“Excellent Brunch”

The Oakwood Canadian Bistro
Reserve with OpenTable
The Oakwood Canadian Bistro is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #23 of 3,978 Restaurants in Vancouver
Cuisines: Canadian
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Kitsilano
Cross street: MacDonald
Transit: Bus stops within a block
Reviewed October 26, 2013

The brunch here was very good. As I'm trying to throw in as much contribution to Trip Advisor as I can due to the site being invaluable in finding good restaurants on my recent trip to Lima, this review is of a meal I've had almost a year ago. I don't remember what I ordered, might have been the corned beef hash dish. It was great and I probably could've licked off the plate.
If you care at all about the space itself, the interior of the restaurant is well designed. For a fine dining establishment, it felt very rustic ... so I didn't feel like I was in a hoyty toyty bowtie restaurant. If no one was there I would felt comfortable to lick the plate clean.

Reviewed October 20, 2013

We liked the atmosphere even though it was noisy; it was fun and lively.
The food was good but generally quite unhealthy.
I had the warm kale salad was it was VERY tasty but it had so many deep fried veggies in it, it was unhealthy.
Service was good, food was great tasting but be careful many items are deep fried.

1  Thank swiss_ladybug
Reviewed October 19, 2013

Oakwood Canadian Bistro is not a huge restaurant. It has a nice feel, and there's a fireplace at the far end of the dining room, which is nice for those cold nights. I went to the Oakwood for the first time with a group of 8 of us, and we were seated at the communal table. The restaurant menu is designed for plate sharing, and it's a fun idea that provides diners who want to try different foods a large variety of dishes. We split our group of 8 into 2 for ordering and sharing purposes. Our first dish was the seared tuna served with jicama. It was very good. The tuna was prepared perfectly, and the accompaniment of the slightly sweet and crunchy jicama was a tasty compliment. Next came the warm kale salad with cauliflower, and this ended up being a table favorite. Each part of the dish was flavorful and well done. We ordered a total of 8 different items for sharing with my friends--too many to write about, but I will say that my group of 4 was envious of our friends who order the All Canadian Poutine. The aroma made its way down the table, and it was definitely something I'd want to order on another visit. Our server was top notch--totally professional and efficient.

1  Thank Betty D
Reviewed October 11, 2013

We are always looking for amazing and creative food served in casual, energetic, and hip spaces and Oakwood fits the bill. The food is incredibly well done. Familiar foods that are elevated to the point that at every bite I was saying "wow". Most of the tables are high tops, but not all. The music is modern and appropriately loud. There is energy in the room but not too loud. The wine list is good. Highly recommended.

1  Thank ABfromTOR
Reviewed October 6, 2013 via mobile

We came for a quick bite, the food was spectacular to say the least. Service was really good, It's not very often I ask for Perrier and get something even better, freshly made carbonated water. Falls in line with all the fresh ingredients used! The ambience was the topping in the cake, absolutely lovely. A must go, I'll be telling everyone about this place.

1  Thank Julia770