“Very nice Classic historic hotel”

Fairmont Hotel Vancouver
Ranked #32 of 89 Hotels in Vancouver
Kansas City
“Very nice Classic historic hotel”
Reviewed June 15, 2013

1. This hotel is a great location. Close to the our convention, a lot of great restaurants and shopping and fun.
2. The service is excellent. One time they did not clean our room in time. They made up for by doing a very nice turn down service that night.
3. I was surprised how well they treated kids. I thought it would be a business hotel but had a great little things like milk and cookies, nice buffet for kids and other things.
4. If you like vintage things this is the place to be. We got the suite and it was wonderful.
5. The best thing that there are these dogs in the lobby. You can pet them, they are good with kids. You can even take them for a walk but didnt because I had a three year old.
6. The afternoon tea was a memorable experience

Some things to improve.
1. This is a business hotel but the business center was downstairs and not owned by fairmount. They should have some type of kiosk to print out boarding passes.
2. The internet is really slow. The nice thing though if you are president club it is free. I will touch base with the manager.
3. Some of the furniture and carpet is a little worn. With the attention to detail that I have seen I was a little surprised by this.

Make sure if you are with your spouse to do the afternoon tea. You will be treated like a prince and princess.

Room Tip: Try to get a suite. It is worth the cost
2 Thank bhattara

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (567)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Carlisle, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 15, 2013

Me and my wife were on a trip of Canada we stayed in 6 hotels, 3 of these hotels were Fairmont's hotels. This hotel is by far the worst we have stayed at. upon arrival on 31st May in the room it looked nice the bathroom was small and tiny but the bath was flaky when my wife lifted up the bath matt and saw what was underneath it was flaky and dirty. I made a complaint at the reception and they already knew about the problem the receptionist said that she was fed up about this problem and that the management wouldn't do anything about it. Even thought I did not book the gold room I did expect a better bath than that very disappointed with his Fairmont hotel. I will be going back to Vancouver but from this experience I had I will definitely not go back to this hotel, If anyone else has booked this hotel beware of room 511

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank alan m
HotelVan, General Manager at Fairmont Hotel Vancouver, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
Dear alan m,
Please accept my thanks for taking the time to share your feedback from your recent visit to The Fairmont Hotel Vancouver. I am distressed to hear that you were left with a less than positive impression. I have reviewed your comments regarding the condition of your room with my operations team and apologise for the experience that you encountered. Your constructive response allows us to evaluate where opportunities to improve exist and we review this feedback regularly.

Kind regards,

Sunny Joseph
Director of Operations
Portland, OR
Reviewed June 14, 2013

I was in Vancouver for a conference and was fortunate that the host hotel was unavailable. My coworker booked us into the Fairmont Hotel Vancouver. We stayed on the 9th floor which has its own guest check in desk, lounge area complete with breakfast, tea and a happy hour available for the 9th floor guests. My room was decorated well, very clean and comfortable and had a separate small area with a make up table and mirror. We enjoyed breakfast on two mornings and the food choices were excellent with hot oatmeal, breads and pastries, fresh fruit, lox with cream cheese and a Jura espresso machine. The lounge area is very comfortable and there was a computer where we were able to print out our boarding passes. We ate at Griffins one evening (the beet salad was wonderful) and had a very good waiter and delicious food. The lobby area has several high end shops: Louis Vuitton, Omega, St. John and a gift shop and a very lively bar area.

Overall, I was impressed with the property and the amenities and would recommend its convenient downtown location and very friendly staff.

Room Tip: If possible, reserve a room on the 9th floor.
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed June 9, 2013

