiking locations. Staying at the Fairmont was like having my own personal travel agent for Vancouver. This service is what made my Fairmont experience worth it.

7  Thank 0106
Reviewed August 7, 2006

We stayed here for two nights August 4 weekend in a regular double Fairmont room. I can't say enough about the location of this property. It is right in the middle of everything, just steps away from the shopping and excitement of Robson street and within walking to distance to English Bay and Canada Place. Perfect for sightseeing!

The hotel itself is beautiful and historic and the staff are more than accommodating. The only negative thing I would have to comment on is the bathrooom in our room. It was very dated and needed major updating (wallpaper peeling, tub needs refinishing). The shower pressure was also low and the water wasnt very hot.

Other than that I would recommend this property to anyone. Worth the money and as I say, the location cannot be beat!

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled with family
7  Thank tamsha
Reviewed August 6, 2006

First, it is a great location. Within walking distance to a lot of interesting attractions. The hotel itself is very nice. Rooms are a bit dated, but a good size.

NOW, after traveling with two small kids, we arrive in the evening. Everything seemed fine. My baby woke up around 2am. And I discover a half dozen specks moving around the pillows. Flip on the light and BED BUGS!!!! It was the most disgusting feeling I've ever experienced. My husband and I grabbed the kids and the hotel manager whisked us off to another room. Needless to say, we didn't sleep at all.

We talked to the day manager and at first he was geared up to fight us about it -- claiming he couldn't do anything until an investigation was held. We held our ground and we were compensated with a free night, upgrade to the Gold Level and other perks. It took a few nights to get over the shock -- but we still checked the linens every night.

I understand many nice hotels are dealing with this problem -- just be aware when you travel in general.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
23  Thank wiltravel
Reviewed August 6, 2006

Once a princess of the CP fleet, this hotel is now a mediocre hotel in the Fairmont stable. Not only is the hotel tired but the staff also seemed tired, bored and disinterested. If you get a deal that competes with mid range hotels in Vancouver this is a safe bet but if you are paying for and expecting luxury accomodation there are far better choices.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled as a couple
10  Thank ScottC
Reviewed April 4, 2006

I stayed at the Fairmont to attend a conference here. The check-in was super quick & easy as I have a President’s Club membership, which you can get for free online. All the staff I encountered were professional.

I had a room on the 13th floor, which was nice. I had a SW view looking out onto Robson St and the gargoyles on the corners of the hotel. The room was quiet. The bed & chairs were very comfortable, and the bathroom was very roomy for a hotel. They had nice white bathrobes available as well. Everything was immaculate; just what you would expect for the price you’re paying.

The free tea & coffee in the room was good, however the mini-bar offerings were horribly expensive.

I had dinner & breakfast at the restaurant in the lobby, Griffins, and the prices were a little pricey. The food, however, was excellent. Included in the price of a dinner entrée is a wonderful desert buffet – nice touch.

The location is right in the middle of downtown Vancouver, just off Robson St. Very busy and very close to shopping. Good for a business traveler, but not exactly a romantic setting.

This Fairmont hotel is quite nice, but not as special or spectacular as other Fairmont properties I’ve visited such as Jasper, Banff or Quebec City.

• Stayed: March 2006, traveled on business
16  Thank EdmontonMarc
A TripAdvisor Member
brooklyn, ny
Reviewed March 7, 2006

signed up for president's club online, which may have only gotten me a free newspaper. also got the hotel thru my corporate rate of $172cad a night. when we checked in, i self-parked my car at a rate of 27 cad per day. when i checked in, i went to the regular line and they told me iw as a president's club, so my info packet was ready already. also they told me that they would give me a parking pass or else 'parking would be very expensive'

we went up to our room and the keys didn't work.i had to run back downstairs. they gave us a room at the end of the hotel, on the 12th floor. it was probably meant for business persons, as there was a desk for doing work.

room was okay, big bed, nice old-style bathroom. great view down howe st, i think, towards the waterfront and you could see the bay. soon after, we could smell the distinct aroma of some prime BC bud. apparently the ppl in the room next door must have been smoking a fatty. we could also hear their tv thru our shared door (if it was a combined suite). we also smelled the marijuana the next day. it didn't bother me.

used the gym the next day. small but ok for what it was. i liked the free coffee they gave away in the gym.

concierge helped us out by printing out our boarding passes the morning we left, but as we took our bags outside, none of the bellhops offered to help with our bags.

parking ended being 27cad a day. i thought it may have been included or cheaper than the posted rate, but that was not the case.

hotel is convenient to robson st shopping.

Stayed: March 2006