“Nice Place”

Fairmont Hotel Vancouver
Ranked #32 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
Reviewed April 4, 2006

I stayed at the Fairmont to attend a conference here. The check-in was super quick & easy as I have a President’s Club membership, which you can get for free online. All the staff I encountered were professional.

I had a room on the 13th floor, which was nice. I had a SW view looking out onto Robson St and the gargoyles on the corners of the hotel. The room was quiet. The bed & chairs were very comfortable, and the bathroom was very roomy for a hotel. They had nice white bathrobes available as well. Everything was immaculate; just what you would expect for the price you’re paying.

The free tea & coffee in the room was good, however the mini-bar offerings were horribly expensive.

I had dinner & breakfast at the restaurant in the lobby, Griffins, and the prices were a little pricey. The food, however, was excellent. Included in the price of a dinner entrée is a wonderful desert buffet – nice touch.

The location is right in the middle of downtown Vancouver, just off Robson St. Very busy and very close to shopping. Good for a business traveler, but not exactly a romantic setting.

This Fairmont hotel is quite nice, but not as special or spectacular as other Fairmont properties I’ve visited such as Jasper, Banff or Quebec City.

• Stayed: March 2006, traveled on business
16  Thank EdmontonMarc

A TripAdvisor Member
brooklyn, ny
Reviewed March 7, 2006

signed up for president's club online, which may have only gotten me a free newspaper. also got the hotel thru my corporate rate of $172cad a night. when we checked in, i self-parked my car at a rate of 27 cad per day. when i checked in, i went to the regular line and they told me iw as a president's club, so my info packet was ready already. also they told me that they would give me a parking pass or else 'parking would be very expensive'

we went up to our room and the keys didn't work.i had to run back downstairs. they gave us a room at the end of the hotel, on the 12th floor. it was probably meant for business persons, as there was a desk for doing work.

room was okay, big bed, nice old-style bathroom. great view down howe st, i think, towards the waterfront and you could see the bay. soon after, we could smell the distinct aroma of some prime BC bud. apparently the ppl in the room next door must have been smoking a fatty. we could also hear their tv thru our shared door (if it was a combined suite). we also smelled the marijuana the next day. it didn't bother me.

used the gym the next day. small but ok for what it was. i liked the free coffee they gave away in the gym.

concierge helped us out by printing out our boarding passes the morning we left, but as we took our bags outside, none of the bellhops offered to help with our bags.

parking ended being 27cad a day. i thought it may have been included or cheaper than the posted rate, but that was not the case.

hotel is convenient to robson st shopping.

Stayed: March 2006
13  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 27, 2006

Just returned from a long weekend in Vancouver BC. We have stayed many times on the Fairmont Hotel Vancouver and really love it! The building is historic,and in beautiful condition. Join the Presidents Club(free) on the web page and get extra information on packages and deals. Our room was a king suite at $120.00 CA about $100.00 US including lavish buffet breakfast! Wonderful service and nice spa/ pool area.

10  Thank rose in woods
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 26, 2006

Our standard room was lovely. It was furnished nicely. It was not small and the bathroom was above average. The bed and linens were especially comfortable. We stayed on the seventh floor and it was quiet.
Check in was efficient and accomodating. Staff was professional and helpful.
The fitness center was cheerful and busy in the morning.
My only complaint is that the lobby bar served inferior mixed drinks. The $10 martinis were weak and just barely cold.

• Stayed: February 2006
11  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 16, 2006

My second stay this trip in a Vancouver hotel (the other being the Westin Bayshore), I was disappointed with this hotel.

First, checking-in took really long, about 5-6 parties waiting with only two attendants. No convention or any special events going on, that's not a good first impression. The Gold Floor, which is where you want to stay, was closed for refurbishment.

I got a room on the 3rd floor with "city views". Ok, I wasn't expecting anything special, not being on the waterfront, but all I got was a view on the other wing of the hotel.

The room in itself was ok, but the bathroom was a terrible experience. A real stink hole and it seemed like it was original to the construction of the hotel.

Lounges and dining room are very nice vintage areas. Breakfast was nice but staff invisible.

On the whole, it was just OK, a bit disappointing for a Canadian Chateau hotel...

• Stayed: February 2006
16  Thank orcas33
Reviewed February 11, 2006

Great Hotel and an Excellent location. Super Friendly staff.
Rooms are slightly small and lack decor for the age of this hotel.
We were hoping for less modern furnishings and more "Old world charm"

Ordered from room service, Excellent Food!

Thanks.

• Stayed: January 2006
8  Thank innharmony
Reviewed February 5, 2006

My fiancee and I stayed here for three nights as part of our Canada vacation. This was the beginning of our holiday and our first stay at a Fairmont hotel.

Very plush entrance lobby. We arrived early and were told our room was not yet ready. Reception were very friendly and stored our luggage for us while we strolled down to the harbour front to chill out after the long flight from London. When we came back the room was ready. Baggage was delivered to our room by a very jovial bell hop who gave us a rundown on where everything was and how it worked.

The reception staff were extremely helpful when we had to ring up our tour provider who had made a mistake on the booking of our subsequent onward Rocky Mountaineer train journey. The concierge was also very helpful in booking a couple of trips. We enjoyed a day at Grouse Mountain/Capilano suspension bridge, and a city tour.

The whole hotel has a very traditional feel to it and this is reflected in the furnishings and decor. It is ideally located for exploring Vancouver.

We were given a very big room on the seventh floor. Big bathroom with nice bathrobes and toiletries that were renewed each day. The decor was a bit drab. Huge, comfortable bed.

Had a nice meal in the restaurant on our first evening - we were very tired and didn't want to eat out. Breakfast was okay with a good choice on offer. We ate out for the rest of the time - there are several nice restaurants/cafes right nearby, so not far to walk for a meal out.

The hotel provided a perfect start to our holiday and we will forever have fond memories of Vancouver and the Fairmont Hotel.

• Stayed: August 2005