“Grand looking but noisy”

Fairmont Hotel Vancouver
Ranked #32 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
Canberra
“Grand looking but noisy”
Reviewed July 19, 2011

Stayed in this hotel as part of the Rocky Mountaineer Train package. The hotel looks very grand and opulent but if you are looking for a nice quiet room to get some sleep this is not the place. The room we had was nice but all night we could hear the family next door and the traffic on the street. As the hotel is old I assume the sound proofing is very inadequate and is in desperate need of upgrading. Beds not too comfortable either - too soft for my liking and seem a bit worn. Overall disappointing for the price

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
HotelVan, General Manager at Fairmont Hotel Vancouver, responded to this review, July 29, 2011
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback from your recent stay at The Fairmont Hotel Vancouver. I am distressed to hear that your experience was not up to your expectations and I can assure you that I am following up with my team here at the hotel.
I am pleased to share with you that our hotel is in the process of renovating a number of our bedrooms and guest areas over the coming months. Your constructive feedback allows us to focus and implement action on the priority areas such as recently completed upgrades of new double glazed windows in our guestrooms, to reduce noise from the city. We are constantly making improvements throughout the hotel to ensure that we can provide a memorable stay for our valued guests.

I hope when the next opportunity presents itself for you to visit Vancouver, you will be able to return to the hotel and experience these changes for yourself.

My thanks to you once again for taking the time to share your feedback with me.

Mark S. Andrew
Regional Vice President Pacific Northwest & General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (587)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Vancouver, BC
Reviewed July 13, 2011

I like to think that I am pretty attentive to reviewing places that I've stayed at, but I've stayed at the Fairmont Hotel Vancouver *more* than my fair share this year and have been neglectful in my reviewing duties because it's never disappointed me.

My most recent stay at the Fairmont Hotel Vancouver was on July 10th, 2011 as I was in town on business and needed a great stay. I stayed in Room 1253, I paid for a Fairmont Room but it seemed larger than most Fairmont Rooms I've stayed in. The room has undergone the recent renovations they are going through with lovely colour choices (Royal Purple, Gold and Creams and Whites) which brings it to Classic Modern Elegance.

I pulled up late in the evening, valeted my vehicle and did curbside check-in (which I love of course). Upon arrival I was presented with a coupon for 15% dining or 25% off in Room Dining and it was as if they had read my mind. I freshed up a bit and then ordered a simple Prime Rib Burger and Gingerale from the In Room Dining Menu. The gentleman that took my order said it would be up in 30 minutes, at 9:30PM. As if by clockwork at 9:30 there was a knock at my door with a delightful girl with my dinner waiting.

Now it could have been that I had an exhausting day and it was getting late, but I swear that was the best burger I have ever had. The spiced fries were very nice as well.

With food in my stomach I closed the drapes on the two large windows in the room and crawled into my comfortable bed for the night.

Fairmont Hotel Vancouver, you have never disappointed me or not exceeded my expectations. Your staff are always fantastic and professional and you always seem to anticipate my needs. Thank you - I'm warning you; I'll be back!

Room Tip: Tip to get the best room, I know for sure the 2nd and 12th floors of the hotel have been renovated a...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Amber H
Alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed July 11, 2011

Stayed here for a weekend in May. Very pleasantly surprised that the room was updated and modern even though this is a old hotel. Extremely nice bathroom. Very comfortable bed. Excellent location for dining and getting around city. Excellent view from room. Would definitely stay here again. We saw the dogs in the lobby but did not get the chance to walk one on this trip. But, they were adorable. Parking was pricey but this is the norm for Vancouver.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Troon, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 10, 2011

The Fairmont Vancouver hotel is a 'grand' building situated in the centre of downtown Vancouver. Like a number of Fairmont hotels it is an ex-CPR hotel built during the railway era with acertain amount of opulence.
Entering the hotel, it has an expansive lobby with upmarket shopping stores on site. We found the staff on reception helpful and welcoming. The time and date of our arrival coincided with a Stanley Cup hockey game so hotel and bar area were noisy and crowded.
We were given a room on the 11th floor with views over a section of downtown. The room was a good size although the bathroom was on the small side.
We found the concierge helpful in booking trips and in detailing how to use the skytrain and bus network which is excellent.
The breakfast was exactly as experienced in our stay in the Fairmont Empress, Victoria, excellent, with a choice of buffet or a la carte. The dining room offered dinner at 50% off the a la carte menu before 6pm and a fixed price table d'hote menu for $23. We had dinner on two occasions during our weeks stay, but dined out otherwise in the vast choice of restaurants in the vicinity.
In conclusion, if you are looking for a hotel with excellent service, and offering something different from modern concrete towers, then the Fairmont Vancouver is certainly worth considering.
If we return to Vancouver on holiday we would certainly stay in the Fairmont Vancouver hotel again, but ensure it did not coincide with the end of the ice hockey season after experiencing the riots and chaos resulting from the final game of the Stanley Cup.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 9, 2011

The hotel is shop worn and lacks intimacy. The rooms are dated. Small antiquated baths and no room safes. There better choices in the city. Fairmont needs to give this property some attention

• Stayed July 2011
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed July 8, 2011

I travel often for both business and pleasure. I stayed a night in early July. I am a President's Club member and was supposed to get a high floor but ended up with a low floor. Not a big deal as the room was the same but they should give you what you have booked. Anyhow, the guy at check in was efficient and friendly. The room is very large (suite room) and has a nice large bedroom. The bathroom is nice but kind of small. Their beds are not very good. Too soft and I would imagine getting a little old. I would expect a much nicer bed in a $300/night room. Next time I will return to the River Rock Resort and Casino across the river in nearby Richmond. It costs about $100/night less and has a casino, nicer rooms and their beds are the best! My overall judgement of a hotel is always about the bed as it is the most important piece of furniture in the room and you have the room to eventually sleep.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed July 7, 2011

A week-long business trip to Vancouver had me stay at the Fairmont Hotel Vancouver, located right downtown in the heart of the city. Check-in was very quick and easy, and I was in the room within just a few minutes of arriving.

The room, with a wonderful west view, was larger than expected. I appreciated the very fast wireless internet and the extremely comfortable king bed, with Egyptian cotton bedding. The bathroom appeared to have been recently renovated, for it was absolutely, utterly spotless, with what appeared to be all-new fixtures and a new granite counter. Towels were abundant and very plush. Turn-down service each night came as an unexpected surprise.

A number of Fairmont properties have dogs on site, serving as hotel ambassadors, and this includes the Fairmont Hotel Vancouver. Although I did not take advantage of the opportunity to take Beau (a very sweet and friendly yellow lab) out for walks, I did enjoy being greeted by her on many afternoons. What a wonderful touch.

The Hotel Vancouver is a very large, turn-of-the-century building and (I believe) a former CP Rail hotel. It looks completely grand and majestic from the street, yet feels new and fresh inside. It is an extremely well maintained property, and the staff excellent.

This was not my first stay at the Fairmont Hotel Vancouver, nor will it be my last. Great hotel that could not be better located.

Room Tip: Rooms located on the north side of the building offer the best view of the mountains. Request a high...
  • Stayed February 2011, traveled on business