“Great location, nice hotel for a short stay”

Fairmont Hotel Vancouver
Ranked #31 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
Gold Coast Australia
“Great location, nice hotel for a short stay”
Reviewed April 3, 2008

Stayed at the Fairmont for 3 nights for some Vancouver sightseeing at the end of a ski trip. Great location in the city centre. The hotel room was ok although the bathroom could do with some updating. We were out sightseeing most of the time so the room was not that important. Hotel staff were all excellent with great service in all areas. Facilities were good and the historic nature of the hotel is a nice experience. Went elsewhere for drinks and meals as we found the atmosphere a little highbrow and stuffy. We were at the end of a month long holiday and were enjoying ourselves and the sight of all those suits in the bar and restaurants wasn't our scene but I guess that is what you get in an inner city hotel mid week.
The Bellagio cafe a few doors away is a great place for a drink, lunch or dinner. It is very relaxed with a great atmosphere and good food at reasonable prices.
For sightseeing there is a good 4.5 hour bus tour which is good for seeing the city and getting familiar with inner Vancouver with a good commentary. It gets you up the lookout tower as well. Just ask at the concierge desk, they are very helpful. For any other looking around Vancouver the day pass for all local public transport, bus, seabus and skytrain is only $9 and is worthwhile.

• Liked — Location and historic atmosphere
  • Disliked — Nothing, it was all ok
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (594)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
lake forest, ca
Reviewed March 22, 2008

I recently stayed at the Fairmont in downtown Vancouver for a business trip. The location of the hotel is smack dab in the middle of downtown and is convenient to everything. Shopping, restaurants, etc. are just a walk outside your hotel. The rooms are nothing special and actually were somewhat run down. After a multi-million dollar renovation I expected more. The rooms are huge and spacious though. Also, the sound of sirens and cars driving by at night kept me awake and I was perched on the 15th floor. One of the best features of the hotel was the two yellow lab/golden retriever dogs that were part of the lobby landscape. These dogs are owned by the hotel and are available to any guest to take on walks or just give a quick pet as you walk to through the lobby. Great feeling of home with that detail. Overall, a nice stay, great location but uncomfortable rooms.

• Liked — The dogs iin the lobby and the location
  • Disliked — The rooms were uncomfortable
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled on business
Ventura, CA
Reviewed February 19, 2008

My wife and I went to Vancouver over Valentine's Day weekend 2008. Upon research, we decided on the Fairmont Vancouver Downtown (based upon reviews on Tripadvisor). The hotel is in an excellent location, it's worth the 4-5 star rating for it's accommodations (see below), but mostly the professionalism of the staff both at the concierge desk and presidents club desk (tip, get a membership in presidents club, it's free, and there are upgrades and perks at the hotel). All of the staff was helpful in directions, places to see, etc. including assisting in obtaining tickets to the hockey game and other entertainment in the city.

The hotel is across the street from the Art Gallery, two blocks from the main shopping street in Vancouver, and the underground mall. As well as, five blocks from old town (Gastown area) and China Town, .8 km (1/2 mile) from the Arena and Stanley Park. Inside the hotel there's a Gucci Store among other high end retail establishments, including Tiffany's across the street.

Amenities in the hotel are top of the line, the rooms are large, with a small walk in closet, and a full size bathroom and tub.. There is no safe in the room but there's a minibar. There's an indoor pool, Hot Tub, children's splash pool, dry sauna, and full workout facility are complimentary for all hotel guests.

There are a few restaurants in the hotel, including room service, we only ate at the lounge (the food was expensive, usual for hotels) but decent. The afternoon Tea Time was pleasant and enjoyable.

Overall, the Fairmont exceeded expectations, the staff treated all guests (from what we observed) including ourselves with class and exceptional service, whether a Preferred Member or regular guest. The service was better than most other Platinum/Gold/etc. membership service that other hotels have on site throughout North America from my experience. Upon returning to Vancouver we plan on staying at the hotel again.

Additional tips:

fly directly into YVR (Vancouver), customs is quick/easy, since driving from Seattle takes 3+ hours each way.

Car rentals are inexpensive, but parking isn't downtown (around $25+ a day).

Taxi's are the preferred method of transportation, and are inexpensive, around $30 to/from the airport (most taxi's are Hybrids).

Public transportation is readily available and goes everyone, walking is safe and easy too throughout the downtown area.

There's a coffee shop on almost every corner, on one corner there were two Starbucks across from one another and a local coffee shop on the other.

Take the water taxi from downtown to Granville Island ($3.50 each way PP) and Sea Bus to North Vancouver/North Shore.

• Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank SoCalBC
Reviewed February 16, 2008

Stayed for one night with a friend. Check-in seemed to go well until I got to the room and the key didn't work. As I walked back to the elevator with my luggage a young bellman appeared and tried the door as well. He escorted me back to the reception desk and another key was quickly produced. That was the only hiccup of our stay. My friend is a smoker, so we had a smoking room on a high floor. My friend was quite taken with the Gargoyle outside our window. The room was spacious, comfortable and traditionally decorated which quite suited it considering the age of the building itself. The beds were comfy and being two girls, we appreciated the bathrobes and the mirrored table outside the bathroom. The closet was a huge walk-in which could be roomy enough to sleep a couple of kids! We did not have time to use any of the facilities or the restaurant but I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 12, 2008

I stayed at this hotel for two nights at the beginning of February. I booked my room through Otel.com. If you're not familiar with this website, check it out. I found the hotel rates were much lower than other travel booking websites like Expedia or Hotels.ca. On top of having low rates, you can collect "dollar points" everytime you book a hotel through them that can be used towards future bookings. Very cool! I paid $135 CAD per night for a Fairmont Room (king bed).
I arrived around noon on a Thursday. Check in was quick and I was immediately given a room. The room was rather on the small side but I was by myself so I didn't mind. I thought the furninshings were beautiful and in great condition. The bathroom is average size but could definitely be remodeled. The bathtub/sink/toilet are old and need to be replaced. The tub was so old that it looks like one of those tubs that never quite looks clean regardless of how much you scrub.
There was a LCD TV in the room, but the hotel does not appear to have HD cable, which makes the picture kind of distorted (either that or Paris Hilton has put on a LOT of weight!) Overall, the room was clean but could have been cleaner (note comments about the tub and the furniture probably hadn't been properly dusted in a week or two). The bed was VERY comfortable however, I slept well. Overall, I thought the room was very quiet. No street noise and I couldn't hear my neighbours in the room next door. There was some noise in the hallways but that didn't really bother me.
The location of the hotel is perfect. I used to live in Vancouver and I know the downtown area quite well. I couldn't imagine a better spot to be in for tourists. Robson street is a block away, the Pacific Centre (big downtown mall is also a block away). The seabus to North Vancouver (towards Capilano Suspension Bridge and Grouse Mountain) is a quick 10 minute walk from the hotel. Stanley park is a 15-20-minute leasurely walk along the seawall from the hotel. There are plenty of restaurants and shopping within a three block radius. And it's in a safe part of town, so no worrie there. You can also take the skytrain at the Pacific Centre, which again is about a 90 second walk away.
Food- I ate at the Griffins restaurant one night and had a delicious steak (really well cooked, and I'm picky about my steak). I also had brunch on the Saturday, which was also quite good. But at 26$ + tax + tip a head, I would probably give a pass. There are a few restaurants just outside the hotel that serve a good breakfast for a lot less.
Overall, service was quite friendly. I had a late afternoon flight and they let me keep my room a couple of hours after check out at no extra cost. I saw the dogs a couple of times in the lobby. They're definitely adorable but I've never seen dogs so blasé about getting attention from humans. Clearly they're getting too much of it (which is better than not enough I suppose)!
Overall, a great stay at a lovely hotel. I would definitely recommend it.

• Liked — Location and the bed
  • Disliked — Bathroom needs upgrading
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled solo
2 Thank dom_nique
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed February 5, 2008

We stayed here in late January for a conference. The entrance was grand and pretty swanky but we didn't feel too out of place in our "riff-raff wear" ie: jeans, hoodies, sneakers. Reception was friendly and checkout was super quick. I was sad to say that I didn't see the hotel dogs the entire time I was here though.

The elevators were quick to come and our room was on the 4th floor, facing Burrard. The room was very clean, fairly spacious and the king sized bed was just amazing... I definitely had a good night's sleep. The bathroom included 2 white robes, which I thought was a really nice touch, a hairdryer (didn't try it out) and a lighted magnifying mirror (awesome). There was good soap too! Not that cheap stuff that takes forever to work up a lather that I'm accustomed to when staying at hotels. The toilet was old-school though, the kind that you see in public restrooms that don't have a water tank behind it.

There was a hottub, pool, and exercise room on another floor that we didn't try out, but the facilities looked clean. I didn't see any noticeable places to change clothes though, so I wonder if guests were expected to wander around the halls and elevators in their robes?

There were a few complaints though that kept my experience here from being 100%. We were told that there were "sensitive motion detectors" inside the bar fridge and charges would be put on our account if something inside was moved... which was a pain because I would've like to keep a bottle of water or two in it to keep cool. The TV channels also didn't always correspond with the listings that hotel provided. For some reason, the channels don't correlate with the TV guide on channel 2 so a separate pamphlet was provided, but there were still quite a few mistakes that had us confused.

This next complaint isn't really related to the hotel, but the building that housed the parking lot, which hotel guests use, contained only one lone elevator. It can probably fit 6-8 adults without things being too overly awkward inside and it serves about 7 floors up and a few more down. The other alternative is to take the fire stairways and there was often a wait to get on.

Overall we had a great and awesome time... the complaints were fairly minor and a 5-star hotel can stand a little nit-picking now and then. For the price of our room ($409/night according to the sign on our door) we were kinda hoping for a little more "oomph" though.

• Liked — Beds, the view
  • Disliked — Bar fridge, parking lot
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled on business
Manchester, UK
Reviewed January 14, 2008

The Fairmont is a wonderful, wonderful hotel - especially if you are lucky enough to stay on the Fairmont Gold floor. It is very traditional in decor, but you know for sure that a lot of expense has gone into creating the rooms.

Service is exceptional - as we found all over Vancouver, to be honest - and staff make a real effort with guests. We couldn't justify purchasing anything from the mini-bar (very pricey, but aren't all mini-bars?!), but we loved being looked after properly in this hotel.

• Liked — Service and comfort
  • Disliked — Old-fashioned decor
  • Stayed April 2005