I hadn't stayed at the Fairmont Hotel Vancouver in a few years, always favouring other hotels in the city, but I recently returned for a one-night stay, before catching a flight home the next morning, simply because the Whistler shuttle conveniently picks-up and drops-off at this location. Upon arrival, I was a bit surprised to find two large dogs wandering around in the lobby, seemingly accompanied by no one. I later learned that these dogs actually belong to the hotel and have big stuffed dog beds and water bowls set up over by the bell desk. The dogs apparently just wander around all day and lay down on the cool tile floor for a rest, whenever and wherever they please. Not being a huge animal lover, I can't say that this appealed to me personally. A stuffed version of one of them was even available for purchase in my room, so it seems they are part of a marketing campaign. Otherwise, everything about this hotel is opulent. It is a heritage property that has been well-maintained over the years. Its public spaces are all ornate and quite beautiful, with lots of over-the-top decorative trim and dripping crystal chandeliers. The expansive lobby offers an open lounge area, full of club chairs and good drinks, as well as several exclusive boutiques selling their high-end wares (e.g., Louis Vuitton, Omega, and Gucci, amongst others). There are a whole bank of small elevators ready to whisk guests up to their rooms almost without delay. That said, the hotel is quite large and many of the rooms are located a good distance away from the central elevators. On this stay, I had a good-sized room that was situated in the farthest possible corner of the hotel. It offered a queen-sized bed, two armchairs in front of the windows, a TV, a desk area, and a folding table holding a coffee maker and a tray full of mini-bar snacks (and the aforementioned stuffed dog) for sale. The bathroom was a bit small and tight, with just a pedestal sink that didn't offer a lot of space for toiletries, but there was a huge walk-in closet right next to it, with hanging rods and shelving, as well as a long bench along one side. The décor was done in rich pastels and was really quite lovely, especially with lots of light shining in through the large windows. The check-in process was quick, even though I hadn't noticed that there is a counter specifically for President's Club members tucked just around the corner from the main desk. I didn't use the pool on this visit, since I was literally just there overnight, but I do remember it being quite nice, as it is built inside of a glass atrium. The central location of this hotel is great for walking around the downtown core, as it is right in the middle of lots of shopping and restaurants, and literally next door to the city's art gallery, which is surrounded by a nice green space. President's Club members get free Wi-Fi, which is a nice perk, as otherwise it can be quite pricey. Many of the rooms in this hotel are small by today's standards, as they have all been fitted with private bathrooms which weren't really the norm when the hotel was originally built. Sound-proofing in these older hotels is often lacking as well, so it was nice to be tucked away at the very end of the hallway where I really heard very little noise. The government rate was comparable to other hotels in the area but some of those other hotels offer more amenities that add to the comfort of a stay (e.g., kitchenettes, more spacious rooms, spa-like bathrooms). That said, I had a pleasant enough experience and I would definitely go back on another short trip, just to soak in the history that this hotel exudes and to enjoy its sheer beauty.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Banff National Park, Canada
Reviewed June 9, 2013

My partner and I are regular Fairmont guests. This hotel is by far the worst we have stayed at. Upon arrival the valet bellmen were excellent. We checked into the Fairmont Presidents Club, and were immediately told that the king size room we had booked and confirmed was unavailable. The gentleman at the desk was quite abrupt with us and then told us that we had to stay in a smoking room with 2 beds. This took us aback slightly as neither of us smoke and we wanted to share a bed. once we checked into the room, there was a terrible smell of smoke, the bed sheets were stained yellow and the room was dirty to the touch. On the plus side, the food at Griffins was lovely, although the service was a little slow, but this was made up for by our server, who was lovely. I seriously doubt we will be travelling to this property again.

Room Tip: Stay at another hotel!!
2 Thank RichC149
HotelVan, Front Office Manager at Fairmont Hotel Vancouver, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
Dear RichC149,
Please accept my thanks for taking the time to share your feedback from your recent visit to The Fairmont Hotel Vancouver. I am distressed to hear that you were left with a less than positive impression. I would like to apologise for the experience you encountered with your room, this is far from the level of service we strive to provide. If you would like to discuss your experiences in person, I would be very appreciative for the opportunity, my email address is vince.chow@fairmont.com.
My thanks to you once again for taking the time to share your feedback through which we are able to serve you better.

Kind regards,
Vince Chow
Director, Front Office Operations.
Halifax, Canada
Reviewed June 7, 2013

This was my second visit to the Hotel Vancouver and it was excellent. I arrived on an early flight and wasn't sure if I could get a room before the afternoon, but it was not an issue. Although the hotel is older it is in excellent condition and my room was very good. I love the location of the hotel. It's an easy walk to the water in several different directions and also an easy walk to Gastown with all of it's great restaurants/bars and good shopping. The neighbourhood around the hotel is fun and lively and feels safe. Robson Street is a short walk away, and if you've got the time, it's an easy walk up the street to Davie Street and then a beautiful walk down to English Harbour which is gorgeous. The Hotel Vancouver has a very good fitness facility and a lovely pool. Like last time the concierge staff were friendly and helpful - and they were also able to give me a lift to a restaurant one night with the hotel car. The views may be beautiful from some of the large waterfront hotels, but I prefer this location.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Issaquah, WA.
Reviewed June 7, 2013

We arrived by rail and you can take the Sky Train to within a block of this hotel. We feel the other two Fairmont Hotels in Vancouver hàve views and more to offer. Everything is close and you can walk to lots of tourist attractions. Stanley Park might be a bit far,
but Vancouver is an easy city to navigate.

Room Tip: No matter where your room is located, I think your view is probably the street. We ould hear the fo...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple