“My favorite Vancouver hotel”

Fairmont Hotel Vancouver
Ranked #32 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
Reviewed August 6, 2011

I'm in Vancouver few times a year and this Fairmont is now my favorite hotel. Fast check in, professional and courteous staff, my requests are always met, great location, great room.

Reviewed August 4, 2011

There are fantastically appointed hotel rooms here and some very good ones too and a lot in between. This hotel is from a different time, so be prepared for lots of history, and genteel-ness about the whole place, and soak it up.... This ranks up there for me with another grand old dame the Moana Surfrider in Honolulu.

I have stayed here for business 4 times in the last 13 months and have enjoyed my stay every time.

Sometimes the front desk can be a little abrupt, but always polite, even if it is not the answer you wish to hear ....

Griffins restaurant is extremely well priced for a hotel of this calibre, and high tea at $36 is one of the cheaper ones around, and so much to eat!!!

David on the concierge desk is the most helpful and knowledgeable person I have ever come into contact with in 15 years of staying in hotels worldwide every 2nd week. Nothing is too much of a problem, he knows EVERYTHING or so it seems, and is always happy. This man is worth his weight if you are new to Vancouver, or only have a short period of time to enjoy here.

Only downside is you pay for the internet here, unless you join the Fairmont Presidents Club (which is free) and then it is complimentary wireless throughout.

Room Tip: Huge corner rooms behind the fire escape in the west wing if you are a deep sleeper.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed August 4, 2011

The Hotel Vancouver is one of my favourite hotels in the world. The combination of character, comfort, service and location in the exciting heart of Vancouver is hard to beat. There are more luxurious hotels in Vancouver, but few with the same sense of history and elegance. Nicely added pool and workout facility. Fairmont seems to be able to have created a genuine culture of caring, pride and ownership, and at the HV, this comes together in a lovely hotel that is a pleasure to stay at whether on business or for fun. Oh, yeah. Now with the new airport Skytrain link, you are a short walk to the downtown station and then 28 minutes to the airport. Amazingly convenient and inexpensive.

Room Tip: All the rooms are fine, but request a corner room; they are larger, lighter and often have great vie...
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Candonjan
HotelVan, General Manager at Fairmont Hotel Vancouver, responded to this reviewResponded August 9, 2011

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share your wonderful feedback regarding your recent stay. I am delighted that you chose to stay at our iconic property on your recent visit to our slice of paradise in the Pacific Northwest. Your kind words will be shared with my team and we look forward to welcoming you back to our “Castle in the heart of the city” in the near future.

Mark S. Andrew
Regional Vice President Pacific Northwest & General Manager

Reviewed August 4, 2011

You simply can not beat the location of this downtown hotel. We did have some trouble with a breakfast not arriving for 45 minutes but they took care of it OK. Some attitude with children spoeaking at Concierge and generally ot being respected as guests.

Will definately try one of the other 2 Fairmonths in Vancouver next time.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
HotelVan, Front Office Manager at Fairmont Hotel Vancouver, responded to this reviewResponded August 9, 2011

Dear Guest,
Please allow me to introduce myself, my name is Vince Chow and I am the Director of Front Office Operations at The Fairmont Hotel Vancouver. Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback from your recent stay. I am disappointed to hear about your experience and would very much appreciate the opportunity to speak to you directly. Could I ask that you email me with contact information so I can reach you via telephone or email to discuss your stay? My email is: vince.chow@fairmont.com.

Once again, thank you for sharing your feedback allowing us the chance to meet and exceed our services to you.

Yours sincerely,

Vince Chow
Director of Front Office Operations
The Fairmont Hotel Vancouver

Reviewed August 3, 2011

We just returned from an extended stay at The Fairmont Hotel Vancouver.
Pros:
- Debbie and David at the concierges desk were wonderful and booked us great adventures.
- Nathan and Mary in the 900 West Lounge gave us outstanding service, Nathan got us food when we were starving and the kitchen was already closed.
- The welcome committee, two Goldens, were sweet and friendly.
-The food was outstanding in both the lounge and resaurant as well as at our conference luncheons and coffee breaks.
- Great location, close to the Canada Line train to the airport, shopping, and everything downtown.
Cons:
- Very expensive hotel for the small hotel room provided, $41 added to each day in taxes.
- Our room had very dirty carpet with old furnishings.
- Our room had a folding table with items for sale on sensors so you would be charged if items were removed, one was even a cheesy stuffed animal that we couldn't help but knock over because our luggage rack was right next to the table, ugh!
- The bathroom was very dated, while on the commode you can lean on the sink to relax because the bathroom is so small. There is nowhere to put anything except on a wabbly shelf behind the door so when you have your robe or towels hanging on the door it knocks everything off the shelf.
- It took 5-10 minutes to get hot water, we took showers luke warm and got scalded when the water finally did get hot.
- Fifth floor hallway was also dirty and smelled like sewage or garbage.
- Elevator lighted arrows on the floors were burned out so when an elevator did arrive you had to run to catch the door if you were lucky.
- Upon arrival our room was not ready at check in time, we had to wait two hours which we were given some comp food and drinks for but we really wanted to get to our room after a long day of traveling.
- Bring your own computer, if you want to pay $15+ a day for internet in your room and it costs to use the internet in the business office too. Printers were out of order to print boarding passes, ink empty.
- Bathrooms on the conference floor were in need of attention every time I used them.

Room Tip: Our room was #591, needs cleaning and remodeling bad, great city view and of the fireworks over Engi...
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed August 2, 2011

we loved our stay at the Hotel Vancouver, what a great piece of Rail road history, we had a very roomy corner suite, with beautiful decoration, friendly & help full staff ( typical Fairmont )the Griffin Restaurant has good selection for fresh food. love to go back again

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 2, 2011

I was in Vancouver for a cousin's wedding and stayed at the Fairmont. The location of this hotel was fantastic, but I was dissapointed in the lack of upkeep in the room. When we first checked in, one of the beds was stained with dried blood which we immediately had housekeeping come in to change. Not a good impression on such a famous hotel.
Second, I paid the correct amount for the hotel room, however I was charged an extra $800 on top of what I was suppose to pay on my credit card. It took forever to get someone to straighten it out and I was once again dissapointed with the lack of service and care the staff gave me. Apparently, there was a glitch in the system and for some unknown reason the hotel charged me - doesn't make it sound very safe does it? The hotel didn't even apologize for the stress it caused as that dipped into my spending money and the headache to figure out what went on.

1  Thank MaNg1314

Dear Guest,
My sincere thanks for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your recent stay here at The Fairmont Hotel Vancouver; it is through constructive responses such as yours that we are better able to serve you in the future. I would like to extend my apologies on behalf of the hotel for the experience that you encountered during your recent stay. I am following up with my Front Office and Housekeeping teams on the unacceptable condition of your room on arrival and with my Accounting department to ascertain the reason for what occurred with your billing. Regardless of the reason behind the occurrence, the service you received is far from the level we strive to offer to our guests and this is not something that I will be taking lightly.

My thanks to you once again for taking the time to share your feedback with me.

Mark S. Andrew