“Shopping Getaway!”

Ranked #32 of 90 Hotels in Vancouver
Kelowna, Canada
“Shopping Getaway!”
Reviewed October 28, 2012

My first time in a Fairmont hotel. We slept well and although it is going through a restoration you never noticed it. The rooms take you back in time but very comfortable. Good location in downtown and close to shopping district. The lounge and lobby area are very pleasant. The service was fantastic and I was given great advice and assisted in all my booking. We will definitely be back.

Room Tip: The Gold Floor
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (573)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Smithers, B.C.
Reviewed October 28, 2012 via mobile

My favorite in Vancouver. Totally helpful, competent staff. Great location. Pet friendly.smoking rooms. Traditional feel. They still shine shoes overnight. The rooftop restaurant has been a celebration site for generations.

• Stayed October 2012
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 27, 2012

Good location in downtown and close to shopping district.

Our room was a decent size and well appointed. I noticed a gripe about wifi costs - join the presidents club (their loyalty scheme) and its free.

The lounge and lobby area are very pleasant, look out for the dogs by the concierge!

This isn't a hotel I would rave about, but if you can get an appropriate rate, it does the job.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed October 25, 2012

Had booked a suite and was given one on the newly renovated floor (#2). The room was spacious and comfortable. The bathroom was a bit tight. Everything had been updated and looked much better than some of the other dated Fairmont properties.

The lounge is lively and nice - live music always adds to the ambience. The food in the Griffins restaurants was not the best (as it claims to be the best restaurant in Vancouver) and the service was quite bad.

The best part of the hotel was the concierge service. I dealt with three of them and corresponded via email prior to my arrival. The service was fantastic and I was given great advice and assisted in all my booking.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 24, 2012

My first time in Canada and in a Fairmont hotel, I wouldn't return to this hotel by choice. A lot of grandeur i.e. old fashioned but I felt I was being ripped off. Free wifi should be the standard at these prices. I expect it to be an optional extra in a motel. I am further shocked that an extra 30 dollars is sought for breakfast. The Buffett breakfast is excellent as is the service but this should be an inclusive on the price, the piece de resistance is 8 dollars if you choose to drink the Evian. I expect to pay for the minibar ( but why would I with a 24 hr convenience store in the high street ) but not for water. I'll have the tap water thanks. And as for " king size room " in the UK we call this a standard. The pool is tiny has no showers in the immediate area nor changing rooms nor staff,
Some positives friendly and efficient maid service and good location
Great big hd tv,
I phone docking station

Room Tip: I'd try the other Fairmont hotels nearer the bay
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Simon J
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed October 22, 2012

I recently returned from a business trip to Vancouver where I stayed on the Gold floor at the Fairmont Hotel Vancouver. I usually stay on the gold floor at the Fairmont Pacific Rim or the Fairmont Airport Hotel on my business trips to the city but decided to give the Hotel Vancouver a try. Unfortunately, the Gold floor here does not live up to my experiences at the other two Fairmont hotels or even to Gold floors at other Fairmont hotels in the area such as at the Empress in Victoria which has outstanding service and offerings. The Gold floor lounge at the Hotel Vancouver is quite small, in my opinion offers a very limited choice of foods at breakfast or during the evening appetizers and has small Gold King rooms with no separate showers (I did not stay in a suite). Add to that the hotel's rather small exercise facilities and limited choice in restaurants and it felt like a much less relaxing experience at the end of my busy business days. The hotel itself is a beautiful old icon for which Fairmont has done a lovely job of enhancing this historic element on the main floors, etc. (they always do a great job at this!) so it is worth a visit just to look around or have a drink. I will however, on my next trip to Vancouver, stay at either the Fairmont Pacific Rim or the Fairmont Airport Hotel where I can be more confident of receiving better service.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank Happy_Vacationers2
Swansea, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 22, 2012

We arrived at about 3.30pm to be told that our room was not ready, we asked how long and was told about 30 minutes so we retired to the bar. My husband returned to reception no less than four times at about 30 minute intervals and each time was fobbed off with an excuse from a fairly surly young man. When we got cross and told a second person at check-in that we had now waited two and a half hours, the response was to think ourselves lucky as some people were waiting five hours! We had just got off an eleven hour flight with an eight hour time difference, we were truly exhausted and this was not a nice way to greet or treat guests.
The next day we returned to our room at almost 6pm to find it had not been touched by housekeeping - we gave up and asked for fresh towels and coffee and made the bed ourselves.
On our second day our early morning start was delayed because the garage was closed and we couldn't retrieve our rental car despite being told that there was 24 hour access to the parking lot. My husband had to go chasing around to find someone (anyone) who could open the barriers and even then had to reverse back along the pathway to exit through the entrance barrier! Our room was done when we returned that day but frankly we didn't really care any more.
On our third day we were checking out very early to join our ship in Nome, apparently 5am is too early for any kind of breakfast here so we were refunded this by our travel agent!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple