“Very average for the price”

Fairmont Hotel Vancouver
Ranked #32 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
Reviewed February 1, 2013

Stayed here for 6 nights for a conference. Work paid top dollar for my room ($189 p/n plus taxes) and in all I don't think it was worth the money. Price did not include breakfast, rooms were noisy (possibly due to large gaps under the doors), my bathroom floor was covered in water after every shower (was unsure whether it was just leaking from the shower curtain or if something funny was going on with the toilet as the flooding always looked like it came from the toilet). There was plenty of dust on my side table. For the price, St Regis in Vancouver was much more enjoyable (I also stayed there several nights on vacation). The Fairmont did supply nice toiletries though. This hotel has resident dogs and allows dogs as guests in the hotel which was a bit weird, on occasion you see the dogs growling at the guest dogs in the foyer (though the dogs seemed lovely when guest dogs were not around)!

Room Tip: Renovations are currently happening at Fairmont and some of my friends had their windows obscured by...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Crazyscientist_11
HotelVan, General Manager at Fairmont Hotel Vancouver, responded to this reviewResponded February 14, 2013

Dear Crazyscientist_11,
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments relating to your recent stay. I would be very appreciative of the opportunity to discuss your stay in greater detail, my email address is sunny.joseph@fairmont.com.

I hope to have the opportunity to speak to you soon.

Sunny Joseph
Director of Operations

Reviewed February 1, 2013

I stayed here for a 6 day business trip. The concierge was very helpful on making restaurant reservations and planning free time. I enjoyed the 2 dogs the hotel has during the day. I believe you can take them for walks if you like.

The hotel is ideally located in right downtown.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank snsmith27
Reviewed January 29, 2013

To celebrate my birthday, my hubby decided to book a stay at the Fairmont Hotel Vancouver. Although we live in the outskirts of the city, it was nice to stay in the city and do a city tour for 2 days. The Hotel has been renovated, but it still has it's old charm. We stayed at a one-bedroom suite and we loved it. The room furnishing gives you the feeling of elegance.. the old world.. with modern conveniences.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that faces the Art Gallery, east side of the hotel.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank knoller70
HotelVan, General Manager at Fairmont Hotel Vancouver, responded to this reviewResponded January 30, 2013

Dear Guest,
Happy belated birthday! Please accept my thanks for sharing your wonderful feedback. I am delighted that we have the opportunity to look after you on such a special day. I will be sharing your kind words with my team here and look forward to having you come and stay with us again in the very near future.

Andre Zotoff

Reviewed January 29, 2013

My husband and 2 teenagers enjoyed a getaway to Vancouver. The hotel was elegant and welcoming. The staff were friendly and accomodating. We enjoyed afternoon tea then walked around town. The large shopping mall nearby was a bonus for our teenage daughters. We'll be back.

1  Thank snomom06
Reviewed January 29, 2013

If you are looking to be pampered, welcomed and nourished, well... this is the place to stay. By far the most authentic, genuine and gracious team caters to your experience. Travel can be hectic, but that just melts away the moment you arrive. A calming environment, spacious rooms and beautiful decor all contribute to the incredible team at your service. Our gold experience was topped of with access to a fully stocked lounge, brilliant appies, incredible breakfast, and that welcoming glass of wine. Well done Fairmont Gold, well done! In gratitude <3

Room Tip: Choose the gold experience~ If you can request a corner suite, enjoy the bright views and spacious r...
Reviewed January 28, 2013

We stayed at the Fairmont Hotel Vancouver this past weekend while taking our kids to the Monster Truck Show. We booked Fairmont Gold and couldn't have had a better time. The Fairmont Gold Staff were extremely friendly and helpful and the lounge was well stocked with amazing snacks and was a great place to have a glass of wine in the evening. We don't normally spoil ourselves like this so it was a great treat for the whole family and I would recommend this Hotel to anyone. Our room was really nice and the beds were amazingly comfortable including the crib they had set-up for our baby upon arrival. I also really liked how this hotel has a classy and authentic feel to it.

Reviewed January 27, 2013

The one thing I continue to have an issue with regarding my stays at Fairmont properties is that these stays are always too short! This was a one-night stay, but we packed as much awesomeness into it as we could.

I have never had a bad night's sleep at a Fairmont, and I have spent many nights in those stunning beds (though as I said, while the stays are short, they have been numerable). We were in Vancouver for a dinner party, and after a long night, that bed was so welcome. But enough of that.

I just can't say enough about this property. It was the first Fairmont I ever stayed in, and since, I have visited seven others. It is not the most opulent Fairmont, but there is something that resonates with it.

On the way out, we met a staff member who was setting up for a conference. He told us about the remodeling coming up over the next year: rooms, conference spaces, carpeting...lots of great things coming.

For those who have read my past reviews, it may sound like I am a big Fairmont fan -- and I am. I still try to be fair, but since I do travel frequently and stay in a good amount of hotels, I feel I can objectively determine what's good.

That being said, I will say at that during this stay, the water in the shower did not get very hot. It was above-average warm, but it never got hot. The water pressure was fantastic, which is another thing I want in a hotel shower, and while not hot, the temperature was consistent.

When we were eating breakfast in our room, a seagull landed on the window ledge, and it was extra silly because that same thing happened the last time we stayed in a Fairmont, the Empress in Victoria. I wonder if it was the same bird?

So ... yes, I enjoy Fairmonts. Their reputation is well deserved. Clean, well cared for, great service, and a great location in downtown. Plus, they have the hotel dogs, Mavis and Beau!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
HotelVan, General Manager at Fairmont Hotel Vancouver, responded to this reviewResponded January 31, 2013

Dear guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback from your recent stay. It is wonderful to hear that our team is delivering on our service promise and even more so to know that you are such a loyal guest. I hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel in the very near future.

Sunny Joseph