“Don't do it......”

Ranked #68 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
London
“Don't do it......”
Reviewed July 1, 2008

Unexpected we needed accommodation in Vancouver , we were limited on availability and ended up at the Sandman Hotel.

The rooms were dated and the beds uncomfortable, we spent two nights without hot water as the whole of the north tower had plumbing problems .

I didn't find the staff very friendly and reception was always just full of suitcases from the coach parties that arrived daily .

Best thing about this hotel was the view from the room.

• Liked — The View from our room
  • Disliked — Not having hot water for two days...
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with friends
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
RDMSandman, Rooms Division Manager at Sandman Hotel Vancouver City Centre, responded to this review, July 30, 2008
Thank you for choosing The Sandman Hotel Vancouver City Centre for your recent stay.

I regret to learn of your unpleasant experience during your stay with us. Please accept my apology for the difficultiies you encountered.

I am concerned about the issues you have mentioned in your review. All of our beds have been replaced within the last year and a half, we are also currently renovating our guest rooms with a more modern decor, some are already completed. I do not have the specifics of the hot water issue during your stay, so I would like to be in contact with you so I can have the details of the shortfalls you have mentioned.

Your comments are important to us, as it allows to use as a training tool for our team members.

Once again, please accept my apologies.

You may reach me directly at adonne@sandman.ca

Regards,

Allison Donne | Rooms Division Manager
SANDMAN HOTEL VANCOUVER CITY CENTRE
180 West Georgia | Vancouver BC | V6B 4P4

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (237)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Cardiff
Reviewed June 21, 2008

Was very concerned regarding Sandman Hotel reviews prior to Staying 4 nights in May. We requested a room in the North tower based on feedback on Trip advisor.

Overall the hotel was good, yes in some places a touch of paint may have helped and yes the lifts were slow on occasions but nothing to really moan about. Our room was of a good size with a good view over the city. Staff were friendly giving advice on where to eat however food and service was excellent at Moxey's bar that is located within the hotel.

This hotel was exactly what we paid for, a 3* city hotel in a reasionable location.

If you want fast lifts and rooms that you can car park your truck in then go up the road and stay at the Metropole and pay 5 times the price!

Oh yes Vancouver was great...must see Stanley park and Grouse mountain.

• Liked — Moxey bar and resturant
  • Disliked — Liifts were a bit slow but nothing to cry about.
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
crieff scotland
Reviewed June 15, 2008

We stayed 6 nights here and can't say much good about any of them. I had booked a twin room and we were given a double. This was rectified the next day but the room was the same tired, decor as Calgary. The check in manager was at pains to tell us that it was still a family owned chain. Well it's time the family tried staying at some of their hotels.
The bedside lamp was faulty but the girl who came to check it said just give it a wiggle!! The towels you could spit through,the decor needed an uplift more than me and all together we were glad to go.

Incidentally we found Vancouver had a lot of down and outs, a couple of whom bedded down close to the hotel.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk

Travelers are raving about these Vancouver hotels

Manchester, UK
Reviewed March 31, 2008

I stayed here for a week with my wife and in-laws and can't really fault the place. The front desk staff were very friendly upon arrival and this continued throughout our stay providing some useful recommendations on places to eat.

I found the rooms to be pretty spacious and extremely clean throughout. Our 'double' room had 2 queen size beds. Ask at front desk if you need Internet access and they will provide you with a box for your room, alternatively there is free wireless access in the lobby. The bars and restaurants in the hotel are really comfortable and serve really good food.

The hotel has a good aspect looking towards North Vancouver with big windows and plenty of light in the rooms. I recommend asking for a north facing room on the 10th floor or above for the view although it isn't as good it used to be with the ever-heightening Vancouver skyline.

The only negative points I would make are the rooms (especially bathrooms) could do with a little decoration and updating and the pool area feels a little run down being the only part of the hotel which felt slightly less clean.

• Stayed March 2008
Vancouver
Reviewed March 7, 2008

Sandman Hotel Vancouver is a dump.

Lets get this clear right now, they have given us tonight’s stay free with a promise of changing our room in the morning and charging us $130 per night rather than the $175 they tried to charge for this dive of a cramped room.

Let me start. The first thing noticed upon entering the allocated room is the strong smell of fresh enamel paint on the bathroom door, which was recently painted, reeked of paint fumes and not appropriately signed “Wet Paint”. Do you know how hard it is to remove enamel paint from your hands let alone clothing? Now using water and soap to do this is a time consuming process; but at the Sandman it is a painful process as there is no hot water. That is right, NO HOT WATER. At Midnight the gent on the front counter told me this problem had been rectified. However it is 6am now and there is only lukewarm water, not warm enough to use.

Now I am not up early in the morning – I am still up late in the night; as it seems noise plays a big factor in ones inability to get some rest. In this case we had to sleep with the window open so as to get some fresh air and rest from the paint fumes. However I have coughed all night in reaction to the fumes and now have sore throat and headache. Not to worry, nothing a hot shower and glass of juice wont fix, ha ha; shower, yeah right; well at least I can still have my cold glass of juice; WRONG again as the room doesn’t come with a mini fridge. (apparently there aren’t enough for every room) Which is sad, I did bring juice and milk, oh well I can drink from the carton. That’s how you do it in cheap dodgy hotel/motels, plus the open window in middle of a Canadian winter has helped to keep the drinks and us freezing cold.

Mmmm decor and presentation - well I am quite sure the photographs speak for themselves in this one. The wallpaper would have made my Great Grandma excited (during the depression). The beautiful use of British racing green splattered on the bathroom door to cover a very poor repair job where the door has had a hole kicked in, helps to create a sense of claustrophobia in the 1.5m x 2m bathroom, doesn’t even have soap holders in the shower. Perhaps a dropped cake of soap caused someone to slip and put their foot through the door while they were having a cold shower. Actually they could have just slipped on the wet floor; the first thing I noticed when I ran the shower for 10 minutes at Midnight to see if the water would heat up, was how water manages to make its way directly to the bathroom floor, from there the water has nowhere to go as there are no drainage points. Not to worry, we are all adults here - we can just mop it up. Providing one of you is willing to forfeit your cold shower as there are no extra towels.

Now my colleague actually seems have fallen asleep; which is a problem as I need to quietly sneak over his side of this shoebox to lodge this rant for publication. Would you believe that the power point on this side of the room doesn’t work. I should just be thankful that we now have Internet access in our room; initially we were informed that if I wish to use the internet I must do so in the lobby where they have wireless.

If you do come here, please whatever you do, only come here for the most amazing restaurant “Moxies” is it great, or to party in the downstairs night club. Think hard and long before staying at the Sandman Hotel Vancouver. Sandman Hotel = 1 star.

• Liked — Front desk staff and Restaurant
  • Disliked — Rooms
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
sydney
Reviewed March 5, 2008

The only thing going for this hotel is its position within walking distance to Gas town ,China town and Library Square. The rooms are shabby although ours was clean. The heating was inadequate! ! The staff were not interested in rectifying the problem and on the whole were a surly bunch .
Moxies was very expensive and the food only adequate and inconsistent. Ordered a steak sandwich on two occasions , one was delicious and the other almost inedible due to overpowering sauce over the whole thing.
The hotel was very noisy.
Loved Vancouver but would never stay at this hotel again.

• Liked — its location
  • Disliked — general tattiness
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
Victoria
Reviewed February 19, 2008

If you love to party this is your hotel, otherwise don't stay here.
Cheap but not worth it.