“Fairmont Gold is the best”

Fairmont Hotel Vancouver
Ranked #32 of 90 Hotels in Vancouver
Calgary, Canada
“Fairmont Gold is the best”
Reviewed May 16, 2013

I've visited almost every Fairmont Hotel across Canada. I've always been impressed with the service, the charm and the elegance but I only stayed on the Gold Floor for the first time last year. WOW! The service was amazing!

Yes, you do pay more for the club level Gold Floor, but the amenities make it worth every penny and more. The staff on the Gold Floor are the best of the best. You have your own private concierge looking after you. Included afternoon canapes are rich enough to warrant not eating dinner. A very nice breakfast buffet is included in your private Gold Floor Only guest lounge.

On the Gold Floor you get your own private check in. After riding the elevator to the 9th floor, we were greeted by our names! You may ask how, but in the lobby we asked someone for directions to the Gold Floor and they found out our names and phoned up to have the concierge awaiting us. That's great service!

Since experiencing my first ever Gold Floor stay in August, I travelled across Canada in October, staying on the Gold Floor everywhere there was one. This is a great way to travel and is worth the splurge.

Room Tip: Ask how much it costs for a Gold Floor upgrade at check in
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (578)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed May 13, 2013

I decided to treat my wife to a weekend away for Mother's Day and book a Gold Floor room online. I was given the option of signing up for an upgrade at a reduced rate, the only catch being you wouldn't know if you received the upgrade until check-in. Well, upon check-in we were led to the 14th Floor (which along with the 9th Floor are Gold Floor Rooms) and entered the Morningside Suite, a massive 900 square feet suite with seating for 15 and 150 degree views of Vancouver.

The Gold Floor staff were amazing as usual with personal attention paid to us every time we went to the private lounge, including obtaining snacks to meet our daughter's dietary restrictions.

One unfortunate aspect of the stay was a loud and constant thumping noise which reverberated through the suite. This was not easy to identify, and came either from air conditioning units on the roof or from a service elevator. Given that we got the suite at a reduced rate, I mentioned it only to the gold floor concierge so they would be aware of it, and not as a complaint. Never-the-less, the problem was taken seriously and a very kind and appropriate resolution was offered.

The gold lounge happy hour snacks were excellent, including sushi, Thai and Indian dishes.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank R_from_Vancouver
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed May 13, 2013

Recently attended a business conference at Vancouver. Stayed on Fairmont Gold, 9 th floor. The service was fabulous. The attendants were exceptionally attentive, courteous, and professional. Second time in the past year at this hotel - clearly my hotel of choice when coming to Vancouver!

Dubrovnik, Croatia
Reviewed May 12, 2013

Stayed on the Gold Floor and really enjoyed the additional special services offered here. With a family group the inclusion of a buffet breakfast, appetizers, snacks during the day and soft drinks etc really helped. Mavis was a star - ask about her when you stay there next :) Overall, loved the superb service and really good natural interaction from the entire team.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Langley, Canada
Reviewed May 10, 2013

I stayed on Fairmont Gold and was mesmerized by the service. The service is attentive without being interruptive; refined without pretentiousness.

Upon arrival I checked in on the 9th floor and was personally escorted to me room. Once in my room, the attendant probed for my needed. The best part: she offered me a wake-up call for morning and offered me coffee service. The next morning at 6am I was greeted with the warmest and charming wake-up call and a pot of steaming hot coffee. The best of the best awaits you in service at this hotel in the heart of it all!

The rooms are beautiful and the Fairmont Gold lounge offers a great breakfast. Love the dog Mavis who hangs out on the 9th floor.

Room Tip: Stay on Fairmont Gold. Room 905 had two crystal chandeliers and a beautiful view of the art gallery...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
HotelVan, General Manager at Fairmont Hotel Vancouver, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
Dear hotel_goddess,
I thank you for your wonderful comments from your recent stay. I am delighted that your experience was so enjoyable and rest assured your kind words will be shared with our colleagues here at the hotel. I am delighted to have such a great team here at “Vancouver’s Castle in the City”.
It is my sincere wish that we have the chance to welcome you back to the hotel in the very near future.

Kind regards,

Andre Zotoff
Guildford, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 10, 2013

My otherhalf and I spent a few nights on the Gold Floor just before Christmas last year. As Club Intrawest members I have previously spent most of my trips to Vancouver at the Wall Centre (which has designated Intrawest floors) but thought we would treat ourselves this year and were weighing up between the Fairmont and the new Shangri-La (being regulars at their chain elsewhere), and I must say that I think that we made the right decision for us.

The hotel in general

As visitors to Vancouver will know, the castle-like Hotel Vancouver is about as central as can be: brilliantly easy to get to from the airport via the SkyTrain (it is about 100m from the station), a short stroll to the bay, right next to Robson for shopping, and pretty easy to get around to Stanley Park on a sunny day so no complaints there.

Your initial impression of the hotel on entering is luxury, think the Ritz in London but with two resident Golden Retrievers there to welcome you. The Christmas decorations were also fantastic, and nothing like the gaudy ones in NYC where we had just spent 5 days. In previous years, however, I had felt that certain parts of the hotel felt a little dated so had been put off actually staying. However, when we were there refurbs were underway, and where they had been completed things were definitely looking fantastic.

It is not a modern city hotel, so do not go expecting that (maybe the Shangri-La or Pacific Rim would be better options if that is what you like: both beautiful in a stark, modernist kind of way). It instead reminds me of the older grand London hotels, with the comfort and familiarity of your own living room.

Fairmont's "Gold"

I would recommend to anyone staying at the Fairmont to pay the extra for the Gold class rooms. Though it may seem like a lot, breakfast is included (and delicious) in a private lounge, compared to the $20+ pp charged downstairs, as well as pre-dinner canapes (in reality, there is little need for dinner afterwards). The rooms themselves are certainly incredibly comfortable, and we have found the benefit of having a club lounge when visiting any city is invaluble to give a place to unwind with a tea and a snack. Unlike a lot of characterless hotel business lounges, this is actually like being in your own home: laze around in the wingbacks, make yourself a tea and settle down with a book and a cake (well ok, it is better than my home)

The biggest benefit of the Gold floor, however, was having the seperate conceirge. Yuki and her team were brilliant: always keen to help with any bookings, give ideas and generally chat. I cannot speak highly enough of them.

We come from the UK to Vancouver every other year or so, and love it there: I think that the Hotel Vancouver will now be our first stop.

Room Tip: Gold Room I am not sure whether we were lucky with the positioning of the room on a kind of corner...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed May 10, 2013

What a wonderful experience, I was unexpectedly upgraded from the already pestigious "presidents club" to the 14th floor where the Royals stay! need I say more....
I have stayed at the Fairmont on and off on business trips for more than 15 years. I always receive first class treatment and when, on rare occasions, an issue has evolved, I have been more than compensated for the mishap!