“Awesome place if you smoke weed apparently”

Sandman Hotel Vancouver City Centre
Ranked #72 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
Reviewed February 19, 2014

I stayed at the Sandman for one night on Feb. 14th because I was going to a concert that night. My friend booked it because it was close to the arena... probably the only good thing about the hotel.

It took my friend over an hour to check in. Luckily, I missed that part. Once I got there, I waited for what felt like forever for an elevator. One finally came and when I got inside, I noticed that I needed a key card to get to my floor. It was just a magical feeling to wait forever for no reason at all. I had to call my friend and she had to come and meet me in the lobby. 11 floors and two elevators. If you're in any kind of hurry, just stay on the second floor and take the stairs, which are conveniently located outside.

The room was nice. I will give them that. The buttons on the remote control for the tv were a little sticky and the time on the alarm clock wasn't even set. But over all it was clean and quite nice.

When we got back from the disgusting display of public self-loving that was the Miley Cyrus concert, our entire floor and room stunk like pot. It was overwhelming. Neither my friend or myself smoke it so we found it to be quite bothersome. We actually have to leave the hotel for a couple of hours. We complained about it to the front desk and we were assured that it would be taken care of. Ready for a huge surprise? Nothing was done. Not a damn thing. We were told that since they couldn't figure out which room it was coming from, we just had to "deal with it." Apparently they don't teach you how to knock on doors and look for smoke when you take the Tourism and Hospitality course.

The next morning, I spoke with the duty manager, who gave me the card for the general manager. I never heard back from the general manager. I then contacted head office, and again, heard nothing back.

Don't waste your money on this place. If you don't luck out and have a great experience, no one gives a damn. They got your money... apparently that's all that matters.

Room Tip: Stay on a lower floor if you're going in and out a lot. I waited ten minutes to get on one from...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
3  Thank Cheryl M
sandvan, General Manager at Sandman Hotel Vancouver City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded February 21, 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

Again, please accept my sincere apology for the unfortunate experience due to a lack of courtesy and consideration by another guest and or visitor.

As I explained, we have a strict rule regarding smoking in an non-smoking hotel, penalties are indicated on the registration card as well as the event forms for concert dates. We do charge the guilty party for such an offence, however the biggest challenge is identifying the guilty party or guestroom, especially in this case where it seems the person smoked in the hallway.

Please consider the hotel extends every reasonable effort to communicate and extend penalty when necessary. In addition, special deep clean is also extended to ensure the smoke odor is completely cleared, an additional cost and more cost as the room is not sold until fully treated, so in essence the hotel is also a victim of the same unfortunate circumstances.

Be assured, we will continue our strict policy and be diligent in our overall process. Again, very difficult to control the actions of a very few individuals but will continue with our commitment.

Michael Lopez

Write a ReviewReviews (1,340)

Reviewed February 14, 2014

Customer service was horrible right from check-in. Took almost 30 minutes to fully check-in (clerk couldn't find our reservation, then took forever getting us our package perks). The routes to rooms were poorly laid out. Getting to the pool level from the South Tower was a labyrinth. Hot tub was luke warm at best and very murky. The suite wreaked from whatever cleaning solution was used. Very loud elevator and very noisy floor. Bed was hard as rock, drawer knobs were broken and the television was limited at best.

Breakfast at Moxies wasn't much better. Found plastic in the omelette and the waiter wasn't friendly or personable at all. Although, the omelette was removed from the bill, no apology was ever given.

Room Tip: This is a good location for Theatre goers or concert goers. Otherwise, not worth the cost
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank RAVENBRAN20
Reviewed February 14, 2014 via mobile

Check in was extremely slow and when we finally made it to the counter, they seemed pretty jaded. We weren't allowed to leave a cash deposit, however I work in the hospitality industry and know for a fact you can leave a cash deposit if you pay room cost up front + $200 deposit. But Credit Card it was. Not ideal but still alright. Parking was $20+tax/day. The room itself was nice, and the tiny balcony is a good bonus. The location is perfect, we didn't have to drive anywhere and there's plenty to do blocks away. If that doesn't work for you, there's also a sky train station just a block away. We would probably find a different place to stay but in the same location when coming to Van next.

• Stayed: February 2014
Reviewed February 11, 2014

Booked the hotel on a promotion from be vancouver,great location close to bc place and rogers arena and the edgewater casino. the room i got was on the 7th floor north tower,not a huge room but fit the bill and for 100 bucks was great,bathrooms was small but nicely updated and the bed was comfortable . well worth the money for a quick overnight trip aand would stay there again

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank ray w
Reviewed February 8, 2014 via mobile

Good hotel overall however the wifi is pointlessly slow so I had to use data the bathrooms are pretty crammed and tiny especially the toilet being behind the door and the shower you have to run for a bit to make it not hot or cold. The headboard had grease marks on it and the room was always cold or hot but overall it wasn't too bad

Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 4, 2014

Right beside the stadium. Some interesting restaurants a short walk away. Near Yaletown if you want more choices and although it is close to Robson it is not close to the stores on Robson as they are a long walk away.

Service hit and miss, depends if a tour bus arrives when you arrive or wants to check out when you do. Hotel is cut into a few vertical wings around separate elevator halls so that cuts down on the wait times and noise.

Shark club is kinda seedy and Moxies kinda loud are the 2 in hotel restaurant/bars.

Room Tip: If you are in the rainy season you can try the connected restaurant bars and not get wet!
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed February 2, 2014

We stayed at the hotel on Jan 28th 2014 and we got 2 rooms and we got to are room ,As entering the bathroom the bathroom handle came off as we could not close the bathroom door as when they put new tile on they forgot to shave the door ,toilet lid was half off .So that was not a good start of a stay..so in the morning went for a shower and as taking a shower the tub fill with water drain plugged Like REALLY ...where is maintenance room checks ,then went to shave and bathroom sink had stopper but no control handle to open and close plug in sink ..reported to front desk not impressed with comment from front desk personal,to top it off we got locked out in underground parking Gate was broken for 35 mins..

Room Tip: let you know when I figure it out
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family