“top 10 in Vancouver”

The Oakwood Canadian Bistro
Reserve with OpenTable
The Oakwood Canadian Bistro is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #16 of 3,948 Restaurants in Vancouver
Cuisines: Canadian
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Kitsilano
Cross street: MacDonald
Transit: Bus stops within a block
Reviewed November 15, 2013

5 out of 5!, only reserved for top 5% of its kind. We came for dinner.
Service was attentive but not overly and the food was delicious, The price was very reasonable.
For some, the servings might be a little on the small side but this is not a problem for our group.
Among our orders were the cream of artichoke soup, kale salad, tagliatelle pasta, halibut cheeks and cornish hen. All recommended. Contrary to some review comments, the veggies that came with the kale salad and some other dishes were not deep fried but roasted which is much more preferable and healthier.
Car parking is available free by the roadside. The music was a little too loud for my liking, and the lighting could be brighter to make reading the menu easier. Small issues, really.
Make your reservation several days ahead to be sure of it.

Reviewed November 9, 2013

We ate here today. The food was very good, but check the menu before you head here for lunch on a Saturday -- it's very limited and definitely not for everyone. Service just ok.

Reviewed October 26, 2013

The brunch here was very good. As I'm trying to throw in as much contribution to Trip Advisor as I can due to the site being invaluable in finding good restaurants on my recent trip to Lima, this review is of a meal I've had almost a year ago. I don't remember what I ordered, might have been the corned beef hash dish. It was great and I probably could've licked off the plate.
If you care at all about the space itself, the interior of the restaurant is well designed. For a fine dining establishment, it felt very rustic ... so I didn't feel like I was in a hoyty toyty bowtie restaurant. If no one was there I would felt comfortable to lick the plate clean.

Reviewed October 20, 2013

We liked the atmosphere even though it was noisy; it was fun and lively.
The food was good but generally quite unhealthy.
I had the warm kale salad was it was VERY tasty but it had so many deep fried veggies in it, it was unhealthy.
Service was good, food was great tasting but be careful many items are deep fried.

1  Thank swiss_ladybug
Reviewed October 19, 2013

Oakwood Canadian Bistro is not a huge restaurant. It has a nice feel, and there's a fireplace at the far end of the dining room, which is nice for those cold nights. I went to the Oakwood for the first time with a group of 8 of us, and we were seated at the communal table. The restaurant menu is designed for plate sharing, and it's a fun idea that provides diners who want to try different foods a large variety of dishes. We split our group of 8 into 2 for ordering and sharing purposes. Our first dish was the seared tuna served with jicama. It was very good. The tuna was prepared perfectly, and the accompaniment of the slightly sweet and crunchy jicama was a tasty compliment. Next came the warm kale salad with cauliflower, and this ended up being a table favorite. Each part of the dish was flavorful and well done. We ordered a total of 8 different items for sharing with my friends--too many to write about, but I will say that my group of 4 was envious of our friends who order the All Canadian Poutine. The aroma made its way down the table, and it was definitely something I'd want to order on another visit. Our server was top notch--totally professional and efficient.

1  Thank Betty D