“Okay but I slept on a couch”

Fairmont Hotel Vancouver
Ranked #31 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
Reviewed April 16, 2013

The hotel is nice looking, in a great location and easy access to everything. My main issue with my stay was that my room was given away and it left me with two options - a smoking room or a pull out couch. I arrived at the hotel at 6pm for a conference. I booked a king, nonsmoking room almost 9 months prior to my trip. When I arrived I was told that they had run out of rooms because they give the rooms away as people arrived, no matter when the rooms are booked. I was told that they could put in me in a parlor room that was attached to a suite (with a pull out couch only) or a smoking room. They gave me a free breakfast and said check back the next day. I checked back in the am and was told to check back later. At 6pm the next day I was told that I could switch rooms. Rather than move all of my items I asked for another free breakfast. I was told no. She said I could move if I wanted. I figured she was just grumpy and came back the next morning and asked for a breakfast. A different staff member said that I had the option to move so why did I deserve a breakfast. She could tell I was frustrated and gave in. Maybe I was wrong for not wanting to move but still expecting them to reconcile for not honoring my reservation. However, I was very polite and respectful and was just surprised by the situation. In addition to my room issues the hotel was way too warm for a conference. But I understand that is a preference. Overall the bar was nice, location great and appearance okay. I would not stay at the hotel again due to me issues and the response of the staff. This was my first stay at a Fairmot property. Based on this I will avoid others.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
HotelVan, General Manager at Fairmont Hotel Vancouver, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2013

Dear Dadooleys,
My sincere thanks for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your recent stay here in Vancouver; it is through constructive responses such as yours that we are better able to serve you in the future. I would like to extend my apologies on behalf of the hotel for the experience that you encountered during your recent stay. I am following up with my Front Office team in regards to their communication of options available to you. Should you wish to discuss your stay further, my email address is sunny.joseph@fairmont.com.

My thanks to you once again for taking the time to share your feedback with me.

Sunny Joseph
Director of Operations

Write a ReviewReviews (3,423)

Reviewed April 13, 2013

I stayed at the Fairmont Vancouver for a conference over the past few days. While I will agree that the service is impeccable, the rooms are dated and leave a lot to be desired. My room was a corner room on the 10th floor and the window was covered due to maintenance on the outside of the building. This made the room feel very dark all day which was disappointing. There were also several burn marks on the carpet and an overall old feeling. I was woken up several times each night to the notice of people running up and down the nearby staircase. I had high hopes but was a bit disappointed.

The location is great, the staff is ver helpful and friendly. They offered another room but the hotel was full and the only room available was a parlor suite with only a pullout couch. They did give me a free breakfast voucher along with three drink vouchers for my trouble which was nice. The breakfast buffet is nice but quite pricey at $33.00. There are lots of places close by with more economical options.

Room Tip: If you want a view of the city, make sure to request a room that is not effected by the building mai...

Dear RMB1038,
Please accept my thanks for your taking the time to share your feedback from your recent stay. I am sorry to hear that your experience was not entirely satisfactory. The window frosting in your room and a number of others are in place temporarily whilst we had had some scaffolding erected on the exterior of the building for some routine maintenance. While I apologise for this taking away from the view, we are 100% committed to ensuring the privacy of our guests. I am following up with my housekeeping team to address the condition of your room.

Kind regards,

Sunny Joseph
Director of Operations

Reviewed April 10, 2013

Although the hotel is under construction, the service is top notch. Upon check in I was offered an upgrade, as the hotel was full. The check in was quick, efficient and seamless. Room was luxurious, with all the amenities I needed for my business meetings and personal needs. Rooms are warm, so don't forget to adjust your heat if needed at night! My only complaint is paying for wifi! It really should be included in room cost, but that's a personal pet peeve. Otherwise a wonderful stay.

Dear Lisa S,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your recent stay. I am delighted that you chose to stay at our iconic property during your visit to Vancouver I will be sharing your comments with my team and we look forward to welcoming you back to our "Castle in the heart of the city" in the near future. I would also encourage you to join our wonderful guest loyalty programme "Fairmont Presidents Club", it is complimentary to join and offers free wifi as an instant benefit.

Kind regards,

Andre Zotoff

Reviewed April 10, 2013

In some of my travels in Canada, I have been fortunate to stay at a few of the Fairmont Hotels. Like the Queen Elizabeth in Montreal, the Vancouver Hotel is a very elegant hotel that once was owned by a railway company. For some reason, this was the first time I did not end up on the Gold floor which only meant for me that I had to find a cup of coffee and a couple of pieces of toast in the morning.
Now here is the only minus about my stay, you cannot get breakfast for less than $25. I know this is an upscale hotel but 2 pieces of white toast and coffee costing $25 and the buffet was $30, well. Yes, the buffet had Eggs Benedict and other high end items but for someone who does not eat much, that cost is a lot.
I guess it is just a reelection of the area. Breakfast items that I find normally for 3 or 4 dollars was 7 to 10 in Vancouver. That is not the hotel fault.

All in all, the hotel was great, the staff was very good and make sure to say hello to Mavis and Beau when they are in the lobby. They are the hotel’s welcoming Golden Retriever mascots and spoke dogs for canine helpers.

Reviewed April 10, 2013

After traveling well over 24 hours to get here and arriving with only 1 bag (thanks to Air Canada for losing it), we were pleasantly surprised by the facilities, location and friendliness of the staff.

The staff (especially Catherine [lobby restaurant/bar]) were very helpful with contacting Air Canada to attempt to locate our lost luggage and were more than happy to offer us anything that we needed to make our stay more comfortable - this was well above what we wold have expected.

The hotel is located close to downtown with a shopping mall less than 5 minutes walk away. This was good for us, as we needed to purchase new clothes. The train station is also less than 5 minutes away.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Thoroughly enjoyed our stay on the Fairmont Gold floor. Service was exceptional. Staff were very, helpful, friendly and attentive. Only complaint is the wifi service was inadequate. We did mention it to the concierge and he was going to follow up with the IT supports.

Room Tip: You may wish to check out wifi quality. It is a large, old hotel and I suspect wifi may be a challen...
Reviewed April 2, 2013

Last week I booked two rooms using my company's corporate rate, with the 2nd room for friends of ours tagging along on my trip. Unfortunately the hotel did not want my business so we headed down the street to the Westin Grand.

At check-in, I was asked for proof of affiliation with the company. This is very rare in my frequent business travel, but I'm fine with it as the check-in agents are just doing their job. I showed my badge. However, they firmly denied letting me have the 2nd room at the corporate rate. They kept reiterating that the rate is only for company staff and declined to extend the rate to the 2nd room on my reservation as a courtesy. While the check-in agents were not rude, I feel they certainly could have been more pleasant about it. I then booked two rooms at the Westin. And the service difference was night and day as I felt the check-in agent there sincerely appreciated my business.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank bayarea_badger

Dear bayarea_badger,
Please accept my sincere thanks for taking the time to share your feedback. The instance that you have noted is regrettable and I am reviewing the protocols in place with our operations team to better address such in the future. As you have noted, the agent was following procedure, none the less we most certainly do value your business and I can only apologise for your experience. Your valuable feedback allows us to address areas for improvement and how we can better accommodate and look after you, our guest in the future.

Thank you once again for taking the time to connect with us.

Yours sincerely,