“Cheerfully guides you beyond the auto setting” 5 of 5 bubbles

Gastown Night Photography Tour
Ranked #25 of 157 Tours in Vancouver
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Photowalks are the best way to see our beautiful city, learn and practice the basics of photography, and get out of the automatic setting on your camera! In two hours, we cover exposure, ISO, shutter speed, aperture, composition and basic portraiture. You are guaranteed to have a ton of FUN! Lead by a professional photographer, you are given tools, and an opportunity to explore a scenic area (Stanley Park, Canada Place, Chinatown, Gastown, Strathcona and Granville Island) with your camera, and given small learning objectives. Introductory classes are offered during the day, and more intermediate low-light classes in the evening.
Vancouver, Canada
“Cheerfully guides you beyond the auto setting”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2013

Suzanne meets you where you are and encourages you each step of the way, cheerfully and positively. She got me over the hump of being intimidated by my camera. I'm less insecure about what I'm doing and more hopeful and confident I can take good shots beyond the auto setting. I'm still straddling the fence between auto and manual but she helped me throw my leg over and hopefully I'll hop over the other side soon. Like a good friend would be, she's patient, kind and just boils it down for you. She's adaptable and entertained any question I had and we still finished on time. Watch the video, as it gives you an idea of your time together. Wish I lived here so I could take more of her classes!

Visited July 2013
feelingphotosuz, Owner at Vancouver Photo Walks, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Hi,
Thank you for the review! Photography is definitely a journey rather than a destination, and my goal with Vancouver Photowalks is to help people get closer to where they want to be. I'm delighted that you are now closer to manual than before...and if your goal is use your camera in full manual, come back before you leave! :)
Thank you!

Los Angeles
56 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“Really Great Experience!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2013

I am a beginner in photography and Suzanne was super patient and helpful. It was also a great tour around the downtown area and got to see a few tourist highlights in the area. If you want tips on how to take better pictures, use the functions on your camera, and improve composition, this class is fantastic. Suzanne is very knowledgable about DSLR cameras and a great teacher. Would highly recommend this to locals or visitors!

Visited July 2013
suzrushton, Owner at Vancouver Photo Walks, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
I'm so happy you not only had a great time but also learned things about photography and your camera! I'm all about efficiency and love combining experiences, entertainment and education. Thanks for your stellar review, I certainly hope to see you again sometime. Happy shooting!!
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Great way to see Vancouver and learn how to use your Camera.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2013

What a great Tour! Suzanne was really sweet and accommodating. Walking around Canada Place and GasTown with her was a treat and learning how to finally use our Digital SLR is paying dividends on every photo we have taken since. I highly recommend this tour, you'll come away with great memories and even better pictures!

Can we take it again? :)

Visited June 2013
suzrushton, Owner at Vancouver Photo Walks, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Wow, I'm honoured (oops, sorry, honored) ;) that you got so much from the tour! I would love to see some of those amazing shots. Thanks for the recommendations and review, I am eternally grateful, but mostly I am pleased that you've taken away skills to help you improve the rest of your photography! Yes...come back and take it again!
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fantastic guide”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2013

Suzanne was a fantastic guide and teacher! She was great at helping each photographer find the features we were using on their specific camera no matter what the make or model. I learned all the things I was hoping to about my DSLR and its functions. There was plenty of time for questions and one-on-one teaching. Suzanne's friendliness and approachability made this photo walk a great experience.

Visited June 2013
Thanks so much for the review!! It's certainly fun getting to know every single digital camera under the sun. I'm delighted that you got your questions answered, and also felt that the group was small enough that you got personal attention. Mission accomplished! Thanks for uploading a photo, too, and I hope to see you again. Happy shooting!
Cairns, Australia
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“An Amazing Tour!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013 via mobile

This past weekend I had the pleasure of getting to know Suzanne Rushton, the owner of Vancouver Photo Walks. I went on two photo walks, the Gastown Night Walk and the Fisherman's Whatf Walk. I am an intermediate level photographer who is working on getting to know my new Nikon D7100 body and Suzanne was a huge help. She had some excellent tips for me and I learnt about some features on my camera that I had never used before. What a wonderful experience!

Visited June 2013
suzrushton, Owner at Vancouver Photo Walks, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
I greatly appreciate your input, especially as someone more experienced in photography! You helped me up my game for teaching and also lead me to learn more about your camera, which will come in very handy. Loved meeting you and hope to see you again!
~ Suzanne