“Rooms need refurbishing”

Ranked #31 of 89 Hotels in Vancouver
South East
“Rooms need refurbishing”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2007

We were staying at the hotel as part of our anniversary celebration.With taxes of 16%, our room came to almost $400.00 US. We were given an upgrade(Free to join President's club) to a two room traditional suite but in an older area on the 5th floor. The carpet and furnishing were very worn in the room and the drapes looked sad. Bath adequate(no counter space) but small( plumbing moaned loudly when turned on). It appeared the renovations bragged on were put into the large, marbled floor lobby, bar lounge, etc. The highlight was the 2 dogs who are dressed in Fairmont vests and who lazily welcome guests by the consierge desk. Staff not plentiful or seeing to the personal touches we have had at other hotels, including Fairmonts. Walked to the indoor pool and fitness area just to see. OK. Ate dinner on the main shopping street and enjoyed a walk down to the water...but due to construction, you will need to walk around it. If time Stanley Island, a long walk or short cab ride, highly recommended. By the way, all our taxi drivers were very courteous. Fare from airport to Fairmont was $28.00 US
Very expensive shops share the city block with the Fairmont and Tiffany's is right across the street. I commented at the President's desk as to the very worn furnishings as we left and she said she would make note of it.

• Liked — Got an upgrade
  • Disliked — Rooms need refurbishing
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank planned

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (562)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Washington, DC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2007

I stayed in this hotel for a conference and would return any time. The location is superb, rooms are large and comfortable, and service is great. Early in the morning I heard some odd plumbing noises, but none was too distracting. The hotel has a lovely restaurant that I would come to even if not staying there. Also, the Absolute Spa on the premises is wonderful. Best of all, to me, were the two dogs who spend their days next to the concierge desk. You can borrow them to go for walks, and they are very calm and friendly to those who wish to greet them. This was a great value in a wonderful city and I hope to return often.

• Liked — location, comfort, easy checkin, dogs!!, restaurant
  • Disliked — wallpaper, etc., little tired
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank tulipina
Freehold, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2007

My mom and I spent two nights at the Fairmont Hotel Vancouver before our Alaska cruise. This was our first stay there, and we were very pleased. The hotel is very clean, and our double room, #709, looked out over the front of the art musuem. The beds were very comfortable, it was easy to adjust the air conditioning, the room was very quiet, high-speed internet access is free if you are a member of the President's Club (free to join), the bathroom lacked storage space but the amenities, nonskid bath mat, robes and hair dryer were very much appreciated, and because we booked through a Virtuoso agent, we were able to get a great rate with breakfast included (normally $26 per person). There is a coffee maker in the room and a large, flat-screen television. My mom especially enjoyed the dogs, Mavis and Beau, who hang out in the lobby during the day. The hotel is well located near Robson Street and only a few blocks from Canada Place. The airport shuttle bus stops at this hotel (we took a cab). I would stay there again if I could get a similar or better rate.

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — Lack of storage space in bathroom
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2007

Personally, I don't like Fairmont hotels, but rate of 107.00 was pretty good and location is excellent. I don't like their English elegance , "Ms. Marple" style with flower wallpaper and matching bedding, lemony shampoos and body lotions. Speaking of bedding, that was incredible! Down pillows and comforters, great mattress, I slept like a baby. Hotel is little bit run down considering their Fairmont name and I don't understand who pays 300$ per night to stay here. I forgot my digital camera, they did sent it back, but they charged me 20$ for postage when actual postage was 6$. Very classy.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank skeletoncrew
UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2007

My husband and I spent 3 nights here in late June. We printed the driving directions from the hotel's web site and they were very easy to follow, on our arrival and departure.

There is almost no difference in cost ($2 CA ish) between the Valet parking and self parking so I recommend opting for the Valet service. Check in was quite busy in the middle of the afternoon but the line moved quickly. Our travel agent had booked us a twin room despite us requesting a king sized bed and sadly the hotel would not move us from the twin room. They did offer us one of the Club rooms though, at standard advertised price! We declined.

Our room was very comfortable and clean. To be honest we spent so little time in it as there is so much to do in and around Vancouver. The hotel has a perfect location, next to the shops and restaurants on Robson Street and just a short walk to the Harbourfront Centre in the opposite direction. We did not eat in the hotel but did have drinks several times also and treated ourselves to the speciality chocolate fondue one evening (an indulgence not to be missed). The swimming pool and gym were well equipped.

All the staff we encountered were polite and helpful and the hotel's dog in the main lobby was a hit with most guests! Overall this elegant hotel offers quite good value for money and is ideally placed for exploring all that Vancouver has to offer.

• Liked — The Chocolate fondue!!!
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank bonjovirock
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2007

Hotel is very nice and the service it out of this world. I was very impressed with the level of service from everyone. They were always very nice, helpful, and friendly. One tip is to go online and register for the "president's club" before booking as you may get upgraded to the club level floor when you arrive if available. You also have a special check in desk. The rooms are nice, but they are a bit smaller than one would expect for the rates. The beds/pillows are terrific. I slept so well every night. As other people have stated, the location is terrific.
I would stay at this property again.

• Liked — Service and location
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with friends
1 Thank BILLJ_GA
El Paso
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2007

Wow! What a great hotel! From the minute you walk in, the front desk agents are extremely courteous and helpful! We were also upgraded to a room on a much higher floor, thanks to the agent for that! The Lobby is gorgeous, lots of people taking advantage of the piano lounge there. The room we got was on the 12th floor, it was more like a suite. Someone on tripadvisor posted a horrible review of the beds here? Trust me, quite the opposite is true! I've never had a full nights sleep like I did the 2 nights I was at this hotel! WONDERFUL beds! The location was amazing. A block from Robsun street- easy access to lots of diverse restaurants, shops, and sights. The only negative thing is the Parking rate at the hotel. Self parking is 33 CAD. A bit too much considering the costs of the rooms, but I saw no other options around the hotel, and was happy to pay just to know my car was safe and close by.
The staff is amazing, concierge desk also extremely helpful. I am a travel agent, and Im glad I was able to experience such a wonderful time at this hotel, I will most definitely be recommending it to all my clients.

• Liked — the bed!! wow, what beds here!!
  • Disliked — Only the parking rates.
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple