“Another Excellent Stay At The Fairmont Hotel Vancouver”

Fairmont Hotel Vancouver
Ranked #32 of 90 Hotels in Vancouver
Toronto, Canada
“Another Excellent Stay At The Fairmont Hotel Vancouver”
Reviewed February 10, 2012

I visit Vancouver a couple of times each year on business, and have stayed at the Fairmont Hotel Vancouver before. Knowing what I was in for, I had no hesitation booking a junior suite for my most recent trip, which required me to stay downtown for three days.

Sometimes things change with time, and there have been occasions when I returned to a favourite hotel only to be disappointed. Not so here, as the Hotel Vancouver once again exceeded all of my expectations.

As I've written in previous reviews on this hotel, the location cannot be beat. With its central position right in the heart of Vancouver's downtown core, everything from Stanley Part to BC Place stadium and GM Place to Robson street shopping is within easy walking distance. It's also an easy half-block to the Skytrain.

The Hotel Van is a heritage building, and you cannot help but feel the tremendous elegance that envelopes you as you walk inside and look around the lobby. The hustle and bustle of Vancouver disappears, and you've stepped back in time - not just to a world of marble and brass, but to the type of friendly, graceful and efficient service that seems altogether too rare today. You're treated like royalty from the moment you approach the door, and made to feel like you're the one and only customer the hotel has ever had. How wonderful that feels after a long day of traveling.

The hotel's restaurant (Griffins) serves a varied menu, while you can also get snacks and drinks in the open lobby bar. I dined at both - sood was great, service impeccable.

My room was utterly spotless, well furnished, and with perhaps the most comfortable hotel bed ever. I have no idea what the thread count on the linen might have been, but it was soft as can be and appeared to be new. Multiple pillows of different density is always a nice touch, and I truly appreciated the nightly turn-down service, complete with a small bottle of water waiting at my bedside. A trip to the bath revealed enough towels to dry a small army, all of them thick, plush and soft as the linens. My room had a walk-in shower, so I really enjoyed all the space.

I did make use of the hotel's health club, and found it to be quite good. The equipment is all in new condition, perfectly maintained, and the towel racks were full. Several other guests also made use of the facility while I was there, yet no one seemed to get in anyone else's way, so the layout and allocation of different machines seems good. I didn't use the pool.

The hotel has two beautiful and extremely well behaved Labrador retrievers who hang around the concierge desk, waiting to take guests for a walk. Make the time to take a spin around the block with one (or both) of them. It will be the best five minutes of your day.

Finally, I have to say it again - the service is what really sets this hotel apart. Yes it's a great building, yes it's crazy clean and tidy, but few places leave you feeling as valued as a customer as the Fairmont. It's truly in a league of its own.

Room Tip: You can sometimes get last-minute upgrades to a better room, depending on what they have available...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Craig1963

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (573)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Oakville
Reviewed February 9, 2012

If you like old style elegance and don't mind that it's a bit old, this is a great place. The public areas of the hotel, particularly the bar, are grand. My corner room had loads of natural light and decent views. The ensuite bathroom was rather small, and there was a persistent ticking noise (emanating from plumbing?).

One major annoyance was that the hotel's wireless internet, although free to members of the Fairmont President's Club affinity program, simply did not work.

Room Tip: Spring for a deluxe room.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Michael047
Nad
Reviewed February 8, 2012

This is an old world elegant hotel. The rooms are beautiful but old world with high ceilings, draperies and you feel like your in a different era. The hotel is centrally located a few minutes from Robson stree (huge shopping area) with stores from Chanel to local tourist shops. The restaurants are endless. You are in downtown Vancouver minutes away from the waterfront and Gas town. You are close to Stanely park, see capilano swinging bridge, lunch in Yaletown. You can see Granville Island and many other attractions. Its expensive to park your car in the adjacent garage. The restaurants are pricy but there are McDonalds and pizza joints nearly. The hotel is a 3 minute walk away from City square with a museum and a
shopping mall. Go to Second beach and walk along the park. Eat at Milestones, Earls Cactus club. It does rain a lot but you can enjoy lots of indoor activites and fun for the kiddies too

Room Tip: near an elevator and no connecting rooms.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
Mission, Canada
Reviewed February 7, 2012

My husband and I (both early 60's) were treated fantastically from the moment we drove up for Valet parking until we left. Based on other reviewers comments, we opted to pay the extra $2 ($30 self park or $32 valet park, both with in/out privileges, and parking until 5 p.m. the next day) plus tip for the convenience of Valet parking. We arrived at 2 p.m. and they weren't busy at that time, so my door was opened for me, our luggage was hauled out for us and we were off to the reception desk in no time. Note that you drive to the 'back' of the hotel through a drive-thru to get to Valet parking. Don't go to the front of the hotel on the main streets (Georgia St. or Burrard St.).

