“Imaginative tasty food in a relaxed setting”

The Oakwood Canadian Bistro
Reserve with OpenTable
The Oakwood Canadian Bistro is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #24 of 3,945 Restaurants in Vancouver
Cuisines: Canadian
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Kitsilano
Cross street: MacDonald
Transit: Bus stops within a block
Reviewed June 11, 2013

What a great little neighbourhood restaurant. Very relaxed atmosphere, friendly laid-back staff but very serious cuisine. Loved the sharing ethos with dishes arriving when ready, works really well for a couple but maybe not for a large group. And I agree with other reviewers that the tables really are packed together, although I didn't find it particularly intrusive. I'm nit-picking - the food was delicious and very imaginatively presented. Desserts (served in mason jars) a slight let-down, although the rhubarb crumble was as good as I've tasted. Not the cheapest, but given the quality of the food, reasonable. Would I go back? - definitely.

3  Thank tenpercent

Reviewed June 7, 2013

Food, service and ambiance all worked so well together. Awesome bourbon sour and the best brisket I have ever had, anywhere. Octopus was really unique - in a really good way.

2  Thank Ian M
Reviewed June 5, 2013

The Oakwood Canadian Bistro fits the definition of a neighborhood gastro pub. The restaurant is decorated industrial style and the atmosphere is very relaxing. Tables are on top of each other so not the best place for intimate conversation.
The food is meant to be shared and it's brought to the table as the dishes are ready, rather than in unison.
Menu is modern Canadian and the food is craftfuly made.
I started with the pepper brioche and maple butter... Simply delicious. The brioche was freshly made and cooked to perfection. The maple butter was heavenly!! Mix of sweet and savory with hints of bacon.
The beet salad with vanilla goat cheese and pistachios was very nice too. Colorful dish with a nice assortment of contrasting flavors.
The poutine with beef brisket was nice. Not the best I've had but nicely executed.
The chimichurri steak and bone marrow was the one dish that, in my opinion, needs to be better balanced. The plate consists of sliced steak (wich in my case was slightly over cooked), a serving on bone marrow and chips. All over a thin layer of chimichurri. The bone marrow was nice but needed something to balance its richness.

2  Thank Jonathan F
Reviewed May 26, 2013

I had the Dungeness crab benny and my husband had the maple confit pork belly...both were absolutely delish! We would go back again for brunch! I saw the dinner menu, but the brunch menu looked more appealing.

2  Thank KAVIKAKAVIKA
Reviewed May 26, 2013 via mobile

Ate here while in town for 2 days prior to a cruise. Great good & the waiter was awesome. Recommended a great beer to my husband, talked about the area (his mom lives on Granville island), made food recommendations. Very good service!

Food was AMAZING! All dishes are to share and come at different times. Started with pork rinds, followed by poutine (unusual with brisket on top) which was so awesome we ordered seconds. Followed by a great burger. We were so full we didn't get to try the duck dish or dessert. Looking for something local? This is it! Long, healthy walk from Canada place. Took a cab back as we had played tourist all day. Ride back was under 15 CAD. They will call for you. Highly recommend!!

1  Thank madtowngrl