“clean, well run and convenient location”

Fairmont Hotel Vancouver
Ranked #32 of 89 Hotels in Vancouver
Phoenix, Arizona
“clean, well run and convenient location”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We spent a pre-cruise night at this hotel It is conveniently located in the heart of downtown Vancouver. The room was clean, bedding was comfortable, and the bathroom was well laid out and had plenty of counter space.

Staff seemed attentive and well trained.

1 Thank AZOR_12
HotelVan, General Manager at Fairmont Hotel Vancouver, responded to this review, October 4, 2013
Dear AZOR_12,
Thank you for sharing your comments from your recent stay here at Vancouver’s Castle in the heart of the City! I am delighted that we had the opportunity to look after you while you were in Vancouver and hope to see you back here again in the very near future.

Director of Operations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (567)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed September 3, 2013

I stayed in three fairmonts on my recent three week trip. This ranks two only because the fairmont in Calgary was untouchable in room quality.

The rooms are a bit older than the rooms at the waterfront fairmont, but spacious, clean, well appointed and, most importantly, quiet.

The location is fantastic, withing walking distance of everything that downtown Vancouver has to offer.

The hotel staff was incredibly friendly. I'm also a sucker for a hotel with two fantastic dogs on staff.

Be sure you look for good rates and packages on the fairmont site for the hotel. We got a great package that included valet parking. In the past, in Vancouver, we've stayed at the waterfront using the Amex FH&R rates to get more value as well....

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Norwalk, Connecticut
Reviewed August 31, 2013

We had a great 5 nights stay at the hotel prior to an Alaskan cruise. The hotel was beautiful with an elegant lobby area. The staff was good & the concierge service was excellent. This was our first trip to the city & they were quite helpful. We were in in two different rooms during our stay & they were spacious, clean, & comfortable for a family of 4. The hotel is in a good central location, walking distance to the Granville Island ferry, Gas Town, China Town, Canada Place & Stanley Park. We used the pool on three occasions (not heated).

Waterlooville, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 31, 2013

I have stayed a few Fairmont Hotels over the years and have always found the hotels to be very impressive, luxurious and in good locations and the Fairmont Vancouver did not disappointed me. We stayed for 4 nights. The hotel looks amazing from outside living up to its name 'Castle in the Sky' On entering the lobby we were impressed with the elegant furnishings and helpful staff.
Our room was very comfortable and spacious. The hotel is right in the centre of downtown Vancouver and easy walking distance to all major attractions. We never ate in the hotel as it was too expensive (too be expected in a hotel of this calibre)
We had a lovely time in Vancouver and would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Yorkshire Dales National Park, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 30, 2013

We spent 4 nights here at the start of our holiday,
The hotel promised much by reputation, but in my view failed to deliver.
Yes the setting was fab, the rooms were good, but I expected a bit more for the price.
We did a bed and breakfast package which certainly proved value for money. The breakfasts and service were excellent.
We dined in the restaurant. Over priced, poor quality food and absolutely appalling service is an understatement. They managed to forget to cook my wife's meal altrogether. Sorry wasn't quite enough.
If you want an alcoholic drink and happen to have children under 19, forget it. There are no facilities to enable this outside of the abovementioned restaurant.
The concierge was so knowledgeable and helpful, she exelled in her enthusiasm and professionalism.
A good hotel overall, but I've stayed in better and paid less.
Would I stay in this hotel again ?
If there were no other options, yes.

Dear PapaLazarou2013,
My thanks to you for taking the time to share your feedback from your recent stay in Vancouver. I am distressed to hear that your dining experience was far from satisfactory and would very much appreciate the opportunity to discuss further.
My email address is sunny.joseph@fairmont.com. I hope to have the opportunity to connect with you.

Swindon
Reviewed August 29, 2013

Booked as a stopover by a tour company and arrived with a busload of others at 10.30pm. The usual delays checking in with a big group meant that we didn't get to our room until 11pm. We were very tired and had a 6am call for the next day so just wanted to go to bed. The hotel had been advised by our tour operator that we were later than planned and had received the reply that all the bellboys and other staff were waiting for us. When we arrived in our room we were delighted to find a very comfortable and well furnished room and a lovely small cake to celebrate our anniversary, requested as a surprise by our tour company. Unfortunately the cake was not something we wanted at that time of night, but we couldn't put it in the fridge as we had been warned at the desk that if we moved or touched anything in the bar fridge, even just slightly, we would be charged for it.
However that was only the start of our problems. Despite the long check in process, our luggage was not in our room, so I rang down to ask if there was a problem. I was assured it was on its way. So I decided to check my emails while waiting, but the wifi didn't work. I rang down to ask about it and was put through to a help desk which eventually sorted the problem. Then we noticed that alongside the cake there was another cake and a congratulatory message to someone else, so I rang the desk again, also asking again about the luggage. There was some confusion about the extra cake and eventually was asked to leave the second cake, but to put the letter outside our room. (The luggage was still on the way). Then I thought perhaps the hotel might put our cake in the fridge overnight and rang down again. They said they would send up a bellboy to collect it and he arrived very quickly and tried to give me back the letter I had put outside the room (and the luggage was still on the way!)
It took almost an hour from our arrival at the hotel to our luggage being delivered to the room. The next day there was no apology for our problems, and they tried to charge me for the cake. And I am a member of the loyalty programme, the Fairmont President's Club!
I have given them 3 stars because it was a comfortable room and perhaps we were unlucky with the particlar staff and our late arrival. And the cake was lovely!!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
HotelVan, General Manager at Fairmont Hotel Vancouver, responded to this review, August 30, 2013
Dear SueEThurtle,
Please accept my sincere thanks to you for taking the time to share your experiences at our “Castle in the City”. I must say I am disappointed to learn of your experiences at check-in and luggage delivery. I am following up with my team to review our processes for areas to improve and ensure this is addressed.

Constructive feedback such as yours is very much appreciated and allows us to highlight areas for improvement in the service that we offer.

Newcastle
Reviewed August 28, 2013

We have stayed in the Fairmont Palliser Calgary hotel before, and we usually book in to a Fairmont after our RV trips in Canada, just for a little bit of luxury. The Fairmont Vancouver is no exception, and is a truly beautiful hotel, the lobby is stunning, and worth a sly trip inside even if you're not staying.

The service we received was excellent throughout our stay, we were on the Family Affair package, which gave some great discounts in the restaurants on food and drink, so well worth it if you get the chance. We had two interconnecting rooms, both of which were very spacious and well laid out. Personally, I thought the décor was in keeping with the hotel, but if you like more modern boutique hotels, it may not be quite to your taste, each to their own I suppose.

The beds were great, large and comfortable, even though the mattress seemed a little soft at first I didn't suffer any back ache. Just a few little gripes about the room though, firstly the Wi-Fi isn't free, and not only that it was about 14 Canadian dollars per night per device, a little steep to say the least. We've stayed in other good quality hotels in Canada where there's been free Wi-Fi, and I don't mind a nominal charge, but this was a little excessive. Also be careful what you touch as it's all on pressure pads. My wife had a look at the Fairmont bear and we we're charged for it, along with a bottle of scotch which moved in the mini bar when we opened it! To be fair, the checkout staff refunded the costs immediately, but again it seems a little over the top.

The hotel has two restaurants, the more informal and relaxed being the lounge bar. However, if you've got 18 year olds with you beware, due to the BC licencing laws, which are set at 19 as the legal drinking age, you can't eat in this area with 18 year olds with you, and have to eat in the main restaurant. It's a bit of a shame, but all of BC is the same, difficult when you've just come from Alberta where the legal drinking age is 18!

As for location the hotel is right in the heart of Vancouver, within easy walking distance of Canada Square and Gastown. From Canada Square you can get the hop on/off bus services, which are well worth the cost if you want to travel around the city. Vancouver is one of my favourite cities in the world, and there is so much to do that even a week may not be enough. In the city there is Stanley Park, the Aquarium, the Vancouver lookout, the Steam clock in Gastown, and just a little further Grouse Mountain and the Capilano suspension bridge, not to mention harbour cruises and stacks of great restaurants and bars. My favourite location though is Granville Island, really laid back and an excellent market, great on a Sunday afternoon, with a visit to the brewery to finish off.

So, the Fairmont is great for old world charm and service, and is a true luxury experience in a stunning building, just a little niggle about some of the pricing policies, especially the Wi-Fi.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family