At Reception, we had no line-up at all and went straight to the desk clerk. I asked about 'upgrading' as we were booked in a Fairmont Room and, based on other reviewers feedback (Thank You!), we decided to spend the extra $100 and upgrade to the Fairmont Gold floor, corner room. It was a great decision as the room couldn't have been better. We got complimentary appetizers in the evening (5-7 p.m.) before dinner, and a wonderful hot/cold breakfast the next morning - with a nutritious assortment to choose from. They have a DVD player in the room and a complimentary assortment of DVD's to choose from in the hospitality suite. Internet is free on this floor (which we didn't use), plus many other amenities which we didn't need. This is the 9th floor of the hotel and we found the traffic below to be a muted noise - although you will definitely hear any sirens going by.

My husband used their gym facilities and was quite pleased (they are 24/7). There were 4 treadmills with built-in T.V.'s, 4 elipticals, and, sadly, only one weight room cubbyhole big enough for 1 person. So, he decided to use their kinetic weights - which he had never used before - and enjoyed them more than using his regular weights. Also they had stationary bikes, etc. Very well-equipped and better than all the hotels we've ever stayed in he said.

We used their 900 West Lounge once in the afternoon and once in the late evening. Service was superb. Be expected to pay more for your drinks here than you probably would someplace else, but the ambiance is really wonderful and felt the whole experience was worth it. There is a local pub on Burrard Street about 2 blocks up and on the same side of the street as the hotel (going west).

For shopping, you couldn't ask for a better location! Robson Street, with mostly upscale shops is only a 1/2 block away. The huge Pacific Centre Shopping Mall is only 2 blocks away. There are many boutique shops in the area. Lots of restaurants around with all the different choices of food that you could even think of.

All in all, every staff member we spoke with was friendly and efficient at their job. They made our whole experience a wonderful time to remember.

Room Tip: Fairmont Gold floor gives you really good value for your money. Our corner room was quite large wit...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank leslie026
HotelVan, General Manager at Fairmont Hotel Vancouver, responded to this review, February 27, 2012
Dear guests,
I thank you for your wonderful comments from your recent stay. I am delighted that your experience was so enjoyable and rest assured your kind words will be shared with our colleagues here at the hotel. I am delighted to have such a great team here at “Vancouver’s Castle in the City”.
It is my sincere wish that we have the chance to welcome you back to the hotel in the very near future.

Kind regards,

Andre Zotoff
India
Reviewed February 6, 2012

Great location - bang in the middle of downtown.Loved the pool and the healthclub facilities

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Saskatoon, Canada
Reviewed February 6, 2012

LOVE this hotel! This was our third stay in the last six years, and we had the usual terrific time -- it seemed to us that the desk staff and the wait staff in the restaurant were even better than before. Also, my husband smokes, and there was no problem getting a room with smoking permitted.
I was attending a workshop on the other side of the downtown area and I knew I would be taking cabs. So we thought about staying at another hotel a bit closer to the workshop. But then we realized that the cab fare would be close to the same regardless, and the one hotel in downtown Vancouver where early morning cabs can be virtually guaranteed to be waiting is the Hotel Vancouver.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Perth
Reviewed February 3, 2012

This has been one of the best hotels I have ever stayed at. Everyone was very helpful from the porter to the concierge and front reception. We stayed here for two nights and then left our 11 suitcases and went to Whistler. We stayed at another hotel but they still stored our luggage for us at no cost. We then came back and stayed another night and again on check out they stored our luggage for us as our flight wasn't until 11pm that night. The hotel is old, grand and beautiful. Despite its age is is very well kept, extremely clean and the rooms are fantastic. We had two double beds in our room and it was like sleeping on a cloud. The bathrooms are quite nice although they could do with a bit of a make over. But they were nothing to complain about. In the lobby was a lovely dog which our children loved. I don't think there are many hotels around the world that have their own dog. It added a nice touch to the hotel. There was also a Thomas the Tank train for the little ones and my two year old loved climbing on it. Our four children felt very comfortable in this hotel. We had high tea one afternoon and it was better than the Ritz in London which we had two weeks prior. Our little two year old girl was made to feel like a princess and they even gave her a tea cup and saucer. The food was fantastic and left overs were given to us in a container and bag. The price was half the price of the Ritz but far superior and much nicer food. The scones were to die for! We had buffet breakfast every morning in the restaurant and that was superb. They even had the famous scones we loved. Make sure you become a member as then you get free WiFi. We had no problems with the internet service and it was nice not having to pay for it. The hotel is also in a very good location and you can walk to all major things from here.
The porters and bell boys were always so friendly and helpful and as this was our last hotel on our world trip it was nice to leave on a happy note. If we came back to Vancouver I will definately be staying here again. The hotel has charm and very good service. Thanks for making our time so pleasant here.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family