“Classic hotel in the centre of the city”

Fairmont Hotel Vancouver
Ranked #32 of 89 Hotels in Vancouver
Ottawa, Canada
“Classic hotel in the centre of the city”
Reviewed June 9, 2013

I hadn't stayed at the Fairmont Hotel Vancouver in a few years, always favouring other hotels in the city, but I recently returned for a one-night stay, before catching a flight home the next morning, simply because the Whistler shuttle conveniently picks-up and drops-off at this location. Upon arrival, I was a bit surprised to find two large dogs wandering around in the lobby, seemingly accompanied by no one. I later learned that these dogs actually belong to the hotel and have big stuffed dog beds and water bowls set up over by the bell desk. The dogs apparently just wander around all day and lay down on the cool tile floor for a rest, whenever and wherever they please. Not being a huge animal lover, I can't say that this appealed to me personally. A stuffed version of one of them was even available for purchase in my room, so it seems they are part of a marketing campaign. Otherwise, everything about this hotel is opulent. It is a heritage property that has been well-maintained over the years. Its public spaces are all ornate and quite beautiful, with lots of over-the-top decorative trim and dripping crystal chandeliers. The expansive lobby offers an open lounge area, full of club chairs and good drinks, as well as several exclusive boutiques selling their high-end wares (e.g., Louis Vuitton, Omega, and Gucci, amongst others). There are a whole bank of small elevators ready to whisk guests up to their rooms almost without delay. That said, the hotel is quite large and many of the rooms are located a good distance away from the central elevators. On this stay, I had a good-sized room that was situated in the farthest possible corner of the hotel. It offered a queen-sized bed, two armchairs in front of the windows, a TV, a desk area, and a folding table holding a coffee maker and a tray full of mini-bar snacks (and the aforementioned stuffed dog) for sale. The bathroom was a bit small and tight, with just a pedestal sink that didn't offer a lot of space for toiletries, but there was a huge walk-in closet right next to it, with hanging rods and shelving, as well as a long bench along one side. The décor was done in rich pastels and was really quite lovely, especially with lots of light shining in through the large windows. The check-in process was quick, even though I hadn't noticed that there is a counter specifically for President's Club members tucked just around the corner from the main desk. I didn't use the pool on this visit, since I was literally just there overnight, but I do remember it being quite nice, as it is built inside of a glass atrium. The central location of this hotel is great for walking around the downtown core, as it is right in the middle of lots of shopping and restaurants, and literally next door to the city's art gallery, which is surrounded by a nice green space. President's Club members get free Wi-Fi, which is a nice perk, as otherwise it can be quite pricey. Many of the rooms in this hotel are small by today's standards, as they have all been fitted with private bathrooms which weren't really the norm when the hotel was originally built. Sound-proofing in these older hotels is often lacking as well, so it was nice to be tucked away at the very end of the hallway where I really heard very little noise. The government rate was comparable to other hotels in the area but some of those other hotels offer more amenities that add to the comfort of a stay (e.g., kitchenettes, more spacious rooms, spa-like bathrooms). That said, I had a pleasant enough experience and I would definitely go back on another short trip, just to soak in the history that this hotel exudes and to enjoy its sheer beauty.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (567)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Banff National Park, Canada
Reviewed June 9, 2013

My partner and I are regular Fairmont guests. This hotel is by far the worst we have stayed at. Upon arrival the valet bellmen were excellent. We checked into the Fairmont Presidents Club, and were immediately told that the king size room we had booked and confirmed was unavailable. The gentleman at the desk was quite abrupt with us and then told us that we had to stay in a smoking room with 2 beds. This took us aback slightly as neither of us smoke and we wanted to share a bed. once we checked into the room, there was a terrible smell of smoke, the bed sheets were stained yellow and the room was dirty to the touch. On the plus side, the food at Griffins was lovely, although the service was a little slow, but this was made up for by our server, who was lovely. I seriously doubt we will be travelling to this property again.

Room Tip: Stay at another hotel!!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank RichC149
HotelVan, Front Office Manager at Fairmont Hotel Vancouver, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
Dear RichC149,
Please accept my thanks for taking the time to share your feedback from your recent visit to The Fairmont Hotel Vancouver. I am distressed to hear that you were left with a less than positive impression. I would like to apologise for the experience you encountered with your room, this is far from the level of service we strive to provide. If you would like to discuss your experiences in person, I would be very appreciative for the opportunity, my email address is vince.chow@fairmont.com.
My thanks to you once again for taking the time to share your feedback through which we are able to serve you better.

Kind regards,
Vince Chow
Director, Front Office Operations.
Halifax, Canada
Reviewed June 7, 2013

This was my second visit to the Hotel Vancouver and it was excellent. I arrived on an early flight and wasn't sure if I could get a room before the afternoon, but it was not an issue. Although the hotel is older it is in excellent condition and my room was very good. I love the location of the hotel. It's an easy walk to the water in several different directions and also an easy walk to Gastown with all of it's great restaurants/bars and good shopping. The neighbourhood around the hotel is fun and lively and feels safe. Robson Street is a short walk away, and if you've got the time, it's an easy walk up the street to Davie Street and then a beautiful walk down to English Harbour which is gorgeous. The Hotel Vancouver has a very good fitness facility and a lovely pool. Like last time the concierge staff were friendly and helpful - and they were also able to give me a lift to a restaurant one night with the hotel car. The views may be beautiful from some of the large waterfront hotels, but I prefer this location.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Issaquah, WA.
Reviewed June 7, 2013

We arrived by rail and you can take the Sky Train to within a block of this hotel. We feel the other two Fairmont Hotels in Vancouver hàve views and more to offer. Everything is close and you can walk to lots of tourist attractions. Stanley Park might be a bit far,
but Vancouver is an easy city to navigate.

Room Tip: No matter where your room is located, I think your view is probably the street. We ould hear the fo...
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 5, 2013

We stayed at the Fairmont on their gold floor for 5 days in May. It was one of the best hotel experiences we have ever had. This floor is like a boutique hotel where the service from the team led by the brilliant Darren was impeccable. Nothing was too much trouble from sightseeing expedition advice, eating recomendations which never disappointed. guidance on travel plans - above all a " can do " attitude that if there was a problem it was there to be solved. The room was delightful and the Club lounge where an excellent breakfast was served was a real " home from home". Added to the breakfast were some really tasty canapes which were provided " on the house " in the evening and were almost a meal in themselves. During the day there was always some delightful scones/cakes if you were still hungry. So that this review does not sound as if it was written by an executve of the hotel group I suppose I have to find a niggle. So the room fridge whih made a charge for any drink consmed in the room was a bit silly when there were free soft drinks in the Club lounge which could be taken away. But this is nothing and should not in any way diminish my appreciation for a value for money superb stay. If all the Fairmonts are as good we shall certainly be using the brand again. David and Carolyn Sumberg

Room Tip: Go for the Gold floor. Its well worth the extra
Sydney
Reviewed June 3, 2013

The hotel is centrally located in Vancouver downtown and especially close to Granville Street. We found the hotel did not meet our expectations especially in relation to front desk staff who were very matter of fact and somewhat unhelpful. Whilst it is reputed to be the best hotel in Vancouver - it needs to improve on customer relations.

Next time I would not stay there but look for the other hotels located nearby.

Room Tip: There are no fantastic views as the hotel is positioned in the middle of CBD. Staff say that the vi...
1 Thank SydneyTraveller_2008
HotelVan, General Manager at Fairmont Hotel Vancouver, responded to this review, June 5, 2013
Dear SydneyTraveller_2008,
I would like to extend my thanks to you for sharing your feedback. It is through constructive responses such as yours that we are better able to serve you in the future. I was distressed to hear you had a less than satisfactory visit to our hotel. I you would be willing, I would be very appreciative of the opportunity to discuss your stay in greater detail, my email address is sunny.joseph@fairmont.com.

I hope to have the opportunity to speak to you soon.

Kind regards,

Sunny Joseph
Director of Operations
Kelowna, Canada
Reviewed June 1, 2013

Stayed for two nights in a junior suite. Daughter had a great time as she was greeted with a backpack filled with crayons, Coloring pages, and a coupon for milk and cookies. She was able to walk one of their two canine mascots while there. Breakfast buffet wasn't cheap but was filling and delicious. Will return as Fairmont knows how to treat guests.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family