“Somewhat disappointed!”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Laziza Modern Mediterranean - CLOSED

Laziza Modern Mediterranean
Neighborhood: Davie Village
Description: Morroccan Inspired Atmosphere,Great Quality and Service and a Buzzing Vibe
Grand Cayman
“Somewhat disappointed!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2013

In doing research for my trip to Vancouver, I wanted to enjoy a top Mediterranean restaurant and Laziza was first on my list. Sadly I was a little disappointed and it did not measure up to my expectations based on previous reviews. I visited the restaurant on a Thursday night during Dine Out and it was busy when I arrived.

I was asked to wait at the bar, while my table was being set and no-one asked me if I wanted a drink. As soon as I was seated I was given water, asked about a drink and given the Menus. I decided to forego dessert and rather have two appetizers. I ordered Hummus ($6) served with fresh pita bread and Crispy Cauliflower served with a sesame dip ($8). The Hummus was nice, but not out of the ordinary, but when paired with the Crispy Cauliflower it improved both dishes.

For my Entree I ordered Chicken Bedouin ($15), which was good, Strips of chicken breast sauteed with raisins, walnuts, figs, dates, apricots and mushrooms flavoured with cumin, a pomegranate reduction and drizzled with honey. Served on a bed of cous cous. This was the kind of dish I was expecting from Laziza and was not disappointed.

After coffee, I took my leave and headed back to my hotel.

The negatives for me were mainly the service and in my opinion, they were one server short. The two ladies worked very hard and were assisted by the barman as well - another pair of hands would have made the experience much better. I also battled to get my check paid and eventually had to go to the bar to do so. And some milk spilled over the table never got cleaned.

I have rated the restaurant Average, but if the kinks in service are addressed it would be Good.

• Visited January 2013
2 Thank CaymanBacchus

iflyalotornot
“Gem in The Village”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2013 via mobile

New favorite hidden gem on Davie Street. Been here twice a d will continue to come back as long as the food is as good as it is!

Service is very good to excellent, food is unique with bean and gluten free options!

I will be back!!!

Also found a coupon on the Bandit App!

Kirkland, Washington
“Great Tagines”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2013

We had a dinner of two different chicken tagine dishes. Both were excellent. Atmosphere and service were great. We will come again when we visit Vancouver next time.

• Visited December 2012
iflyalotornot
“Friendly, friendly, friendly”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2012

I'm good with this place, unique change from the standard 'ol fare on Davie Street. Visually appealing room, friendly service (even tho they gave my friends gluten free order to another table by mistake, replacing hers, one with gluten).
I would go back, just not right away.

• Visited December 2012
“tasty and gluten-free friendly”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2012

First of all, don't miss the fried cauliflower appetizer. Amazing. The Mezza platter is also very good. Chicken provencale was very tasty, though the prawns in the dish were a bit overdone. This place can get very noisy when it's crowded. Almost everything here is gluten-free (example: tabouli is made with quinoa) and what isn't (pita chips) is readily substituted for (corn chips).

• Visited November 2012