“Long awaited visit here” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Oakwood Canadian Bistro

The Oakwood Canadian Bistro
2741 West 4th Avenue, Vancouver, British Columbia v6p1k9, Canada (Kitsilano)
+1 604-558-1965
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #19 of 3,492 Restaurants in Vancouver
Cuisines: Bar, Canadian, Gluten Free
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Brunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Kitsilano
Cross street: MacDonald
Transit: Bus stops within a block
Almeria, Spain
“Long awaited visit here”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

My son & his wife often go for brunch but had not been for dinner until my visit so we didn´t know what to expect. Well it has a very different menu, and not a lot to my taste, I am a picky eater, but I had a burger, my first in like forever, and it was perfectly cooked, succulent and I enjoyed it. Salads were lovely.
There were 8 of us dining so a varied selection of food came to the table, and I did try the chips with cheese on and meat slices, which was very good.
The owner Mike came over to the table to see if we were satisfied with the selection, empty plates spoke volumes. He went to all tables, a nice personal touch, makes people feel important and valued, a nice gesture.
We had a server named Laurel who took our large order without writing it down, amazed us all at her memory and she got it all correct. Chef is busy in the background you can see the kitchen, very contemporary feel which works with the trendy clientele this place attracts. The place really has a buzz about it.
Desserts were fantastic we shared 3 desserts between 4 of us and were still raring to try more.
Great experience, and I will be back on my next visit to Vancouver.

• Visited May 2013

“Great share plates”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013 via mobile

I have fallen in love with this place. You must have the warm kale salad. I'm a meat eater, but if all vegetarian food tasted like this I would convert and never look back. My other favorite is the (in house) smoked brisket pontine -wow! The flavor s are intense. Reservations are recommended on weekends, otherwise I would have been here several more times to fulfill my cravings.

Gem Baysan

Visited April 2013
Vancouver, Canada
“Good but very small portions”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013 via mobile

We had a reservation a 9pm on a Saturday night. We arrived at 8:55 but still had to wait for another 20 - 25 mins before our table was ready. The resaturant apologized but they didn't ask if we wanted to get some drinks while waiting (they have a full sized bar). Not a good first impression.

The menu offers selections starting from $5 to $45. I ordered the flatiron steak with sunchook chips and my partner ordered the house tagliatelle. Our server said the steak is a 6oz portion, but it certainly feels like a lot less. Both dishes were delicious. Unfortunately the portions were so small that we each had to order another dish (we are by no means big eater). The fried octopus and tuna raw were again, very delicious and small portions . As for dessert, we ordered the lemon meringue and it was a little bit disaapointing. The meringue was so sweet that we had to stop eating it before it was half consumed.

Our bill came to $30 per person before drinks, tax and tips. It's reasonable but their menu gives other a false impression that you can have a full and satisfied meal for $20. The overall service was friendly, atmosphere was energectic, and food quality was quite impressive. We will return to this place if we were in the neighbourhood again.

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
Vancouver, Canada
“YUM!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

The food here is outstanding. The quality is comparable Le Crocodile and better than some of the Global Group restaurants (sorry guys! I just wrote a great review for Black and Blue and love Coast but it's true) which generally charge a lot more. I love the fish dish with the egg on top and have yet to try brunch at the Oakwood but the menu looks amazing. The service is always good and the room is awesome. Great drinks too. If you like wine you'll love the Cakebread Cab Sauv. I'll be back soon!

• Visited April 2013
Toronto, Canada
“Amazing service...menu needs a reboot”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Dined here in April and had last summer as well. Found everything on the menu almost over-complicated. Tough to find things to eat that weren't high fat fusions. Everything is delicious but those watching waistline, beware. The kale salad was drowning in sour cream or such. Some offerings that are deliciously simple, fresh and light would go a long way here. We are foodies extraordinaire who've dined at the finest worldwide. Don't get me wrong, the food + service are top notch. But I struggled to find things to eat as cant do tuna, and didn't want to waddle out.

• Visited April 2013